Petition for AC:NH game save backup

maybe there can be limitations on the amount of times players are allowed to restore their old saves

Last edited:
At least let us save to the sd card if cloud saves are out of the question.

That doesn't stop people from restoring old saves and duplicating items. Cloud saves are out of the question because of that reason, not that they aren't feasible.

Last edited:
That doesn't stop people from restoring old saves and duplicating items. Cloud saves are out of the question because of that reason, not that they aren't feasible.

You're right! I'm sure they can find a way to avoid tons of cheating more easily with cloud saves than with saves on the cartridge (like limiting the access) ��

Cloud saves would be perfect though, it's a great way to switch from the Switch to the Switch Lite. There has to be a way that they can deter cheaters and still allow us to backup...

I'm pretty "meh" about it all. Yeah, I'll be crushed if I lose my save data, but I'm just hoping that if it does happen, it happens when I get bored with the game and need a long break from it.

I have one of the first wave Switches that are easier to hack than current wave switches, but I'm still not gonna hack my switch lol. Given how nintendo has went so far as to ban players who unknowingly play a pirated game or played a game with someone who has a hacked switch, I'm not gonna risk playing on a hacked switch just to have cloud saves.

I remember how item dupping "ruined" the acnl economy for a while until they patched out the glitch where you could go into the void and dup items using saves while in multiplayer.

Some players have hacked the leaderboards in splatoon 2 (the greatest one I think was calling out nintendo for allowing it to be so easily done.) and don't even remind me of the luigi balloon customized profile pictures. I can see why nintendo is going as far as they can to avoid any way to hack or cheat acnh.

I'm pretty "meh" about it all. Yeah, I'll be crushed if I lose my save data, but I'm just hoping that if it does happen, it happens when I get bored with the game and need a long break from it.

I have one of the first wave Switches that are easier to hack than current wave switches, but I'm still not gonna hack my switch lol. Given how nintendo has went so far as to ban players who unknowingly play a pirated game or played a game with someone who has a hacked switch, I'm not gonna risk playing on a hacked switch just to have cloud saves.

I remember how item dupping "ruined" the acnl economy for a while until they patched out the glitch where you could go into the void and dup items using saves while in multiplayer.

Some players have hacked the leaderboards in splatoon 2 (the greatest one I think was calling out nintendo for allowing it to be so easily done.) and don't even remind me of the luigi balloon customized profile pictures. I can see why nintendo is going as far as they can to avoid any way to hack or cheat acnh.

It's ok for them to go as far as they want, but they should try not to do so at the expense of the players. I just hope that they can find a way to make sure no one can cheat plus give us a way to backup most or some of our data :(

I didn't know Nintendo banned people for playing a game with someone with a hacked Switch, that's crazy! I mean, how the heck can we tell if someone's Switch is hacked or not? :O

There's a lot about the online service that needs stepping up, I really hope they will reconsider this :(

I signed the petition. I hope things get better with nintendo. They have been making pretty big mistakes lately. They dont seem to know what makes their consumer base happy. While it's true that they have made a great game for us to play and I'm really looking forward to it, they know what they were doing when they took away cloud saves. They aren't dumb. They scrutinize every decision they make before they make it. Even if they know it will go over poorly with their audience. Shoot, even when they put off the release date for ACNL their stock dropped massively. Get it together Nintendo.

I signed the petition. I hope things get better with nintendo. They have been making pretty big mistakes lately. They dont seem to know what makes their consumer base happy. While it's true that they have made a great game for us to play and I'm really looking forward to it, they know what they were doing when they took away cloud saves. They aren't dumb. They scrutinize every decision they make before they make it. Even if they know it will go over poorly with their audience. Shoot, even when they put off the release date for ACNL their stock dropped massively. Get it together Nintendo.

Yeah :/ it's crazy because of the type of game AC is: you play it for a long time, real-time hours are put into it. It's not a game you can fast track, you have to do the work, so it's crazy that there's no way to backup that work :(

Yeah :/ it's crazy because of the type of game AC is: you play it for a long time, real-time hours are put into it. It's not a game you can fast track, you have to do the work, so it's crazy that there's no way to backup that work :(

That's why it's so important that cloud saves are implemented. Splatoon 2 is a whole 'nother game. Progress is made much faster there. Cloud saves aren't as important. ACNL is a different kind of thing. I understand them wanting to stop cheaters, but at the expense of the rest of their playerbase it's not okay. Just lock the time you put into the town in the beginning of the game so you cant TT. Walla! Have the game automatically correct for the daylight savings and boom, how are they going to cheat? Time travel was the problem with previous titles, not saves.

That's why it's so important that cloud saves are implemented. Splatoon 2 is a whole 'nother game. Progress is made much faster there. Cloud saves aren't as important. ACNL is a different kind of thing. I understand them wanting to stop cheaters, but at the expense of the rest of their playerbase it's not okay. Just lock the time you put into the town in the beginning of the game so you cant TT. Walla! Have the game automatically correct for the daylight savings and boom, how are they going to cheat? Time travel was the problem with previous titles, not saves.

You're right, it seems that there are quite a bit of solutions (some easier and some a bit harder) but we think they're definitely worth the extra effort from the devs' part. At some point I really do hope they give us a way to backup :( I personally couldn't care less what anyone does in their town or not :D

Update to the petition: the popular youtube channel Commonwealth Realm just posted a video about the lack of cloud saves and about the video, I really recommend you checking it out, it's really good! <3

Now this is something I will definitely support, I will sign it. Good luck with your petition!

Was thinking about this the other day, and it may be worthwhile to pen an open letter to Nintendo about this (in as positive a tone as possible), and try to get prominent Nintendo YouTubers or personalities to sign on.

The problems are: what would it specifically say, and who could be asked about signing it?

If this is not a good idea please let me know. I can try my hand at a draft otherwise.

Last edited:
Now this is something I will definitely support, I will sign it. Good luck with your petition!

Thank you so much! <3

- - - Post Merge - - -

Was thinking about this the other day, and it may be worthwhile to pen an open letter to Nintendo about this (in as positive a tone as possible), and try to get prominent Nintendo YouTubers or personalities to sign on.

The problems are: what would it specifically say, and who could be asked about signing it?

If this is not a good idea please let me know. I can try my hand at a draft otherwise.

This is a great idea! We have a letter from the petition that gets sent to Nintendo every time someone signs. It goes like this:

?I would like to start this letter by offering my biggest thanks for the time and the effort spent into making such a beautiful game! Animal Crossing: New Horizons looks like everything fans were expecting and you can really tell that the developers have worked very hard!

The only thing that sinks my heart every time I think about it is the inability to backup games saves for this game, as stated by its developer during an interview. Animal Crossing is the type of game where a way to backup data, preferably with cloud saves, are very important. This is because of the nature of the game: players spend hours and hours on it and during that time they form very strong emotional attachments to the town and its villagers.

No two towns (or islands) are ever the same! Since the Switch is a portable console, it's more susceptible to being lost or broken or stolen. If this happens to our Switch, we would lose all our data... and no matter how much we try, there's just no way of getting that exact same town again. What's worse: losing, for example, 100 hours of gameplay will require the player around 100 hours more to get to the same place. It's time lost from our lives.

Throughout the short life of the petition, we've learned what Animal Crossing really means to people: a space to feel loved, cared and welcomed when everything else in the world seems unaccepting and not welcoming. This is why protecting each person's personal journey to create their island is absolutely necessary.

We ask you to please reconsider your decision to not have cloud saves in Animal Crossing: New Horizons and work towards a solution that will deter cheaters but will keep everyone's islands backed up. We respect your position to avoid certain exploitations but a way around it is always available! Thank you very much!?

I don't know where I could publish an open letter, we're thinking of physically emailing this letter to NoA! I also encourage everyone who is worried about this to contact Nintendo and let them know, it could be via the Web Chat or on the phone. People can also reply to Isabelle or Nintendo's twitter.

If you know of a place where I can publish this letter, let me know! If you can think of changes to make to it, also let me know :3 thanks for your idea!

Here's why cloud saves probably aren't happening:

Think of it like this: Someone gets a King's Crown and gives it to a friend. They then reload that save data from the cloud and get it back to give it to another friend or the same friend. Repeat infinite times. Now do this with all items.

People say it won't happen, or it'll be limited, but it most definitely will happen. And a few people can ruin it for everyone.

Item duplication was a huge problem in previous Animal Crossing games, so they really don't want it to happen again.

Maybe once ACNH has been out for several months they'll add it in, or at best they'll make it so only one upload/download can be done every few months, but don't expect them to walk this one back so easily.

Last edited:
It's not something I'm personally worried about, but signed anyway

Thanks!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Here is the letter :D

https://twitter.com/acnhbackup/status/1163479169721864194

Last edited:
I've been following this thread since the beginning and really hope Cloud Saves will be available at launch. Nintendo is only punishing the players who are not cheating, because there are 20 million Switch units out there that can easily be modded to do manual backups, which means item duping will be a given anyway I guess, if the people who mod their Switch decide to dupe items. Animal Crossing is also in no way meant to be competetive. This game is meant to be played a long time, like Nintendo said at E3, so it makes no sense to disable Cloud Saves. There could always happen something to your Switch, even if you take care of it and saving to the console and not cartridge only makes it worse.

But the petition seems to gain a bit of traction recently. I saw a thread on the r/NintendoSwitch subreddit with 12k upvotes yesterday, following an online article and it was also covered in a video by SpawnWave today:
Article: https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/...animal-crossing-new-horizons-is-going-strong/
Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ition_for_cloud_saves_in_animal_crossing_new/
SpawnWaves Video: https://youtu.be/UlC9VrY2wRc?t=320

Has anyone started a petition for SD card saves?

I don't want to save a game I would be playing with my wife only in our house, by having to pay for an internet service to save the game. It's not right.

I'm angry that nintendo hasn't offered SD card backup as now I won't ever be purchasing ACNH or a switch.

Back