• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Villagers trying to dump the same things on me

Alphamega

Ask me about my heresy
Bells
Small Mailbox
So, as I've been playing the game for about a month, I've begun to notice a pattern. You know how you can sell things to your villagers through the flea market, right? And then they sometimes sell you items if you talk to them? Well, a couple of my villagers I've noticed have tried to sell me items that I've already sold them, believe it or not, some keeping it up even after I've refused. One villager, Pippy, spent about a good 12 days trying to dump a folding chair I sold her in Re-Tail. And I'm not kidding, it was every day she would walk up to me and be all like "Heeeey Peter, I got this nice folding chair here! Mind if I trade it for your Neutral Corner?" and various messages like that, sometimes more than once a day. Every damn time she'd try to dump that folding chair on me. Eventually by day 12, she just gave it to me without my permission, thereby ending the cycle. I then gave it over to Molly who had asked for a piece of furniture earlier that day...

...so, long story short, this has happened quite a few times and it makes some would-be tolerable villagers rather insufferable. Does this happen to anyone else?

I mail them gifts and find the item up in ReTail the day afterwards, that's mildly irritating. Especially when I've gone to the trouble of getting something that matches their theme and preference.

Don't know about your particular issue, never experienced it, because when a villager offers me anything, I always accept* and sell it straight away in ReTail to get rid of it. I'm trying to get all these wretched shirts out of circulation, but they always manage to find more of them!

*Unless it's really stupid. Merry tried to sell me an apple for 2,000 bells once. We have apple trees.

I've heard of that happening to people before. I don't think it's that abnormal.

I mail them gifts and find the item up in ReTail the day afterwards, that's mildly irritating. Especially when I've gone to the trouble of getting something that matches their theme and preference.

Don't know about your particular issue, never experienced it, because when a villager offers me anything, I always accept* and sell it straight away in ReTail to get rid of it. I'm trying to get all these wretched shirts out of circulation, but they always manage to find more of them!

*Unless it's really stupid. Merry tried to sell me an apple for 2,000 bells once. We have apple trees.

I laughed. thats really cute but funny. XD

What I hate is when they run up to me and say that have been looking everywhere for some random thing I have and they are dying to have it. So I give/trade/sell it to them and they are soooooo happy. And within days it's in retail. Really? Can't have wanted it as badly as u said then huh? I have sent them items and found them in retail as well. I have them try to sell me stuff but I've never had the same thing repeatedly. I'd say 80% of the time I'll buy/trade them but sometimes they ask ridiculous amounts for things and I say no. Or they wanna buy something off me for really cheap. And they ALWAYS want any present I get from the post office. I have to remind myself to put the item away before I go wandering or someone will corner me for it, lol

AHAHAH, oh god that's too funny.

What I hate is when they run up to me and say that have been looking everywhere for some random thing I have and they are dying to have it. So I give/trade/sell it to them and they are soooooo happy. And within days it's in retail. Really? Can't have wanted it as badly as u said then huh? I have sent them items and found them in retail as well. I have them try to sell me stuff but I've never had the same thing repeatedly. I'd say 80% of the time I'll buy/trade them but sometimes they ask ridiculous amounts for things and I say no. Or they wanna buy something off me for really cheap. And they ALWAYS want any present I get from the post office. I have to remind myself to put the item away before I go wandering or someone will corner me for it, lol

I've had stuff like that happen to me a few times as well. Jeebus, these villagers are more bipolar than the average Civilization 5 AI player. Which is a LOT, if you've ever played it. Either that or they have a severe case of short-term memory loss.

Yes, they actually seem to have their own inventories like you which is kind of cool.

Pietro always tried to give me a colourful spinning wheel (which I find amusing because he's a clown) I kept refusing to buy it or take it and eventually he forced it on me in a conversation so I sent it back to him in the post. ;)

Sell item to Reese.
Said item got put back up in Retail by a random villager.

Gave item to villager 1 as requested.
Receive said item from villager 2 as reward.

._.;

Last edited:

I remember Benjamin in my old town trying to force a Banana on me for around 3000 Bells. I liked him a little less after that incident. xD

I hate it as well when the villagers don't give you something of equal worth. I once gave Broffina a whale shark (hoping to get her picture) and she gave me a traffic cone, WTF?

Last edited:
I always accept their offers for trades/sales/rip-offs (Mira keeps selling me fake paintings then skipping off and singing - that's right, Mira, I know), seems to make them happy lol, and it's never more than a few thousand bells. If they give me something part of their house theme/something that I gave them to match their house, I'll just hold on to it until they ask me for new furniture and give it back to them.

I hate it when they empty their entire house into Re-Tail though, so I put a bunch of black roses in all the flea market spaces to stop them from selling things there.

(Mira keeps selling me fake paintings then skipping off and singing - that's right, Mira, I know)

Apollo regularly does this to me, talking about how he bought some painting from a shady looking fox (Red, obviously) and then asking me to buy it for the same price he did. Of course, all three times I've done so they've been bloody fakes.

Biff bought a dreamy tee in Re-Tail (idk why I even let him), and after that, he CONSTANTLY talked about how he needed to unload his dreamy tee and tried to sell it to me for ridiculous prices. He even lied and said he won it at a convention! I just eventually bought it from him and then sold it to Reese. -_-
My other villagers have done similar things. It's pretty irritating.

I just buy whatever they want me to buy and sell it to Reese if I don't want it. No big deal. As for the art, at least the crankies are completely up front about where they got it and that they don't know if it's fake or real. The smugs and uchis actively try to trick you into buying fakes.

Note: DO NOT ever send them COCONUT! I though fruits might be their liking and I sent everyone coconut but ALL of them tried to sell it back to me for 800 bells or push it back by saying "Please take this coconut".

One time I encounter Astrid try to send me wide-screen TV (which she bought it from me..) and I refused. Then to avoid this happen gain I threw my leftover bells on the ground and left only 200bell, talk to Astrid again, he gave me the wide-screen TV for FREE! hilarious huh? Moral of the story, be as broke as you can, they will pity you then.

Maybe they just want to catalog it ^~^

When I was trying to get the letter medals, I would send my villagers fruit, only to find out after 10 or so letters, the only thing they'd ever want to give/sell/trade to me, was the fruit I was sending them.. So for about a month, I was constantly being bombarded with bananas from all of my villagers D:

Maybe they just want to catalog it ^~^

That's actually an interesting game concept. Villagers also trying to expand their houses and get points and donate items, and in some cases pretty much competing against you for the best fish. Huh...this seems like thread inspiration time...

That happens a lot, but I'm fine with it. What really ticks me off is when I give them a refurbished item and they return it to me days later unrefurbished. It feels like I wasted ores.

Back