• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

So what could be the in-game reason for villagers not remembering you after they move? Or multiples of the same villager existing?

BoonyBoo

Spooky Bunny
Bells
Switch
6312-9682-4421
So something I noticed myself and lots of other Animal Crossing players experiencing are the villagers not remembering the player after they move, whether you see them again on a spare island or when you talk to them on the Happy Home Paradise island. Isn't it rather strange of a villager becoming so close that they give you their photo, just to not even know your name as soon as they move? That's not all, it seems that you and a friend can have the same villager living on each of your islands at the same time... I get that this is due to the game's mechanic, but how would these features be explained by the in-universe lore? Clones? Mass amnesia? Explanations must come forward!

At least with the robot villagers, they make sense? Like, they could be reset to Factory Settings?

Not sure about the forgetting part but mitosis? Or
D2A2AA5A-6076-43DC-BA02-C0698CAF0C89.jpeg

😂

They are simply not the same villager. When your villager moves if they arent adopted by someone they go into your islands void. So if you see that villager on hhp or a dodo island its a different version of that villager. The only exceptions are when you invite a current villager to hhp in which case its still your villager and would know you. The other if someone gets a villager from your void(either by visiting you or being visited by you). They will tell the new person which island they came from and will remember you if you go their new island and talk to them.

They are simply not the same villager. When your villager moves if they arent adopted by someone they go into your islands void. So if you see that villager on hhp or a dodo island its a different version of that villager. The only exceptions are when you invite a current villager to hhp in which case its still your villager and would know you. The other if someone gets a villager from your void(either by visiting you or being visited by you). They will tell the new person which island they came from and will remember you if you go their new island and talk to them.
I think op was just asking about potential fun "lore" related explanations for this mechanic ^^ like multiple timelines/amnesia/etc.

Yeah it kind of makes me sad when I see them again on a mystery island or when visiting a friends island.

It has happened twice I remember one of them was stiches and I saw him on a mystery island and said hello thinking he would remember me and tell me what he has been up too since I had seen him last but nope :(

He just introduced himself like I was a new person :( It would of been cool if they remembered you and ask how you how you have been and tell you what they have been up to since they left your island. Even if they call you by the nickname they gave you while they lived on your island :)

Weee bit dark but…. I saw a theory ages again that was more aimed at WW but I guess could still work here.

Animal Crossing is like a child version of heaven. A child dies and ends up in on whimsical, tropical island with anthropomorphic animals to befriend. This is why the player character is the only human. It’s also why there are so many fish and bugs that are easy to catch despite them living in different parts of the world in real life. It’s explains why a tropical island still has normal sessions and a mix of real life holidays tweaked to fit the AC world. It’s all made to keep the child’s soul content after death. The villagers are there to serve the child souls need. Ie, lazy villagers provide childish fun whilst uchi villagers provide the motherly care.

The biggest hint is obviously the Gyroids. They’re based off Japanese Haniwa, clay figurines that were buried with the dead.

The theory suggests that each island is the same and individual for each child’s soul. Hence why there are duplicates of Tom Nook, Blathers, villagers etc. but the characters never acknowledge this so as to keep up the illusion to the child that their world is the sole one.

So when a player meets a villager they’ve previously moved out again, maybe the villager doesn’t recognise them because it’s one of the duplicate villagers not the one the player originally became friends with.

Back