• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Thoughts About the New Hairstyles (Gatekeeping and Restrictions)

As a white person, I plan on actually using the short wavy hair for my character and the character I'm going to be making for my grandmother.

I feel like it's important that people try to use the correct names for the hairstyles, but not everyone knows the correct names.

Anyone can use the style they choose, as long as if it isn't to cause harm to others.

Also, I'd really like to see Nintendo do stuff like this more often, maybe with adding more bun-like hair, longer hair, and some older styles.

I'd literally pay Nintendo a trillion to see these hairstyles added back into the game.
b.jpg
c.jpg

The only other short hairstyle like these doesn't look close enough to either.
The first one is combed over, and long in the back, and quite full looking, while the closest hairstyle to this is very thin, and much shorter in the back.
And the second one is just fluffy, and has the bang strands very compact, while the closest one has the bangs farther apart, and is very thin.
Forgot to mention, photos are from the AC Fandom Wiki

It's important to listen to what black people say here, and that includes all of them. But when it comes to the fact that some black people are fine with this and some aren't, it can become difficult and confusing to know who to listen to. But every black person's views on this are as important as eachothers.

Originally I thought it was just a hairstyle in a game too, and I still believe that you can't physically stop a white person from using a black hairstyle in a game. But then I thought about hijabs, if they are ever (hopefully) integrated into the game. Would it be okay for a non-Muslim to wear a hijab in a video game? This isn't referring to creating a Muslim OC that you're playing As, but rather creating your character to reflect your own appearance and then using a hijab regardless.

I'm not Muslim and would never wear a hijab in a video game if I were playing as myself. Although the hijab is religious and black hairstyles are not, black hairstyles still have a world of culture and history that I will never fully understand.

But then I also understand the argument that this is a Japanese game, filled with Japanese characters and furniture and culture. Many people have created Japanese themed islands with likely very little understanding of the cultural meaning or impact of which Japanese items they are placing.

I just think this is a really confusing thing and my only solid viewpoint on it is that you can't assume someone is white based on their skin colour, and some mixed race whitepassing people still have naturally black hairstyles. Other than that, I just don't know.

I might wear dreads today.

Yeah. I will.

And I'm white.

Who is going to see?
Who is going to care?

Nobody.

Last edited:
Back