• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Overplayed songs

Canadian music stations play an insane amount of Justin Bieber, Drake, and The Weeknd. Like, one of their songs comes on every couple songs or so. This isn’t the worst thing since I do like a few of Justin’s and The Weeknd’s songs, but the problem is is that it’s the same few songs over and over again. For Justin, it’s “Yummy” and “Stay”. For The Weeknd, it’s “Blinding Lights”, “Pray for Me”, “Save Your Tears“, “I Feel It Coming”, “Star Boy” and “Can’t Feel My Face”. I really like The Weeknd’s music, and I actually used to like the songs of his that I listed, but they’ve been overplayed so much that I can’t really stand to listen to any of them anymore. “Pray for Me” is the only exception since it was for Black Panther and makes me think of Chadwick Boseman.

I appreciate Canadian music stations wanting to play these artists a lot since they’re a few of the most popular Canadian artists right now, but I’d love to hear some of their other songs instead of the same few ones over and over. Hit me with The Weeknd’s “Heartless”, “The Hills” and “In the Night”, and some of Justin’s older songs like “Beauty And A Beat”, “As Long as You Love Me”, “Eenie Meenie”, “Ghost”, “Never Say Never” and “Baby” and I’ll be happy LOL

I said this in another thread recently, but “Closer” by The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey and “Girls Like You” by Maroon 5 ft. Cardi B were also insanely overplayed. Not so much anymore thankfully since both songs have been out for 5+ years now, but I’m still so sick of them that I immediately change the station whenever they do come on. I actually liked both songs when they first came out, but how often they were played quickly ruined them both for me.

Target played Star Boy back in the day and I despise that song.

I used to listen to the current pop music stations a lot and I have to say, Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” and “Rumor Has It” are good songs, but they got played to death about ten years ago and I don’t like them as much anymore lol.

Current overplayed songs (in my opinion):
—“Cruel Summer” by Taylor Swift
— “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus (I hear this one on Instagram a lot. I like “Yes, and?” But if people keep putting it on their posts and stories, maybe not as much.)
—“Victoria’s Secret” by Jax
—“Paint the Town Red” by Doja Cat
—“Kill Bill” by SZA

Older/seasonal overplayed songs:
—“I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor (I prefer “Never Can Say Goodbye”.)
—“Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee (why I dread December lol)
—“Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars
—“Uptown Girl” by Billy Joel
—“Let It Go” from Frozen
—“Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster the People
—“Sweet Caroline” by Neil Diamond
—when I heard “Afternoon Delight” at the grocery store…anytime you hear that song it’s overplayed lol.
—“All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey
—“Happy” by Pharrell Williams…my former CHURCH even did a version of this and I was so angry lol.
—“Boom Boom Pow” by the Black Eyed Peas
—“Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor
—“Boys ‘Round Here” by Blake Shelton
—“Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey
—“Tik Tok” by Ke$ha
—“Fancy” by Iggy Azalea
—“Gloria” by Laura Branigan (love her other songs…but the radio ruined this one for me)
—“Problem” by Ariana Grande and Iggy Azalea
—“Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran
—“Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus
—“What’s Up?” by 4 Non Blondes
—“All I Wanna Do” by Sheryl Crow
—“Breakfast at Tiffany’s” by Deep Blue Something
—“Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson
—“Super Bass” by Nicki Minaj
—“Written in the Stars” by Tinie Tempah
—“…Baby One More Time” by Britney Spears
—“You're Beautiful” by James Blunt
—“California Gurls” by Katy Perry
—“Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson
—“John Wall” (It had a chokehold on my high school and one kid even used it for his song project for English class. The teacher was NOT happy. 😂 That and the class clown who did “Jesus Take the Wheel” and sang along to it.)

Despacito - Back when this thing was trending on the internet, I would scroll away all posts related to that song, I got so sick of people talking about it all the time! I'm glad I never heard it on YouTube...

Let It Go - I do like the Frozen films, and that song is good, don't get me wrong, I just think that song had been loved a little TOO much. I prefer, "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?", instead.

A Holly Jolly Christmas - The only song I DIDN'T look forward to every December for personal reasons, I prefer every other classic Christmas song over this.

Baby Shark - I don't see what's so special about that song, I see it as just another generic song aimed at preschoolers...

My parents always have K-Love on in the car, so whichever Contemporary Christian Song #34 the station's fixated on for the past year. Hey, I like some songs from that genre. However, I like ones that are outside of the Top 5.
For example: I Thank God by TRIBL. My church has picked up that one, too. Another one is that one TobyMac song, but it's about his son so I hate to rag on it too much : p

Outside of that:
Flowers - Miley Cyrus
Love Yourself - Justin Beiber, when that was popular

Despacito - Back when this thing was trending on the internet, I would scroll away all posts related to that song
Crikey, I remember that... 😬 I speak Spanish and even I don't know the lyrics to that. I'd just automatically tune it out as soon as I'd hear it. 🙉🔇

flowers by miley cyrus, this song plays constantly on my local radio station. i get that it’s somewhat of a positive song but oh my goodness.. it’s played every 10 minutes or so.

flowers by miley cyrus, this song plays constantly on my local radio station. i get that it’s somewhat of a positive song but oh my goodness.. it’s played every 10 minutes or so.
When it was the lip sync song on Drag Race last night…I was like, “I can’t escape this song!” Lol

good thread.

I'm not much of a radio listener. (I actually drive with 1940's jazz).

But yeah, as others said, Adele, Bruno Mars, Even LMFAO are crazy overplayed. Why am I still hearing Party Rock Anthem in 2024. c'mon man

A radio station I keep hearing (thanks to my parents) has a Christmas playlist and in December they always have the same old fare, which I've gotten pretty bored of. But my least favorite song is this unique one (whose title I won't reveal for safety purposes) where it ends with the singer saying, "Oh how I wish you heEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEre!" Hearing it once was okay, but I've listened to this song play so many times that it became irritating.

I listen to a radio that plays "classics" from the 60s to the 2000s but I'm so tired of hearing Pretty Woman almost everyday.

I listen to a radio that plays "classics" from the 60s to the 2000s but I'm so tired of hearing Pretty Woman almost everyday.
lol 40 years to choose from and they pick the same song? I feel that. Some stations are just like that. I think it's whoever is hosting. Some station I no longer tune in to would play the girl on fire song allll the time. I switched stations because of them and have never went back.

And then they got really good hits that they just sleep on. Like kids in america. I barely hear that song.

Back