• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Visitors...

island.chill

takis dust
Bells
Does anybody know why I have been getting the NPC islanders coming to my house as visitors more than I used to???

I actually feel like that’s happening me too! I had three of them yesterday…

My best guess is that you're close friends with them. And while I don't go in my house often, I assume this is part of the friendships you address with them.

I only remember in New Leaf, only one villager can appear in your house every given day.

New Horizons is absolutely obnoxious with its rate of visitors. Once you reach a certain friendship level with a number of them, it becomes nigh impossible to get any decorating done because they appear at your door so frequently.

Yeah, this was the only thing in the 2.0 reveal video that I didn't react with much fanfare to. They come more often than New Leaf, that's for sure. There should've been a "do not disturb" sign or something to hang on your door so that they don't just randomly barge in when you're redecorating, and thus lock out the decorating controls. At least if you're not in the main room, you have the hidden option to make them go away, as long as you don't leave the room you're in. They'll eventually get bored and leave.

However, I can't recall the last time I did it, because I think they came back 5 minutes later. I'll need to verify it next time it happens to me.

Yeah, this was the only thing in the 2.0 reveal video that I didn't react with much fanfare to. They come more often than New Leaf, that's for sure. There should've been a "do not disturb" sign or something to hang on your door so that they don't just randomly barge in when you're redecorating, and thus lock out the decorating controls. At least if you're not in the main room, you have the hidden option to make them go away, as long as you don't leave the room you're in. They'll eventually get bored and leave.

However, I can't recall the last time I did it, because I think they came back 5 minutes later. I'll need to verify it next time it happens to me.
I also had a quick question: Can they come in while you are decorating in your home??? I have never had it happen to me when in Build Mode.

I also had a quick question: Can they come in while you are decorating in your home??? I have never had it happen to me when in Build Mode.
They won’t bother you if you’re in decorating mode. If you’re in a room in your house other than the central main room and they knock, just ignore them and wait a few minutes in the room you’re in; they’ll eventually assume you’re not home and leave.

It’s a hidden way to refuse them entry, but they’ll just barge on in anyway if you’re in the center room. I actually don’t really force my villagers to leave unless I’m actually decorating and they’re hindering my progress. For some reason, I feel kind of bad if I’m being rude to my virtual animals, but eh. I’ve got mental problems.

Not in build mode, but the moment you exit out of it, they may immediately knock at the door.

So if you're like me and you tend to be terrible with accidentally exiting out of menus, it's a really vexing experience. If they do enter, however, you can usually just head to the front door to leave and tell them you're heading out. They will then leave of their own accord. It doesn't take that much time, but it is really quite an unnecessary frustration.

New Horizons is absolutely obnoxious with its rate of visitors. Once you reach a certain friendship level with a number of them, it becomes nigh impossible to get any decorating done because they appear at your door so frequently.
It's not nearly as bad as in New Leaf ... I had a toilet upstairs in my NL house that I used to sit on until the uninvited guest got fed up and left !! xD When they announced that the featrure was returning n the 2.0 update I almost cried. Thankfully, my villagers are quite sparing with their intrusions !! Not that I need to enter my house much now anyway :/

On the plus side, it's always an extra opportunity to snag a villager photo xD

Not in build mode, but the moment you exit out of it, they may immediately knock at the door.

So if you're like me and you tend to be terrible with accidentally exiting out of menus, it's a really vexing experience. If they do enter, however, you can usually just head to the front door to leave and tell them you're heading out. They will then leave of their own accord. It doesn't take that much time, but it is really quite an unnecessary frustration.
Do you have any tips on making them leave?

Do you have any tips on making them leave?
Like I said, the only thing as far as I'm aware that will hasten their leaving is heading out the front door yourself.

It's not nearly as bad as in New Leaf ... I had a toilet upstairs in my NL house that I used to sit on until the uninvited guest got fed up and left !! xD When they announced that the featrure was returning n the 2.0 update I almost cried. Thankfully, my villagers are quite sparing with their intrusions !! Not that I need to enter my house much now anyway :/

On the plus side, it's always an extra opportunity to snag a villager photo xD
I don't recall having this problem quite so severely in New Leaf. Perhaps I just didn't get my friendship levels high enough, but in New Horizons, it's nearly every other minute the moment I enter the house.

I dealt with this A LOT on a previous island from Velma and Sylvia. It was just them. Thankfully, my other villagers knew better than to barge in on me. I mean, I love Velma and Sylvia to death, but it did drive me insane at times. If I had a penny for everytime they did this, I would be rich...

As you can tell by my signature, I've only had my current island since August 23rd, so it should take some more time for it to happen. I am at the point where I can give gifts to almost all my villagers, but thankfully, I think it does take a considerable amount of more time for the barge-ins to start. I have been in and out of my house a lot, and thankfully no barge-ins.

Like I said, it was just Velma and Sylvia on that previous island who would barge in, so if my game has some type of personality glitch, I will only have to worry about Katt and Astrid (and Sylvia again and Mathilda once I get them) doing it. Then again, it could just be that particular island that was bugged. I guess we will see in due time... ._.

. . .
And do not get me started on my experience with barge-ins in New Leaf. It would happen to me at some of the most atrocious times.
* I remember it happening multiple times when I was trying to place furniture.
* I think I remember getting barged in on while I was on vacation in real life. Thankfully, we didn't have plans right away and I had time, but yeah...I mean, it's not like the villagers know, but still. O___o
* And I remember going on a rampage here on the forums on the night of February 18, 2020 because of a very shocking barge-in. I learned some new things that night. I learned that the same villager can visit you two times in the same day (as long as the other one isn't a random barge in). And I also learned that villagers can do this at night. But what really got me was the fact that the same villager was already over at my house earlier that day. The first one was planned, but it still freaked me out when he later barged in that night. o_____________o

I have actually been playing a lot of New Leaf too, so wish me luck .-. .-. .-.

And for some reason, it has always been personality-bugged for me here as well. Snooties would do this to me in New Leaf too, but instead of the Uchis, it would be the Crankies.

. . .​

As you guys have probably noticed, I have the biggest love-hate relationship with this feature. I love reaping the rewards of befriending my favorite villagers, but it also makes me insane when they barge in at the most awkward times, like when you are placing furniture of managing your storage.

I really wish a DND system was implemented in the 2.0 update, so we could only get them if we want. Maybe we will get it in the next AC game. I don't want this feature gone altogether, but I don't want it at awkward times. A DND system or the like would be a good solution.

I found that also happening in my game I would race home to grab some furniture items from my inventory. Then I would have an islander knock on my door and it does feel like its happening heaps more.

I found that also happening in my game I would race home to grab some furniture items from my inventory. Then I would have an islander knock on my door and it does feel like its happening heaps more.
And this is why I have multiple outdoor storage sheds in various parts of my island. It’s not only super convenient and avoids having to face two loading screens, but you won’t get annoyed by villagers when trying to get stuff!

Its happening because you have a very high friendship with them. They won't do this if you were at a lower friendship with them.

Back