Why are cicada shells rare?

I found 3, knocked off 2 and somehow managed to get the third one. I caught it early last month when the cicadas showed up but it was truly a pain. I haven't been actively looking for another shell but I haven't seen anymore in passing. I'm not sure why they're so rare, it's just a shell and not even a true living bug.

I Just try to clean out a mystery island of flowers and line up the trees and run side to side scareing off the one i do not need away. It work for me as it take longer but easy to spot when they do spawn

I had never ever seen a cicada shell up until one or two weeks ago, then I started seeing them very often. I wonder if there was a bug associated with them that recently got patched. I saw my first on an orange tree (with no fruit on it at the time), then a day later I found a few more also on orange trees (I think this time with fruit on them). Idk, super weird since they are suppose to be "common," idk why we are all having a hard time getting them to spawn. Also another one is the stick bug- I hadn't seen that thing ever either until recently I saw ONE. That's it. Again, weird since it too is suppose to be "common."

I've not found them that hard to come across.

I think I found the first one within a few days of the cicadas appearing, and must have found another dozen or so since.

They're super easy to catch, as they don't move!

Now the golden stag was a nightmare to find...

Now the golden stag was a nightmare to find...

That I can agree on. Giraffe stag is also a nightmare (still looking for it). If it helps, I've caught three golden stags, all around 2AM on palm trees.

No clue. I found one by accident one day. I didn't even know it was a cicada shell.

I find them all the time.
Probably because I'm not looking, and I have lots of hardwood trees.

I found three to get a model rather quickly.

That I can agree on. Giraffe stag is also a nightmare (still looking for it). If it helps, I've caught three golden stags, all around 2AM on palm trees.

I got really lucky with the giraffe stag and caught one within a couple of days, not realising that I wouldn't see another one for two months!

As for the golden stag, I ended up going to a mystery island and farming bugs on the palm trees. It took an hour to find one. By the time I'd done, I had six scarabs, which to that point I thought were super rare!

I got really lucky with the giraffe stag and caught one within a couple of days, not realising that I wouldn't see another one for two months!

As for the golden stag, I ended up going to a mystery island and farming bugs on the palm trees. It took an hour to find one. By the time I'd done, I had six scarabs, which to that point I thought were super rare!

I actually caught one earlier today. Almost spat out my drink from the excitement when I saw it. Sad, I know.

I actually caught one earlier today. Almost spat out my drink from the excitement when I saw it. Sad, I know.

Not sad at all. Catching bugs is the only stressful thing in this game.

That feeling of joy when you finally find that rare bug is quickly replaced with sheer dread when you realise you now need to catch it.

Tip-toeing closer to a bug, net poised as one of your villagers stumbles ever closer in the background ready to scare it away at any moment is legitimately anxiety-inducing.

The first time I found a scarab, I realised it was 7:59...and they disappear at 8:00! The sheer terror of that moment matched anything a Resident Evil game has thrown at me.

It's not the same with fish, as you can always reassure yourself that it was probably just a sea bass and you'll never know you just let a mahi-mahi get away. With the insects, the game shows you your prize and then forces you to catch it!

I cought 3 of them. They are really rare, I haven't see any lately. I'm having difficult time catching bugs that are from coconut trees

That is so strange, especially given how many of them there are in the summer irl! I don't know why they are rare, I can't comment based off of experience since it's winter in the southern hemisphere but there are a few insects I have had an awful lot of trouble with. Maybe try visiting a few mystery islands to see if any spawn there? Idk

Wait, they're rare?
I've caught like 2 or 3 so far and I don't catch often lol. I remember releasing one of them a few days ago djsjfjsk 😭

I feel like I live on bug island, have seen it mentioned in so many places that the shell is so hard to find, yet I see a few everyday.

anytime I found one, it was on a hardwood tree. I don't know if that is the only tree they spawn on, but I never found one on a ceder, fruit, nor coconut tree.

I found one and donated it. Since then I have only seen two...one I caught and one fell off the tree...argh.

I wonder if the game has a mechanic where some critters are more likely to spawn on some islands than others, even the ones that are supposed to be common. This would explain why I've seen creatures some people never seem to find but struggle with others that some players find really easily. This is just a theory, of course.

I wonder if the game has a mechanic where some critters are more likely to spawn on some islands than others, even the ones that are supposed to be common. This would explain why I've seen creatures some people never seem to find but struggle with others that some players find really easily. This is just a theory, of course.

Idk if this is confirmed but this is definitely the case on my island. My island was a golden trout hot spot yet I couldn't find a single stringfish with 400+ bait. Although, from the experiences I've read, cicada shells being a rare spawn seems to be the case for everyone's islands. It's likely that they just upped the rarity of cicada shells for whatever reason + made it a nook mile reward for your hunting efforts lol.

I found one randomly on my island, but what I did to get the first one, was a tour island, clean it and only leave the trees, run around and eventually you will find it, took me about two hours.

guess multi quote doesn't work
Post automatically merged:

I definitely think so, I find cicada shells all the time, but even in the time frame when it appears I rarely see walking sticks

Back