• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What you love and what you hate about it.

cheezu

Bells
Switch
0044-9828-4409
Cake
Pear (Fruit)
I'm not sure if there's a similar thread to this already but I couldn't find one so thought I'd start my own and we could add to it. Would be interesting to see what people agree with. Note that some of these may overlap slightly so although I might love a certain aspect of the game it could also have some potential disadvantages - I hope that makes sense.

What I love about it -
1. I think the main thing (and I know that it may sound a little lame) is that you can control the way your character looks right from the start and you also have the option of altering it later on to keep things interesting.
2. The fact that you're not obliged to play every single day which puts way less pressure on you as the player.
3. The fact that you don't have to worry about your favorite villagers moving away and you can essentially collect all the villagers in the series and design homes for them.
4. Easier access/arranging of furniture.
6. All the food items... because yeah, I'm a foodie. lol.

What I hate about it -
1. While it's nice that you're not pressured to play every single day, it'd also be nice to get more incentives to play - like getting rewarded based on how many houses you do per day, etc.
2. It REALLY annoys me that I'm forced to end my working day after I do just ONE house.
3. Very little interaction with the villagers and they seem more robotic than ever before.
4. One of the biggest drawbacks (for me) is the fact that you get the same reaction no matter how much work you've put into a house. The villagers are just as thrilled if you only unbox their "wishlist" items and leave it at that. Also, the fact that you can't piss off any of the villagers by going against their wishes. You essentially HAVE to use the boxed items that are in the house to begin with or you won't be able to complete your job.
5. While the fact that you unlock everything so quickly has some advantages (like being able to design fairly decent interiors early on in the game), it also gets boring quickly. One of the biggest thrills of New Leaf, at least for me, was unlocking the items as the game progressed.
6. I miss playing with my friends, trading with them and visiting their towns. Would be great if we could visit each other's main streets at least.
7. The lack of the player's house. While I know that this isn't the usual Animal Crossing, it'd still be nice to have my own house. I think it would make the experience a lot more tangible and special.

I may add on to this list later on if I can think of any other things. If you have anything that you wish to add, leave your comments below. I'd love to read them.

Yeah the fact that everything's confined into "working days" can be such a pain. So I just finished a house, the game saves, and now I have to return to my desk and save again? Ugh.

Yeah the fact that everything's confined into "working days" can be such a pain. So I just finished a house, the game saves, and now I have to return to my desk and save again? Ugh.

My sentiments exactly. I find it quite pointless.

The worst thing is that you can't pick the pictures you want to use for the HHD (just the last one you took), and there's no way to take a photo of the exterior first. So if I want proper pics of the garden, I need to redo the house because I can't do it the first time if I still want to upload an interior pic. Which sucks because it's a huge waste of time and I lose the house's original theme name.

(I'm very particular about not being in the pic myself and the angles from the additional camera thing just suck.)

I really like your points and agree with pretty much everything! I do wish the villagers were more critical and had higher standards, and I wish you could not have their favourite items (eg. Tammy's request for a haunted Halloween house looks way better without the silly Spooky Furniture she makes you use), and have them be displeased with you.

3. Very little interaction with the villagers and they seem more robotic than ever before.

This is true, but I also like that each villager has their own request for you, which gives them each a little bit more individual personality (rather than being completely identical to other Smugs, for example).

I really like your points and agree with pretty much everything! I do wish the villagers were more critical and had higher standards, and I wish you could not have their favourite items (eg. Tammy's request for a haunted Halloween house looks way better without the silly Spooky Furniture she makes you use), and have them be displeased with you.

When you mean higher standards do you mean like the hotel request where you have to have a certain number of things? Or perhaps tiers of that? Eg. One chair=Meh, One chair and a table= Okay, Spooky theme with items mentioned before= great

This is true, but I also like that each villager has their own request for you, which gives them each a little bit more individual personality (rather than being completely identical to other Smugs, for example).
True but I think some of the requests are very similar too like cafes or boxing/wrestling rings. That doesn't even bother me too much but when I visit them in their homes, it'd be nice if they entertained me a bit more I suppose. They only have two lines of dialogue basically.

I love making the houses for all of the villagers! Just wish it had a bit more stuff to do, its not a game I can play over and over again. I wish we could build our own house as well :D

I don't like how they did the catalog. To many sub categories with items that shouldn't be in there.
They should have an outdoor section with garden, benches, lamp, cars and other things.

Wish the house to face a different direction.
Camera outside would be helpful for decorating and for visitors. It's nice seeing the picture but when you go to visit you can't see things.

What I like:
I get to have my favorite villagers, and I don't have to worry about them moving out.
The amount of customization you can use on the houses is astounding. You can make some truly cool stuff.
How easy it is to move furniture and objects. No more slowly pushing things around.
Lottie. Alot of people seem to think she's odd, but I like her. She's adorable.

What I don't like:
Isabelle leaving after you finish all the projects. Why'd she have to go?
The sporadic nature of the villagers you get requests from. Sometimes you'll see the same one a different time you boot up the game, or you'll see a bunch you don't really care much for. They should just give you a list.
How alot of the requests are somewhat similar. I've seen several villagers want a "Space" or "Sci-Fi" style house.
The fact that we STILL can't put a long fish tank on top of a LONG table. WHY!?

2. The fact that you're not obliged to play every single day which puts way less pressure on you as the player.

This so much. I hated the every single day checkup in NL or your hard work could be ruined just like that. I loved designing in the main game so I will probably like this. As long as you have other games on your 3ds it shouldn't be too boring.

There's probably more to both that I haven't thought of or listed. I'm just tired of typing this, so, I'm posting what I have right now.

What I Like/love:
  • Designing houses/facilities
  • Amiibo cards ~ being able to summon villagers in facilities or at another villager's house
  • Being able to look at and visit other people's designs
  • More slots to save custom designs
  • Being able to use custom designs that were made in ACNL
  • Not in "real time" like ACNL is; can spend as much time designing house as I want and put it in sleep mode, without worrying about chores and other things I'd worry about doing every day in ACNL
  • No limit to how many houses I design or how many villagers I have in my town; I don't have to "move out" anyone
  • No limit to how many times I want to remodel their houses or create a brand new one
  • Can put items on Gorgeous Dresser; couldn't do so in ACNL

What I Dislike/hate:

• The last three houses I made/am making that I remodeled the main room to the largest size available; I hit the item limit before I could thoroughly fill up the room. While 64 items for a room does seem a lot, when the game allows you to expand to a size that fits more than that, it actually seems to me to be a pretty small number; I think that the item limit should change or not exist at all.
  • The second and third rooms are only 6x6. I find this just as much as a hindrance to my creativity as the item limit is.
  • Your custom designs' "small" size being 9 tiles total; I find this amount sometimes useful but, I would like there to be a 2x4 option or something.
  • Happy Home Network ~ something about it bothers me; I don't know if I like or dislike the rating system. I know I'd like to have more views and ratings on mine; posting my designs on other websites doesn't seem to be helping much. I notice that the designs that are shown aren't the same every day; I'm looking for someone that I used to have on my favorites list and I know i found her for the first time by searching by resident [Pango; and there's another one I found by looking up designs for Rosie], but now, I can no longer find her.
  • NintendoZone! How about make the DLC available to download at home instead of having to drive to a NintendoZone location every time there's new content available? <.<
  • Price of a pack of 6 ($5.99) ~ it's pretty expensive (I used to collect MtG cards and I thought I got more out of those boosters than these for a dollar or so cheaper; yes, I know they don't have a chip that functions with an electronic device)
  • Can't choose the largest room upgrade right away; you have to remodel the house a few times before it becomes available
  • Villagers being happy even if I all I do is open the boxes of the items they want me to use
  • Only one house can be designed per day
  • Can't put items on some counter items that I could in ACNL; for example: classic desk

I agree with pretty much everything on this thread so far.

I would like to add that I wish you could keep the original theme if you wanted when you remodel a villagers home. It would make it easier to remember what kind of house they wanted when you have more items to work with.

[*]Your custom designs' "small" size being 9 tiles total; I find this amount sometimes useful but, I would like there to be a 2x4
[*]Price of a pack of 6 ($5.99) ~ it's pretty expensive (I used to collect MtG cards and I thought I got more out of those boosters than these for a dollar or so cheaper; yes, I know they don't have a chip that functions with an electronic device)
[/LIST]

Going with the design part, I wish there was a way to make the design small, medium or large but not make it tiled. I wish it were the design just enlarged.

As for the price, just be glad you get six for $6 and not 3 for the same price like they do in Europe.

[*]The last three houses I made/am making that I remodeled the main room to the largest size available; I hit the item limit before I could thoroughly fill up the room. While 64 items for a room does seem a lot, when the game allows you to expand to a size that fits more than that, it actually seems to me to be a pretty small number; I think that the item limit should change or not exist at all.

[/LIST]

Yes, I've noticed this too. It almost defeats the purpose of having a bigger room in the first place. I'm not a huge fan of crowded interiors, but it wasn't allowing me to use more items where there were still parts of the room that were completely empty or the walls were barren.

I like that you get to have a larger amount of villagers than in new leaf, and the designing aspects.. but I don't like the 'working day' aspect (you can only design one house per working day), that there is no free roam (walking around the town), no villager interactions, and that you can't design your own house.

I don't know if it's been said before but I don't like the trees taking up four squares, and when you plant flowers around them it looks a bit awkward. But that's just a detail!
I've been enjoying it so far. I've taken breaks from it but I still find myself picking it up again after a while. :)

[*]Price of a pack of 6 ($5.99) ~ it's pretty expensive (I used to collect MtG cards and I thought I got more out of those boosters than these for a dollar or so cheaper; yes, I know they don't have a chip that functions with an electronic device)
Tell me about it... it's roughly $8-$10 for a pack of 3 here in Poland. If it was $6 for six cards I'd actually collect them.

Good stuff:
* My favourite thing about this game, is possibly the half spaces. You have no idea how hard it is for me to design my ACNL houses now that I've got used to this luxury. Oh, and rugs!
* More QR slots. I really needed that.
* It's really relaxing. And no pressure to play everyday.
* Being able to save in the middle of designing. I take forever, so this is really useful for me.
* Being able to have all villagers at once.
* Ceiling items!
* Unleashing creativity, yay!
* Being able to visit other people's designs in HHN. I really enjoy it.

Bad stuff:
* Freaking catalog. The categories are absolutely confusing and annoying. I never know where to look for other things than basic stuff like chairs and beds.
* Outrageous amiibo card prices in Europe - for packs of 3, while other regions got 6. Thank you Nintendo for screwing your European fanbase once again. Honestly, I have no idea why you're still getting my money. I kinda hate you at this point.
* I don't really like how the desired theme of a house doesn't show up when you redesign it. I enjoy designing what the villagers want, but I often go around just opening the boxes to unlock new stuff and then forget what they wanted when I come back to actually design the house.
* The music during designing is absolutely annoying.
* Being unable to design my own house.
* Being unable to change the jacket's color.
* Item limit. ):
* Nintendo zone bullwaste. There are no Nintendo zones in my country at all. Once again, thanks Nintendough. If you are going to bother with a mechanic like this, you could at least put a few of these around EU countries.
* More custom design rug sizes would be nice.
* Having to re-do houses to make them bigger.
* Every villager of a certain type having the exact same dialogue when you design their house.
* I wish there was some kind of note/marking system. So if I leave a house unfinished and want to come back to it later, I can note what the theme was or some ideas. Marking system for marking clients in the client book - to know which ones to redesign, etc.

Last edited:
What I'm reading so far, I agree with all of the pros and cons. I didn't unlock the items I'm not that far in the game but it gets boring after a bit...I only play HHD when I just want a quick break from homework and I do like it that I can do only one house per day (but that's just me) The only thing I don't like it's the packs are 6$. I'm a huge collector but damn, that's pretty expensive. Maybe it's because you can scan but I don't know. A little bit pricey. In my opinion, Happy Home Designer is great. It's only for designing homes what else do you expect? Lol. I didn't expect anything great expect the fact I get to design homes in a whole different way. Also keep in mind the target audience is for kids so don't be upset when the animals don't get upset if you mess up on their design.

Also keep in mind the target audience is for kids so don't be upset when the animals don't get upset if you mess up on their design.

I sometimes don't feel that way when I am browsing the Happy Home Network. But maybe that's because I can read the Japanese text of the Japanese players. There's been a bunch of NSFW and NSFW-like (basically innuendo hinting towards things) houses that get popular. The Japanese even sometimes design houses to complain about all of the NSFW houses. ^_^;;

I'm surprised I've seen no complaints about it yet from non-Japanese... but again, maybe it's because people can't read the titles they give their house designs or the signs they put in the houses.

Tell me about it... it's roughly $8-$10 for a pack of 3 here in Poland. If it was $6 for six cards I'd actually collect them.

Bad stuff:
* Freaking catalog. The categories are absolutely confusing and annoying. I never know where to look for other things than basic stuff like chairs and beds.
* Outrageous amiibo card prices in Europe - for packs of 3, while other regions got 6. Thank you Nintendo for screwing your European fanbase once again. Honestly, I have no idea why you're still getting my money. I kinda hate you at this point.
* I don't really like how the desired theme of a house doesn't show up when you redesign it. I enjoy designing what the villagers want, but I often go around just opening the boxes to unlock new stuff and then forget what they wanted when I come back to actually design the house.
* Nintendo zone bullwaste. There are no Nintendo zones in my country at all. Once again, thanks Nintendough. If you are going to bother with a mechanic like this, you could at least put a few of these around EU countries.

This, the catalog is just so much bs. LIke, make better symbols or write "outdoor item", "mats" etc. -_- And yeah those amiibo cards prices why even bother and you can get them at like 2 place here where I live so uh no.

I guess I have a few places but really what's wrong with their wi-fi nintendcrap.

Back