Pawtucket
Nook's Fancy Turnip
Silver Trophy (Second Place)
Lost Book
Tortimer
Famous Mushroom
June 07, 2023
Dear Diary,

A dead president from another universe once said, "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."Wise words. Well, let me tell you something: you most definitely can.

After B tipped me off to the fact that unfriendly forces planned to converge on my apartment building that very nightā€”perhaps the only thing heā€™s ever done that hasnā€™t resulted in loss of life, limb, or fundsā€”I knew it was time. I caught the 2:12 a.m. train with nothing but the clothes off my back and two black eyes.

I had planned to stay vigilant throughout the journey, knowing I wasnā€™t safe yet and probably never truly would be, but the second the train started creaking down the rails, I nodded off. I donā€™t know how much time passed, but it didnā€™t matter. I was staying on until the end of the line.

1686833912600.png

image credit b/c i forgot to screenshot rover oops

Until I was rudely shoved awake by a pair of paws demanding to know who I was and where I was going. I panicked until I realized that he was just your run-of-the-mill, manic, red-eyed, coffee-guzzling busybody. Not thinking much of it, I spouted off random phrases. To my horror, he announced, eyes gleaming with feverish glee, that I had uttered the name of the very next stop.

Needless to say, I had to get away from this weirdo.

Once the train began screeching to a halt, I practically threw myself onto the platform. Rubbing the sleep out of my swollen eyes, I staggered through the train station, only to be blinded by harsh sunlight and four eager faces. Had they found me? Here? Already?

HNI_0076.JPG

No. My heart slowed as I realized that all of the faces were unfamiliar, and, more importantly, unassuming. Only then did I start listening to what any of them were going on about.

Mayor? "Bug"? I stumbled over my words, weakly attempting to correct themā€”no, I'm not the mayor of anything, no, I'm...

... until I realized that this was the best opportunity I'd had in a long time. A chance to make something of myself. The right way, the honest way. Andā€”I checked my phone and realized there was no cell signal, no WiFi, nothingā€”a chance to leave everything else behind and not be found.

HNI_0078.JPG

And that's how I became Mayor Bug of Mushroom Town.

HNI_0089.JPG

There's a lot more to explain, diary, but my head aches from everything I've been through these past few weeks, and from all of the excitement of today. I have to make plans. I need to figure out everything that I'm supposed to knowā€”mayoral skills, yes, but also how to survive when all I have is a tent and a broken lantern.

Those are, as B would unhelpfully say, tomorrow problems. I'll see you then.

Yours,
Mayor Bug

Back