• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Question About Loading Times...

Serabee

Autistic Time-Traveler
Bells
Island
Woodland
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
Special Snowflake
Kapp'n Christmas Doll
Green Christmas Stocking
Matryoshka Doll
Tricolored Puppy Plush
Holiday Candy Cane 2020
Festive Bell
Tin Robot
So, lately I've been terraforming my island more, and just doing more work on it in general (moving houses around, setting up outdor furniture, etc.) and I've noticed it takes a lot longer to start the game at the start of a day, to load my mailbox (it gives me a "hold on a sec" message, or something similar), and to save the game when I'm done playing. Anyone know what's up with that? I mean, it's not a significant amount of time, but the fact that it's a lot more time than it used to be has me paranoid one day it's just gonna keep loading indefinitely :p
(I am, admittedly, rather paranoid 😅)

At the start of the day it is just loading what events you have for the day, and Isabelle's "announcement." It is also spawning your daily fossils, weed(s), glowing spot, and then deciding which rocks are the ore rocks and which rock is the money rock. So it makes sense to me that it takes longer to load at the start of the day.

hmm tbh i havent done much terraforming and there are barely any furniture outside but i get the "hold on a sec" message while loading my mailbox usually when i have full orders from nook miles and nook's cranny. so i think it happens usually when you get a lot of mail?

For the mailbox, how many messages do you have? I get that message when I have a lot unread or a lot of messages saved. I completely cleared out mine a couple of days ago, and I haven’t been getting the hold on a sec message.

Last edited:
At the start of the day it is just loading what events you have for the day, and Isabelle's "announcement." It is also spawning your daily fossils, weed(s), glowing spot, and then deciding which rocks are the ore rocks and which rock is the money rock. So it makes sense to me that it takes longer to load at the start of the day.

Oh, that's nice to know! Hmm, I wonder why it seems to be taking longer recently? Maybe I'm just noticing it more because I'm paranoid 😆 Still wondering why it takes longer to save, though. Again, it's not a big deal, just odd :unsure:

hmm tbh i havent done much terraforming and there are barely any furniture outside but i get the "hold on a sec" message while loading my mailbox usually when i have full orders from nook miles and nook's cranny. so i think it happens usually when you get a lot of mail?
For the mailbox, how many messages do you have? I get that message when I have a lot unread or a lot of messages saved. I completely cleared out mine a couple of day’s ago, and I haven’t been getting the hold on a sec message.

Ugh, yah, I do have a lot of messages... and, now that you mention it, it tends to happen when I've gotten multiple orders in the mail!
Frankly, I deleted a bunch of messages (~100) but it took forever... is there a bulk delete option I'm missing?
Post automatically merged:

Oh, WOW. I Googled this and there was advice to turn on airplane mode... REALLY cut down on save time, and it seems to have helped load time, too!

Though, I still got the "hold on a sec" for a second or two, despite only having three letters in my mailbox :unsure: Weird!

But, anyway, glad to know I have an option if it gets too bad :)

Last edited:
Quick question, are you running digital or physical? If it's digital, then is it sorted in the system's internal storage or an micro SD card? If it's the later, then there will be slower speed times eventually when the card begins to run out of space. If you have the game installed internally, that would be the only option with the fastest load and saving time. For physical editions, it's a mixed bag, bit from experience and what I have heard is that it's much slower compared to the SD card. Overall the SD card is only slower by a couple sec and the physical is slower than the SD card by a couple of sec.

Anyways, if you have a physical copy of the game, I would definitely try to empty the mail box, other than that I'm not too sure what could be slowing your game down.

i have a physical copy of new horizons, i didn't do that much terraforming but it will take a while to load. when i went back onto new leaf to compare the two, i was pretty shocked at how fast the loading time was for new leaf :ROFLMAO:

I have the digital copy (couldn't resist getting it the night before at 11 PM :p) and it's saved... umm... wherever it normally saves? I have no idea, I have an SD card, the actual game is saved to said SD card, so it probably goes there?

Anyway, after turning off my wi-fi for a day the slowness is basically gone. Even my mailbox isn't giving that message as much, though that could be because I emptied it (though it wasn't immediate after emptying it) Even when I put the wi-fi back on now it's working well. I also don't leave my game running when I'm not playing it as much. So... I have no idea if any of that helped, or if it's a coincidence, or what... but it's much better now!

My game can take a while sometimes but i am not sure what caused that. As for the loading time of the mail box, i think the number of letters could play a part in that. I started getting longer loading times when i had many old letters but not sure if that is by coincidence.

I get the mailbox loading time too but I also have a lot of mail... It’s so much hassle to sort through especially the ones with gifts cuz you need to click on the letter, retrieve the gift, exit out of the letter... I’m not aware of a bulk delete option but it would be welcome!!

Back