Simple Action Replay cheat to find the whale shadow anywhere! (US ver.)

HoleInOneLuigi

Bingo! Ho hohoho!
Bells
Remember the mysterious whale shadow that you can sometimes find on the boat ride with Kapp'n? Well with this cheat code, you can replace any fish with the whale -- no need to spend days searching! 014d43af 00000028 (Only tested on Dolphin)

For some reason I was still skeptical on if the whale was real or not even after seeing all the videos of it. So I decided to find it myself the easy way. Here's some screenshots/what I found out about the whale:

Whale in ocean.jpg
Whale in river 3.jpg
Whale in river.jpg

Whale in ocean.jpg
Whale dialog.jpg
Whale in inventory.jpg

Here's some fish IDs:
0x1f - coelacanth
0x24 - sea bass
0x25 - red snapper
0x26 - barred knifejaw

0x28 - WHALE

I recommend refreshing all the fish in the ocean by going in the Able Sisters, coming out,
then moving one acre to find a fish. This is just to make sure the fish is in slot 0
when doing a cheat search.

Also no need to guess which fish it is, doing a cheat search while a fish is in your player's hands will work!

What happens when catching the whale:
1. It's basically just an arapaima (looks like one, same item-ID as the arapaima)
2. Your player character will say a quote from the Able Sisters instead of a pun, because it wasn't programmed.
3. Pretty sure it softlocks when your pockets are full.

Other things about the whale:
It acts differently depending on which type of water its in.

If its in the ocean: It doesn't move; doesn't get scared away when running.

If its in the river: It moves/turns; DOES get scared away when running.

If its in the big pond: It moves/turns; DOES get scared away when running.

Pretty scary stuff!

Anyway, enjoy!

UPDATE: It CAN be caught in the river/pond! You just need to toss the bobber near the center of the whale. And like I thought, it's an arapaima.

Last edited:
really cool. i never have seen the whale shadow in the game. i had no idea it existed

Back