• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

What’s your first language?

What’s your first language?

• Total voters
English, I took some Spanish in high school but don't remember any of it. I took some Italian in college and have also been studying it on my own now so I'm hoping to get good at that someday. Eventually I'd love to learn Japanese as well.

German is my native language. My second language was Portuguese (my dad is Portuguese). I can’t speak it anymore though.

In school I learned English, French and Spanish. Only English really stuck with me - and it’s my preferred language to communicate in, even over my native language. I study English now.

Reactions: Raz
English is my first language. My second language is Farsi, although I only learned how to speak it well when I moved to California four years ago since my relatives don't speak English well. I can even write in Farsi and understand it as well, which is in Arabic script. I learned German in high school and currently I can speak it at an intermediate level. I'm currently learning French in college because I like art and I want to travel to France one day. I did learn some French in kindergarten when I took an after-school program, although I didn't learn much French back then since I was just a small child. I can understand Hindi too because my colleagues are Indian and my mom grew up in India. I also want to learn Turkish in the future.

Last edited:
My first language is English, and I know probably just enough to get me by in Spanish. (The basics + a little more)
I also know very minimal Urdu.

I swear I've answered this thread already. Or maybe there's another one?

Anyway, my first/native language is Portuguese (Brazilian Portuguese, to be more precise).

Englishhhhh but I'm also semi-fluent in French and know some sign language. I'm better with written communication though as lip reading is harder in another language and I rely on it a lot.

My first language is Russian. I started learning English at 5 when I moved to Canada so English is my primary language now. I wouldn’t feel confident writing say, an academic paper in Russian because my vocabulary isn’t sophisticated, it’s a child’s vocabulary with not a lot of progression (partially my fault, I am trying to immerse myself in Russian using language apps to develop a more adult vocabulary). Overall it kind of feels like English is my first language even though it’s not.

My first language, from when I was small, was Hungarian, but I don't speak it anymore... I just speak English now.

Mine is English but I’m doing German on Duolingo just to learn some basics. That xiaomanyc guy on Youtube makes me want to learn more languages.

My first language is Spanish but I mainly speak English since I got used to it more. I used to speak Spanish for the entirety of my childhood until I learned English in school then I got used to it more and more until it dominated over Spanish. I can still read, write, and speak it fluently though buy I do tend to forget things from time to time. O~o

English. As a Canadian I was almost put in French Immersion as a child but my Mom decided against it as neither of my parents knew French so learning it would have been too difficult as they wouldn't have been able to help.

I do know a little bit of French as a second language due to regular French classes in school but not enough to carry on a conversation. I've also picked up the odd word in Japanese here and there due to being into a lot of Japanese media.

I consider my only language to be English as I just don't know enough of the others.

My native language is Polish. I can speak, write, and read pretty fluently, but I think I'd be a bit lost speaking with someone my age since I wouldn't be able to understand a lot of slang teenagers/young adults use.

I'm natively an English speaker pretty boring haha! I attempted to learn Japanese a few times but I just don't have the patience to learn a secondary language unfortunately :( I was homeschooled so I didn't have language class

English. I took some Spanish in high school but that is long gone. You use it or you lose it. Unfortunately I don't speak the smart-sounding English that they speak across the pond, but at least I don't have a southern accent either.

I speak English and a little Japanese. I learn languages at a very slow pace, which is difficult since Japanese is my major. College language class are just so fast paced. It becomes so overwhelming that I end up not remembering anything. The methods that do help are flashcards and talking to myself in the language. It’s not practical, but it works.

my first language is spanish!!! but im also fluent in english and know a bit of french but i domt practice it ver often so im losing the knwoledge lol :(...

Dutch for me! I did learn a bit of French and German in school, and although I was never any good at French I can still sort of keep a conversation in German.

As for English, I might use it as much as if not more than Dutch. It's just everywhere here, both on- and offline, to the point where I've noticed it's in my dreams. All my digital devices are also set to English and seeing them in Dutch just looks weird at this point.

My first language is English, but I'm learning Japanese in high school, and I know some Chinese from my family. In the future, I really want to learn more languages, especially Korean and German.

English, though I can translate a lot of things written in Spanish as well (not really fluent verbally in it though). I want to learn Japanese, but it’s just really difficult the older you get.

Back