• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

question about plotting / inviting

Underneath The Stars

거기 너 i fancy you
Bells
Tasty Cake
i heard that if you plot a house reservation idk what you call it yet--the 10k one from tom nook, even if you don't invite a villager some random one might move in (is this true?)

anyway because of that i don't feel like setting up the plot yet, so my main question is: will a villager show up in campsite or random island if you don't?

I have had villagers show up at the campsite without setting down my plot, but it seems super infrequent.

Campers can show up at your campsite even without plots, I believe.
The best thing to do is to put down a plot and go on Island tours and maybe... just maybe, you could recruit someone you like.
Note that after the initial 3 island recruits, only 1 villager will spawn on the island after you invite him/her.
So even if you set down several plots, you can only get one island villager invited per day.
Hope that makes sense.

Campers can show up at your campsite even without plots, I believe.
The best thing to do is to put down a plot and go on Island tours and maybe... just maybe, you could recruit someone you like.
Note that after the initial 3 island recruits, only 1 villager will spawn on the island after you invite him/her.
So even if you set down several plots, you can only get one island villager invited per day.
Hope that makes sense.

it does, thanks!

i heard that if you plot a house reservation idk what you call it yet--the 10k one from tom nook, even if you don't invite a villager some random one might move in (is this true?)

anyway because of that i don't feel like setting up the plot yet, so my main question is: will a villager show up in campsite or random island if you don't?

yep! if you don't invite anyone and set a plot, a random will move in.
when i plotted that first 3 houses, i only invited one villager from an nook island, and got 2 random move-ins the next day.
yesterday i set another plot, and didn't invite anyone. got a random today xD

i think i should have learned the first time but oh well..

yep! if you don't invite anyone and set a plot, a random will move in.
when i plotted that first 3 houses, i only invited one villager from an nook island, and got 2 random move-ins the next day.
yesterday i set another plot, and didn't invite anyone. got a random today xD

i think i should have learned the first time but oh well..

oof that's why i thought of posting here now, or at least searched for a guide.
early on i made that mistake too, thinking you'll just get 1 villager personality type a day from the island visit (when you were meant to invite 3 villagers if you want to choose quick for the 3 plots tom would give)

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but for me, the most rigid steps to avoid have some weird, random move-ins after we have upgraded to the service centre and built the campsite would be:

Do not "accept" the villagers coming to your campsite, until someone visits you like. Admittedly, this would slow down progress of the main story line (weird to write about something like this in case of an Animal Crossing game, but I guess, it is clear what I mean); there won't show up any villagers on island tours, so this can take long.

After this, do not lay down the plots Tom Nooks offers to you.
Laying down plots bears the risk of random move-ins.
Visit the campground and take island tours.
When an animal suits you, invite it.
Only after this, lay down one plot, wait one day for the villager to arrive.

Repeat 2., until you have ten villagers.

Here, the problem is, that there are many different verdicts on the web, saying "you need free plots for villagers to spawn" (be it the campsite and/or the island) respectively saying "you do not need free plots for villagers to spawn".
To me, personally, villagers to also spawn without free spots would be the most sensible option, at least, as far as the campsite is concerned (else, it would be rendered "dead" as long as you maxed out villagers; from New Leaf, we know, that villagers will indeed spawn; you simply do not have the invitation-option; I imagine it to be the same in New Horizons and could even imagine it to be analogously for villagers on mystery islands, but what I imagine is pointless, we need facts).

---

I personally do not care much for the "main story" line to take longer if in exchange I can make sure that no villagers I dislike move in.
Further, admittedly, also afterwards you could let villagers move out and then go "hunting" for a new villager. Though an empty spot, as mentioned, comes with the risk of a random move-in - this is something I believe in after reading it on the web.
Hence, to be patient in the beginning, at least to my understanding, seems to pay-off.

---

Can someone disconfirm this method?
Either way, would be great to get more information on this issue.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but for me, the most rigid steps to avoid have some weird, random move-ins after we have upgraded to the service centre and built the campsite would be:

Do not "accept" the villagers coming to your campsite, until someone visits you like. Admittedly, this would slow down progress of the main story line (weird to write about something like this in case of an Animal Crossing game, but I guess, it is clear what I mean); there won't show up any villagers on island tours, so this can take long.

After this, do not lay down the plots Tom Nooks offers to you.
Laying down plots bears the risk of random move-ins.
Visit the campground and take island tours.
When an animal suits you, invite it.
Only after this, lay down one plot, wait one day for the villager to arrive.

Repeat 2., until you have ten villagers.

Here, the problem is, that there are many different verdicts on the web, saying "you need free plots for villagers to spawn" (be it the campsite and/or the island) respectively saying "you do not need free plots for villagers to spawn".
To me, personally, villagers to also spawn without free spots would be the most sensible option, at least, as far as the campsite is concerned (else, it would be rendered "dead" as long as you maxed out villagers; from New Leaf, we know, that villagers will indeed spawn; you simply do not have the invitation-option; I imagine it to be the same in New Horizons and could even imagine it to be analogously for villagers on mystery islands, but what I imagine is pointless, we need facts).

---

I personally do not care much for the "main story" line to take longer if in exchange I can make sure that no villagers I dislike move in.
Further, admittedly, also afterwards you could let villagers move out and then go "hunting" for a new villager. Though an empty spot, as mentioned, comes with the risk of a random move-in - this is something I believe in after reading it on the web.
Hence, to be patient in the beginning, at least to my understanding, seems to pay-off.

---

Can someone disconfirm this method?
Either way, would be great to get more information on this issue.

oh so there WILL be animals on island visits even when you don't plot a land? (obv, you'll have to plot afterwards)

i just thought there's no chances of seeing a villager when you go to the island if there's no plot. if that's so, then i'd rather take the chance and see if i'll meet someone rather than plot a land and NOT see someone i like and get stuck with a random move in.

like you, i also don't care for the story progression. i'm already late acquiring the buildings anyway even though i got the game earlier than release, so it can wait. unfortunately i have other things to do irl so even if i were to tt i wouldn't have time to sit down on it for hours.

let me try to help lay out how it all works a little easier for you:

1) your first camper is a mandatory move in. it will be a smug villager. pray its someone you like.
2) the first three villagers you get you can choose BEFORE putting down their plots. i learned this the hard way, only selecting felicity and then getting two randos on my other plots. after you finish the plot building mission, the plots are sold like Instantly, so youre gonna want to pick these 3 villagers first.
3) after finishing this initial 3 villager mission, you cannot accept villagers without an existing plot. i personally experienced this with campers having me kick people out or go build a plot before accepting, and you do not get villagers on islands without plots after the first three you encounter.
4) after you build a plot, it permanently exists in your town, and it will only remain "for sale" for one day, ive never experienced it taking longer. when someone moves out, the plot will be empty but roped off as "for sale" for a day (a day for you to fill it in) and the next day if you didnt fill it someone random will buy it (i lucked out and got stitches upon learning this firsthand)
and finally as a tip campers are very rare so id recommend island grinding, amiibo cards, or getting villagers at peoples towns to fill in plots.

hopefully this info helps answer this and future questions about this stuff!

oh so there WILL be animals on island visits even when you don't plot a land? (obv, you'll have to plot afterwards)

i just thought there's no chances of seeing a villager when you go to the island if there's no plot. if that's so, then i'd rather take the chance and see if i'll meet someone rather than plot a land and NOT see someone i like and get stuck with a random move in.

[...]

Sadly, I understand what debinoresu is now writing - thank you! -, then, no.

But, what she writes (could you please negate/confirm?) to me suggests that we can still do the following (though, as campers seem to spawn very rarely, this could take a lot of time, though, to reiterate, I do not care):
- Do not have building plots in place.
- Wait, until a villager visits the campsite you like.
- According to debinoresu, we cannot invite her due to missing plots (quote: " personally experiences this with campers having me kick people out or go build a plot").
- Go to Nook and lay down one plot.
- Invite the villager.

Would this work?

Personally, I would have expected that villagers would still spawn on island tours, like they did in the very beginning before you could even lay down housing plots. But, if I understood debinoresu correctly, this is not the case.
Hence, the only chance were campers.
That the first camper is a mandatory move is, to me, is a bummer. But this is a different topic I cannot change.

Okay so i have 2 empty plots build today(after the 3 initials) and one is sold for a mystery islander. Will a random move in the 2nd one if i dont find another villager myself?

I plotted a 7th plot I wanted to use for an Amiibo, and a random villager (who I've had no previous contact with) had bought the plot and moved in in just a day.

Back