• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Thing's Plushies

WOWOWOWOWOW!! I'm in love!! You're so talented, from the actual dying process to the sewing of their eyes/mouth and even clothes! Not sure if this was already mentioned but I'm just wondering how big these are???!

AND forgot to mention, they're scented!! ;A; owowowowoow, words cannot express just how in awe I am of you

These look like official merchandise if not even better! It's like some sort of deluxe plushie collection.

I'm in absolute awe at all the detail and work you put in to these. From the embroidery to the dye to the beads... just everything.

Have you made plushies before this? I would love to see your previous work too.

Also if you ever open a store/commissions for these feel free to DM me a link to your store! Once the covid-19 related postal chaos ends I would absolutely love to order a plushie from you.

These are so amazing, you are so talented. I want to get into doing stuff like this. Do you have any advice for me? Also are you willing to share your patterns so we can try to make something similar in the future?

Wow -- these are great! You could probably bring your talent to Etsy in some form. (Likely not in AC villagers, as it's probably not legal to sell them due to copyright, although I'm not sure. It seems like it also takes too long to craft per villager?) You obviously have a talent for this type of craft! I bet you could make generic plushies to sell online. People love homemade stuff :love:

ETA: I'm also a designer, but a web designer, not a physical product designer. It may not be relevant in your case, as I'm expecting Etsy is best for you, but I've had success with digital designs selling on a website called Zazzle. Just an FYI in case it helps, and if you're ever interested in dipping into this sort of thing.

For Etsy, I'd think about making plushies that you could perhaps sew a child's name onto, if that's possible? Or perhaps sew a name onto an item of clothing that you could put on the plushie? It'd be a wonderful personalized gift.

Thank you all so much!! I love making these little guys so much, so I'm glad you all enjoy seeing them :)

The plushie artist Cholyknight has a website that I think is a great resource for beginners! Website here. They have a lot of tutorials on here, as well as patterns (a number of them free) with plenty of detailed explanations to help you along. Additionally, the legendary Nazfx Studios ( Facebook here ) came out with a 27 page beginner's guide that is incredibly thorough and helpful, so I 100% recommend checking that out as well! Here is the link to it.

The little dudes are about 8.5 inches to the top of the head, and 10.5 inches including ears :) I know it's hard to judge the scale from my pictures, but the bench is actually just really tiny 😂 I currently don't have plans to release the patterns, unfortunately — I may in the future, but I need to figure out what my ultimate plan is for all this.

I do have the general goal of working as a plush designer for a company, and there are two big plush companies in my city. I actually have a friend who's a designer for Manhattan Toy (they make a lot of the plushies you can find in Target) so I've spent this summer developing a portfolio that shows plushie designing :D I was actually making my own characters, but then I promptly got distracted and made all these Animal Crossing ones, lol. But after this one I'm working on now, I'm going to return to making my own designs, and plushies that I can use in art installations within gallery settings. For this reason, I'm not particularly interested in selling or creating an online shop—yet! My current focus is how I can make these plush fold in to my larger artistic practice.

And thank you Sheep Villager, for asking to see my previous work! I'd love to show you guys :D

1.jpg

I started making these guys last fall. This was one of the first times I made my own pattern, and probably the moment I got serious about making stuffed animals.

2.jpg

Ultimately, this is the kind of stuff I want to do with my stuffed animals—have them work as pieces within installations. I'm primarily a painter. I've just gotten a bit sidetracked with the Animal Crossing plushies 😅

3.jpg

Made this dude in the first weeks of COVID-19 hitting America. His name is Bags.

20200607_038.jpg

The first little dudes I made using the pattern that I later used for all my Animal Crossing plush :)

I don't know how double posting works here. I suppose I will find out 😬

I finished my latest (and potentially last??) villager plush recently.

20200822_076.jpg

Genji was one of my two starting villagers in New Horizons, and I still have him to this day. Around the time that NH came out, I was doing a lot of research into Japanese culture, aesthetics and artwork as a means to understand my own culture more deeply (I'm Japanese American). So it was really perfect that Genji, named after the titular character of the Japanese national treasure, was one of my first villagers
🙂

20200822_063.jpg

He is about 10 inches tall. Like the others, he is sewn 100% by hand, no machine. His details are either hand embroidered or appliqué. Every part of him that isn't white I dyed by hand—the blue felt for his eyes, the pink for his cheeks, his shirt and his brown fur detailing were all dyed from white. In addition to this, his paws and shirt have been dip dyed for their color gradients. Like the others, he has a beanbag inside for floppiness and weight, with tangerine scented pellets mixed in. He took 46 hours to make.

20200822_051.jpg

I needed to make Genji a special one, because I planned for him to be the last Animal Crossing plush I make for a while. While I was taking these pictures, the droning hum of the cicada was ever present, calling with it the passing of the season. The timing of things just felt right, you know?
🙂

Of course, it's not a certainty that Genji will be the last....I'm considering him the end of this "phase", because the summer is nearing over and I'm about to get super busy. But I've been fighting the urge to make a certain rabbit's sister for over a month now. So I might work on one more here and there, when I can find the time :)

Last edited:
WOWSERS!!! These are absolutely amazing, am in awe of your skill!!!:love:

Tangy is my favourite but they all look so alive. Thanks for sharing!!!

Bags is the cutest and must be protected at all costs!!! :love:

Wow, these are incredible! I 100% endorse your goal of becoming a plushie designer because you'd be so good at it. :D Thanks for the resources, by the way, I really hope to get into making small plushies one day so that's good to have around.

And my first thought when I saw them was whether you had an etsy store and I saw you didn't. Your reasons make sense, and explain why these plushies look like a whole different league compared to most I've seen.

Back