thoughts on vtubers?

i do watch streams a lot as they're good background noise for when i'm working so i've seen a fair amount of vtubers around. i'm not an avid fan or anything and it took a bit of getting used to but i think they're just like every other streamer now. i just don't particularly like the super animated ones that scream/screech at everything and is just too loud overrall, but that's how i feel about any streamer. i do think it's a really cool option for those who want to stream but are too shy or want to keep their lives private. some fans can be extremely parasocial (well i mean it's not like there aren't parasocial fans of vtubers but i suppose it's an extra layer of protection since u have to actually search if u want to know more info about vtubers i guess). but yeah in general, i find most of them to be pretty chill. some vtubers have really nice models that are really detailed and pretty. it's kinda crazy how much money those can cost though!

i don’t watch any, i see clips of them and they seem funny enough. a lot of them are really good at singing though; i have multiple songs in my library from them (ryushen’s voice is so pretty!). i’m pretty selective about gamers i watch anyways so it’s nothing against them, just none of them have caught my eye yet.

It would be nice if I could find one that can stay out of drama. I also don't understand why they need to rebrand so often, and change their lore, aside from switching agencies like Pikame or Henya. I just used her as an example, I don't want to get into why she had to rebrand.

I actually have two friends who are vtubers, or more accurately one of them is a pngtuber. The other though got a full model commissioned and everything, I’m honestly fond of the design.

I get the appeal, I don’t like the wider culture around it, I’m genuinely happy for those friends. I see them as my friends first ofc and not vtubers or anything but I support them doing it. Outside of that I stay away from the vtuber scene as many of them are only annoying to me and again there’s the whole culture around it. Vtubering is a very cool concept but I ain’t into the direction people have taken it.

Re: the whole waifu culture thing… yeah even on some servers I like there’s too much of general waifu culture and it’s honestly quite gross. Very gross. I don’t need to expose myself to it even more. Speaking as someone who is guilty of it to a degree I can’t believe how some channels will just revolve around it and how often it gets inserted into other conversations and it makes me feel more dysphoric but I’m getting off track as I often do.

The animation reminds me of how uncanny vrchat can look if anything but at least in vrchat you’re interacting with stuff so it’s kind of funny.

Debidebi Debiru seems funny tho. Would not watch full strems but liked some out of context stuff.

Note tho, I really don’t watch any streamers unless they’re my friends already so I can keep up with them, however I have a couple I would like to if it would align with when I was awake ig.. pattheflip and Big Yellow, neither of who are vtubers

Last edited:
I don't watch any streams from vtubers or real people but I do think vtubers are really neat! It definitely seems like a cool way to make content that still has a lot of personality without having your actual face attached to it.

Back