Question about beetle hunting on the island

VioletsTown

Bells
So, i know about cutting down the middle trees and even reducing the nimber of palm trees to increase the likelihood of valuable beetles spawning. But i still have flowers... Will getting rid of all flowers reduce the butterflies from spawning? Anything else i need to get rid of?

yup! i reccommend having about three palm trees (one to the left, one to the right and one right at the bottom) and digging up all your flower/bushes as well. i don't think there's a way to get rid of the wharf roaches or hermit crabs, though.

Let those be. They re no treat to your beetle hunting. Just get rid of the bushes and tree in the middle will do =)

- Get rid of all the normal trees in the middle; they attract stags which aren't worth much (unless it's the giant stag but there is a low spawn rate of it)
- Dig/remove the flowers and bushes; they attract butterflies and moths (and locusts, I think?)

Yeah, when you do that, then the only bugs that can spawn are the tiger beetle, wharf roach, hermit crabs and the island bugs.
The other three bugs, you can't get rid of as they spawn in the sandy areas, sadly :C
Just scare them away

I have reduced my hermit crabs (and working on eliminating) by gathering all the seashells that spawn every day and lining the edge of the beach with them :) If nothing else, I KNOW what is a hermit crab at a quick glance (because I've already picked up the shells over there!) and know to scare him off. I was under the impression ALL bugs on the island reduce your appearance of good bugs. They certainly do for me. I know if I'm not getting anything to spawn there's a sneaky wharf roach hiding by the island shop :) Works every time I chase him away!

Actually, some of the normal trees do attract some valuable beetles - the giant stag, the rainbow and the jewel, I believe - so I wouldn't chop them down considering that it's impossible to re-plant them as far as I know.

You can keep the bushes without them attracting butterflies.
And I think if you place shells/bells around the spawn spots of tiger beetles and wharf roaches I think that can stop them ~ not tried myself though.
Also I find it easier to cut all the trees along the bottom of the island because sometimes walking towards them you scare bugs you can't even see (that aren't even the rare 2!) While the sides and top you can approach from the bottom and it's easier to spot bugs.

You can replant the trees in the middle with fruit from the tours :) I personally have 3 palm trees, one on each side and one at the bottom, and two regular trees in the middle, one on each side. I left the bushes, but I did get rid of all the flowers. I think the locusts are going to come no matter what because of the grass. So no way you can eliminate them, you just have to wait until...7, I think? Or is it 6 when they disappear?

I go to the island after 7pm. I only have 3 palm trees (1 left side, 2 right side) and only one flower.
First thing coming out of hut, I pick the flower (unless I'm needing to catch a butterfly for a villager back in town). I then get the net & fishing pole. I walk around the island counter-clockwise picking up all the seashells (which I sell to the little girl inside). I do keep one seashell on the beach at the spot just as I can see the very top of the first palm tree. That is where I start sneaking up on the first palm tree. I walk along the front of the island on the beach until I can see the next 2 palm trees, then sneak up if need be. Before I head back to town, I make sure to replant the flower.
Good Luck.

The only thing you should have is palm trees in the lower layer, flowers will spawn less valuable bugs. So yes, remove them.

Thanks everyone! I was bug hunting and all these butterflies are around. So annoying when your goal is bell making. I didn't make the connection between the butterflies and flowers until now, stupid me.

Back