• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo Update General Discussion

I don't get why people are saying Amiibos are just a way of getting money, like ???? They're a company it's how they stay in business

This. Like, they unlock extra content and you don't have to buy them. I for one like to collect my favorite characters, and bonus: they also work with games!

I don't get why people are saying Amiibos are just a way of getting money, like ???? They're a company it's how they stay in business.

I get that... But there is more than one way of getting money and staying in business. There's a line that can be drawn here.

There is producing a full game, and selling it. The customer spends that money, gets the product they want. Everyone's happy. Then there's...this disturbing trend among video game companies as of late (Nintendo is far from the only one guilty of it, and weren't necessarily the first, but they are guilty of it now) where features are intentionally left out of games, and the company then provides some very annoying, costly method to get them back.

The first case I really got a taste of this was with The Sims. The Sims series is in shambles now. But for goodness sake, at least with The Sims you could spend money for what you want, and specifically get what you want. Now we're starting to move into an even darker age of DLC where the company provides DLC in random bundles. You may get what you want, you may not. And then they charge ridiculous amounts for it. Nintendo is NOT the only one guilty of this, I repeat, but with Amiibo cards, they are veering off into that territory. They know darn well that people are going to want a specific villager, or a specific item. And they know that people will spend ridiculous amounts of money to get those, if they can.

If you don't think people will, just look at Kingdom Hearts Unchained. People will spend ridiculous amounts of money for what they want, even if it's not in any physical form whatsoever.

That's a rant about Amiibo cards, though. The Amiibo themselves, I just find completely gimmicky. I understand why someone would want a model of their favorite character, but the Amiibo are not even good as models. They're really poorly made. So, even though they aren't randomized DLC like the Amiibo cards, I still don't much care for them, just as I don't really care for any of Nintendo's gimmicks.

"Expand your Animal Crossing™ horizons with a free update, coming this fall! Once installed, all Animal Crossing amiibo™ figures and cards will be compatible with the game. Tap your favorite villagers’ amiibo cards to invite them to come visit your town. You can also tap select amiibo from other series to get new furniture themed to those characters!"

'Furniture themed to those characters'. Oh. Great, all I need to see are more Nintendo themed houses! If I see another NES Super Mario Bros themed Animal Crossing house I'm going to scream.

Last edited:
I notice these new amiibo cards don't have a birthday on them, so either these 50 villagers have no birthdays, or we have to discover them ourselves. New Leaf already has 333 villagers; when adding the new 50 (plus what whatever we get from other amiibos) we have roughly 383, which means some villagers will have the same birthday. We know this to be true since each villager use to have a unique birthday until HHD rolled out. When Maddie was released, she had the same birthday as Rene?. Maybe they ran into programming errors when having 2 villagers with the same birthday (2 parties the same day if you happen to have 2 villagers with the same birthday) so the new 50 won't have them? Who knows.

Sanrio/Hello Kitty amiibo card series 6, anyone?
news_item04_img02.png

More stuff here:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/egdj/paper/news_design1.html
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/egdj/paper/index.html

I don't get why people are saying Amiibos are just a way of getting money, like ???? They're a company it's how they stay in business

- - - Post Merge - - -

From the Amiibo site

"Expand your Animal Crossing? horizons with a free update, coming this fall! Once installed, all Animal Crossing amiibo? figures and cards will be compatible with the game. Tap your favorite villagers? amiibo cards to invite them to come visit your town. You can also tap select amiibo from other series to get new furniture themed to those characters!"

- That sentence I bolded has been niggling at me since I read it earlier today. I've just realised why : it says *visit*. We've all been thinking the amiibo cards would be able to move in villagers, but what if the cards will just have them visit in a van at the new campgrounds? I, personally, would be completely fine and it wouldn't affect my towns. But it seems like a lot of people are excited to be able to move villagers into their actual town - and the specific wording used just doesn't really support that.

https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/animal-crossing-new-leaf-3ds

- That sentence I bolded has been niggling at me since I read it earlier today. I've just realised why : it says *visit*. We've all been thinking the amiibo cards would be able to move in villagers, but what if the cards will just have them visit in a van at the new campgrounds? I, personally, would be completely fine and it wouldn't affect my towns. But it seems like a lot of people are excited to be able to move villagers into their actual town - and the specific wording used just doesn't really support that.

https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/animal-crossing-new-leaf-3ds

Except that in the Nintendo Direct footage, the player was talking to Hopkins inside his van. There were three different options. There is also an image on the official site that shows a brief description of Hopkins in game and gives to the ability to "order his furniture."

1. Let's talk
2. You should live here!
3. Gotcha!

https://youtu.be/r5IQ1Okm_Tc

We aren't getting our hopes up for nothing. We are basing it on what we see in the game footage.

Last edited:
Nooo, not Hello Kitty villagers... Does Nintendo really want to make this a little girl's game?

Do these new villagers appear as random move-ins or are the Amiibo cards required to have them move in? If so it doesn't really sound much like a free update :p Same goes for the new furniture.

Do these new villagers appear as random move-ins or are the Amiibo cards required to have them move in? If so it doesn't really sound much like a free update :p Same goes for the new furniture.

We don't know yet if these new villagers will be able to move by themselves in our town, without the cards. But they said that the update should have other features, so don't lose hope yet. :D

- - - Post Merge - - -

HAHAHA

Nooo, not Hello Kitty villagers... Does Nintendo really want to make this a little girl's game?

you can only get themed items, not actual sanrio characters as villagers

which sux bc i would love kiki and lala in my town
but then i am a child on the inside so

Animal Crossing is played by little girls, too. I'm pretty sure there's plenty in the game that has catered to everyone else.

I hope one of the Sanrio cards features Shinkansen. I neeeed bullet train character themed furniture.

Can we all agree that a New Leaf Post Office board should be opened to exchange New Leaf amiibo cards?

I don't see any reason not to just use the existing board we have! It's not even titled specifically as a Happy Home Designer board. ;)

So wait, are we 1000% sure that the villagers on the cards won't appear in game, and that it wasn't just a disclaimer about Sanrio characters themselves in the game? Like that we couldn't get a Hello Kitty villager but that maybe we could get the Hello Kitty inspired gorilla that appears on that card or whatnot?

I'm just kinda dying here because the gorilla and sheep especially look adorable

The hello kitty villagers / items are super cute ^^ . I hope we do see them.

Oh, and by the way:
Are those new PWPs/giant furniture items like in HHD in the bottom left corner seen on this card?
That lake was available in HHD, the bridge looks new to me.
And why would a Bridge be a furniture item you can order and that's in the rabbit's house?
I don't think it's there as a symbol or because that rabbit has an infamous bridge or so,
new PWPs certainly seem possible now. (Hoping for the e+ Yoshi Egg :))
news_design2_img3.jpg

You find it by clicking on the button just below the pack of the Series 6 amiibo cards here, with the other 4 revealed Sanrio cards:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/egdj/paper/index.html

Oh, and by the way–
Another new picture, and it looks upscaled somehow… (Ohmigosh NX confirrrmed!!111!)
It's weird, now even they upscale 3DS stuff, with that waifu2x thing having grown in usage
b87e8e8bd01ee3998e87b2fad25c9c18.jpg

(Grabbed from the Sanrio website, yes I researched the characters and am ashamed of myself =P)

Last edited:
Back