• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Thinking about buying

Unknownwyzeguy

Bells
Hello all wasn't sure where to post this.
I played Animal Crossing years ago on gamecube and loved it. Was wondering if it's like it in terms of the gameplay?
Any ups and downs would be nice too.

Thank you :) P.S I own a 3DS XL not sure if that makes a difference in the gameplay

I think the major difference is the fact that you're the mayor and therefore has much more control over the town. I would highly recommend it for not only first-time Animal Crossing players, but ones who have played t before whether that be a long time ago.

I think the only downside is that it can control your life, heheh. ;)

Basically what LunaLight said. I've been playing Animal Crossing since Wild World, and I think New Leaf is the best entry to date. You're the mayor now, so you have a lot of control over how the town looks via public works projects. And the sewing machine in the Able Sisters shop makes adding paths to your town a cinch with QR codes.

Plus there's an update coming in November to add Amiibo functionality; we just don't know much about it yet, other than using the Amiibo cards from Happy Home Designer to invite said villager(s) into your town.

I love that you can refurbish the furniture. You can create really fun, one of a kind pieces for your house.

You can swim in the ocean and catch new underwater critters.

The dream suite is one of my favorite new features.

There's much more, but too much to mention. If you liked the Game Cube version, you should love New Leaf.

Thank you for the fast responses I think I'm going to pick it up. Saw that it is on sale so heading there now to buy it. Can't wait to get started :)

The price drop doesn't actually start until the 26th, so I'd hold off, man.

Yeah I saw that. I had a 30% off thing from my b-day and new leaf was on there but it's gone now so not sure whats up. Think I'll just wait till that sale starts then.

My 3DS is XL too and it's still fantastic to play, IDK whether or not it would be better or worse on a smaller screen but I love it.

I've been playing pretty much every day for months and months, it's a fantastic game. It has a lot better customization than previous games, and a lot of new villagers, both very adorable ones and very weird ones, not to mention two new personality types. (I'll admit I never played the Gamecube one but I have played Wild World so I still have some knowledge on the differences between older games and New Leaf)
Between better graphics, new villagers, an easier time customizing your town, interacting with people online, getting the villagers you want if you want to get into the villager trading community, keeping said villagers (there is a lot more of a warning for when villagers are moving than previous games), achievements, the QR code scanning system, etc, there is just a lot to do and a lot of fun customization and an active community and it's really great.
Sorry if I started rambling there, this game has just sort of become my life lol.

Last edited:
Like everyone else said, you have more control over what kind of town you want to develop it into. There's also new villager personalities to try out as well as new species. You also have a lot more storage; I believe it's 180 slots per character and max amount of characters you have are 4 (including the mayor). The NPCs play a slightly different role, the one most notable is Celeste who now runs the Museum Gift Shop upstairs and hosts 4 extra rooms to put more storage. You can also work at the cafe after you unlock it so that's a very cute side-game. Speaking of side games, the island has a LOT of minigames. With the amiibo update coming up in November, it may be worth buying the villager cards especially if you intend of buying Happy Home Designer or Amiibo Festival; both games are compatible with each other.

I do admit the music is pretty but it's not as catchy as Wild World's soundtrack (but that's just me). I absolutely love what New Leaf offers, though so I hope you enjoy all the new things when you get the game! :)

Hello all wasn't sure where to post this.
I played Animal Crossing years ago on gamecube and loved it. Was wondering if it's like it in terms of the gameplay?
Any ups and downs would be nice too.

Thank you :) P.S I own a 3DS XL not sure if that makes a difference in the gameplay

highly recommend it. definately definately. its ******* magical

also, hikigaya hachiman 10/10

Last edited:
So I can have more then one character? As in the main one is the mayor but I can also have others that just live there and enjoy random playing?

Yes you can make more players. A mayor and 3 other players can live in your town.
Most only have 2 extra players so they can plot reset villagers. ACNL doesn't have marked spot for villagers house.
The villager moves in random spots.

I've been playing for 3 years and haven't missed a day. The full price was worth every penny. Got my moneys worth in a few weeks.
Have fun.

Sweet. I just got paid so thinking about just picking it up since I have a few days off. Rather just pay the extra 10 dollars and enjoy the time I have to play and not wait till the 26th to save a few bucks.

Last edited:
Sweet. I just got paid so thinking about just picking it up since I have a few days off. Rather just pay the extra 10 dollars and enjoy the time I have to play and not wait till the 26th to save a few bucks.

I'm sure you'll love New Leaf if you like Animal Crossing. It's a fantastic game and so much fun. I didn't expect being the mayor would make such a difference, and all the new features are incredible additions. (Except the return of grass wearing off. Everyone hates that.)

Have fun playing! If you ever need any help, this forum is an amazing place with an amazing community :)

there is a lot of gameplay added in new leaf. depending on what you liked in the gc version it has improved differently but yeah . when ti comes to designing your town it definitely is better. and you can do more stuff, it's easier to get money and imo the villagers are a bit more fun.

but if u loved the things that were special for the gamecube idk

Back