• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Thing's Plushies

Lyn the Thing

Smallfry savant
Bells
Hello all! I've been spending my quarantine sitting in my kitchen and making Animal Crossing plushies, and I would like to show them to you all :)

Each villager is 100% sewn by hand—no machine. They're made using a pattern I designed myself. Their details are either hand embroidered or appliqué felt/minky, and all of their minky has been dyed by hand from white (except for Francine's blue). This includes the triangular gradients in their ears....Additionally, each one has beanbags inside their bodies for floppiness and weight, and they each have scented beads mixed in to the beanbag as well :)

The first one I made was Francine. I originally spent 49 hours on her and her 17 stupid polka dots.

Francine1.jpg

She was one of my favorite villagers in my New Leaf town :) I actually ordered her amiibo while I was making this plush, so I could have her in New Horizons as well. She came out quite a bit chunkier than the others because of the blue minky I used here—it has a longer pile and much more stretch, so it gives her extra squish. The outcome is really cute! But it was a beast to work with. Francine is sage scented.

202020627_038.jpg

After Francine I made Rosie. She's my fiance's favorite villager. Back in March, he asked me if I could make a Rosie plush. I didn't think I could at the time, because I had never made a bipedal plush pattern like this before. But three months later, I was finally able to make her :) Rosie took only 36 hours to make, and she is lavender scented.

202020627_052.jpg

202020627_061.jpg

202020627_065.jpg

You can tell that my fiance helped me with this photoshoot. We got a little ignorant.

20200713_025.jpg

Tangy was an absolute delight to make!! She was my favorite villager in New Leaf, and she enjoyed a brief stay in my NH island. Unfortunately, at the time we had a strict one-villager-per-personality policy on our island, and Tangy was a duplicate. Getting rid of Rosie was completely off the table, so Tangy entered the void :'( So, in mourning, I made her as a plush! All her little orange dots are hand embroidered, and she does have a second leaf on the back of her head as well. I even gave her an orange freckle belly button, because apparently Tangy's in-game model has one there, haha. Tangy took me 52 hours to make, and she is tangerine scented.

Check the spoiler to see really cute pictures of Tangy and Rosie together :)
20200713_030.jpg

20200713_040.jpg

I absolutely love Tangy and Rosie together. They photograph really well as a duo.

20200804_016 (1).jpg

Most recently, I made Kitty! Kitty is my favorite villager in New Horizons. She's totally underrated in my eyes. I wanted to capture her sassy, church lady vibes, so I used her portrait photo as reference. Initially I wasn't planning on making a plush of her, because she's not really..."plushable", in the traditional sense. But I realized that's BS, because she's my favorite villager. Kitty took me 57 hours to make. Her dress is a wool suiting material, and she is lavender scented.

20200804_030.jpg

So here are the four AC plushies I made so far, in the order that I made them :)

I noticed that whenever I tried to take a group photo, Francine would kind of stick out from the rest. Because she was the first one I made, her face is kind of awkward—at that point, I hadn't quite worked out the kinks of transferring the face design into plush form. I knew I wanted to make a better Francine, but I definitely didn't want to repeat the polka dot ordeal. So two days ago, instead of making a whole new plush, I simply redid her face and sewed the new one directly on over the old one.

20200808_006.jpg

Redoing her face took me 11 hours, which brings Francine's total up to 59 hours. Her old face is still there, underneath the new one....which is a bit of a weird thought.

I think Francine is my favorite that I've made, because she's so soft, floppy, and pudgy. And now she's got a a glow up, lol. I am considering making her sister...but I don't think I'm ready to repeat that polka dot experience yet. Right now, I am making a rabbit villager—just not Chrissy. Yet. ;)

Edit: I just now read the pinned post about threads in this section. So I will say—I am okay with critique! I actually have a bachelor's degree in Fine Arts, and am a current graduate student in Visual Studies. That's all in painting though, not plush making lol. But, yeah...I can handle critique, and in fact I do welcome it :)

Last edited:
I thought the first rendition of Francine was really cute, but then you showed her glow up and I have to say, I'm surprised how small changes can completely change her whole appearance! These are amazing 💕 Huge props for the hand-sewing!

omfg 100% by hands and no machine!?!? the way my eyes bugged out reading this because the plushies look so professionally made.
i love the minky fabric you used to make your plushie. even through photos, i can tell they must be soooo amazingly soft to the touch. mad respect to you and im sending much love to your hands...lol.

did you make them just for fun or do you have a shop where you plan to sell these?

Thank you guys!! I do just make them for fun, and don't currently sell or have a store. They take sooo long to make—a horrifying average of 51 hours. There's no way I can charge a fair price for that amount of work :(

I absolutely love sewing by hand though, even if it takes so long to do :) It's my goal to achieve the type of quality other plush artists get, even though I don't do machine sewing or don't have an embroidery machine.

wth these are so cute! i dont think theres anything to even critique. are u doing this as a hobby or as a business? i'd love to commission/buy a villager plush from you sometime

oh also, i prefer the first francine cos of her sad lil eyes! <3

Oh my gosh, I love these so much~ There's such a lack of AC plushies, esp villagers, so fans have to get creative to fill in the gaps but that just makes them even more unique and adorable. I understand you not wanting to commission because they take so long to make but if you ever did I'd be tempted by a plush of Static :giggle:

I started with the next villager! I hand dye all my non-white colors, and usually it's a pretty simple process. But things get tricky when gradients are involved. This one was especially tricky, because I had to dip-dye these gradients after I had sewn the body—meaning, if I mess up with the dye, I would have to redo the whole body. Thankfully that wasn't necessary, as it all worked out!

Genji1.png

Here it is fresh out of the dyebath. Dyeing fabric is such an ordeal 😬

I started with the next villager! I hand dye all my non-white colors, and usually it's a pretty simple process. But things get tricky when gradients are involved. This one was especially tricky, because I had to dip-dye these gradients after I had sewn the body—meaning, if I mess up with the dye, I would have to redo the whole body. Thankfully that wasn't necessary, as it all worked out!

View attachment 301308

Here it is fresh out of the dyebath. Dyeing fabric is such an ordeal 😬
It looks great! Does this mean you dyed all of the other plushies too?

Back