So why does the Sea Bass suck this bad?

Baroque

Bells
We all hate the sea bass, right? It doesn't sell for very much at all, it spawns a ton and it has the same shadow size as other much rarer and much more valuable fish, so it tricks us into catching it.

But why is it so prevalant and why is it worth so little? Is there some explanation based on real life? Is it an invasive species that tastes bad but still procreates too much and fishermen hate them? Is it like the Slog Fish in The Simpsons and its only use is to make striper pole-polishing oil?

c04aoei77qo41.jpg

As far as I can tell... no, there's no reason, except for the fact they were designated as the common trash fish all the way back in GCN, saddled with a price of a paltry 120 Bells, and let loose to plague the world for two decades. In real life sea bass isn't cheap and it's a commonly eaten meat fish.

There is actually a very very slight difference between a sea bass at size 5 and most valuable ocean fish at size 6, so a vigilant player can ignore sea bass and its slightly-less-detestable cousin, the olive flounder, almost entirely aside from when trying to get the giant trevally or mahi-mahi... but damned if we aren't good at second-guessing ourselves into thinking that size 5 shadow just might actually be a size 6.

It's something that's stuck since the beginning, as in the very first game there were very little ocean fish available (like 5 lmao) and the bass was the most common by a large margin. Honestly in NH I don't find the sea bass nearly as annoying as in past games because the difference between shadow size 5 and 6 is quite noticeable. Black bass on the other hand...

As far as I can tell... no, there's no reason, except for the fact they were designated as the common trash fish all the way back in GCN, saddled with a price of a paltry 120 Bells, and let loose to plague the world for two decades. In real life sea bass isn't cheap and it's a commonly eaten meat fish.

There is actually a very very slight difference between a sea bass at size 5 and most valuable ocean fish at size 6, so a vigilant player can ignore sea bass and its slightly-less-detestable cousin, the olive flounder, almost entirely aside from when trying to get the giant trevally or mahi-mahi... but damned if we aren't good at second-guessing ourselves into thinking that size 5 shadow just might actually be a size 6.

ngl, i agree. after fishing for so long, i could mostly tell the difference if it's going to be a rare fish. the sea bass is the same size of olive flounder and i got used to it now, so i can get away with ignoring it without feeling like i could miss out.
at least the mahi-mahi only appears on a certain area. and i'm so glad it's shark season now.

regarding OP post though, i was curious as well. it became an inside joke at this point lol.
Post automatically merged:

It's something that's stuck since the beginning, as in the very first game there were very little ocean fish available (like 5 lmao) and the bass was the most common by a large margin. Honestly in NH I don't find the sea bass nearly as annoying as in past games because the difference between shadow size 5 and 6 is quite noticeable. Black bass on the other hand...

SO TRUE 😭

Back