(Technical help) Data on another console

Bells
Hi,
I have a regular 3DS which has New Leaf (with a cartridge) and the welcome amiibo update since a long time. I recently bought the Sanrio amiibo to use in New Horizons, and I thought “hey why not use them on New Leaf as well”, but I realized that the regular 3DS doesn’t have a NFC reader and I don’t want to buy one just for that considering I don’t even really play NL anymore.
One of my friends has a new 3DS, which I believe has the built in NFC reader, so we agreed I’d use my game on theirs and scan them this way. The thing is, when I tried, my data didn’t show up, I got scared for a second and then thought of how it might be related to the update (from what I remember it said like « want to start a new town? » and another dialogue about the amiibo update that was available. My friend has never had or played NL, so they obviously never did the update. I removed my cartridge and said we’ll see later because I don’t want to accidentally corrupt my data.

Was this the issue? Do I just need to pop back in my cartridge in their 3DS, launch the game, do the update as the game requests (I’m assuming the update sits on the console itself), and it’ll be good to do?
I’m really afraid of losing my data and don’t know how the whole 3DS system works so I thought I’d ask, for a complete step by step explanation of what happens/why it won’t happen (ex: why there’s no risk of data corruption/erasing or something) so I can understand a bit more and hopefully scan my cards without fear.
Also, does the SD card play any role in that or is it basically just here for screenshots?

Thanks!

Sava data is tied to the cartridge. Its possible your friend did not have all of the update data, well, up to date so it couldn't read your current save data.

The only time save data is tied to an SD card is if the game is digital.

Sava data is tied to the cartridge. Its possible your friend did not have all of the update data, well, up to date so it couldn't read your current save data.

The only time save data is tied to an SD card is if the game is digital. "
(the quotes don't seem to be working, it's weird, I can't seem to be able to link it to you, so I hope you (or someone able to reply x)) will still see it

I couldn't remember exactly if there were digital versions of games on 3DS (I barely ever used mine, almost exclusively for NL, so I don't know much), so the SD card indeed doesn't have any link. But do you know/think if I update my friend's DS with (launching the game) with my cartridge it'll just update, load the game again and then my own town will show up with no complications or anything? Not sure if it makes sense and I feel kinda annoying for repeating it but I really wanna make sure, as I don't wanna risk losing it all. But thanks!

Back