need some good breakup songs.

so sorry for you, hun. breakups are difficult.

I hope you heal quickly and if you need anyone to talk to, feel free to reach out to me.
I will be more than happy to lend an ear, give advice, whatever you need (if you need it). I feel for you.

hmm.. songs I've always turned to for this matter would be here without you by 3 doors down or what hurts the most by rascal flatts. there's few more I could think of but others have already suggested them I believe.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the stuff I listen to but they are stereotyped as 'emo' and would probably make you feel worse.

Like what? I'm curious. I like a couple of bands classified as emo. And they were with me during some of my darkest hours.

I think it's a misconception that listening to depressing music while depressed is a bad idea. I suppose for some people this might be true, as it music is made to enhance emotion. For somebody who is self-destructive, that's probably not a good thing, but I think that person's problems root much deeper than music, and the music isn't to blame...

However, I think it's one of the best things listening to sad music when you're down. It helps you cry, does it not?? Which is part of the healing process. If you are able to experience the lows of life's roller coaster for what they're worth, and recognize the bright shiny day afterwards, it all comes full circle when your coaster eventually climbs to another high. That's when you play that fun upbeat stuff. Imagine a sad part of a movie, and they try to enhance the scene with upbeat happy music...it just doesn't work.

if you want to relish in sadness, then listen to the Smiths.

if you want to savor the bittersweetness of love, then listen to Sade.

but if you want to feel better then there's only one song, and its so obvious i cant believe nobody recommended it:

Almost Lover- Feist
Rejazz -Regina Spektor
Merry Happy-Kate Nash

Every time I have ever dealt with heartache, these ladies pulled me through.

Sorry to hear about the breakup. Although like a few others said why don't you listen to somethub upbeat, listening to depressing music would just keep reminding you of it and you're gonna have an even harder time getting over it.

when I broke up with my gf I listened a lot to I hate everything about you by three days of grace. Probably not the song you're looking for but angry songs always helped me more than the sad ones :p

Last edited:
Some of these are lesser known songs, and some of them are a 'lil depressing, so I'm sorry if they don't help. I'm still young, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Let Her Go - Passenger (sorta more nostalgic/depressing depending how you listen to it)
Jason Mraz - I Won't Give Up (idk if this one's really a breakup song tbh)
When I Was Your Man - Bruno Mars (OK definitely on the more depressing side)
One Direction - Night Changes (I find this one nostalgic)
One Direction - Spaces (Sorta bittersweet in a way)
5 Seconds of Summer - Heartbreak Girl (more fast paced)
5 Seconds of Summer - Amnesia (more of a downer too)
5 Seconds of Summer - San Francisco (quite nostalgic, a medium kinda tempo)
Everything I Knew - Busted (a lot more niche and kinda depressing)
I Will Break Your Heart - Busted (this one might be a 'lil harder to find - I think it's on Spotify? It's got a good beat to it though)
Lies - McFly (this one's much more sorta angry lol, but more upbeat)
Do Watcha - McFly (again, more angry)
POV - McFly (more of a downer as well)
Raise Your Glass - P!nk (empowering, good fastish beat)
F***in' Perfect - P!nk (a lot more emotional tbh)
Die Young - Ke$ha (kinda cheesy, but real upbeat)
Mr Brightside - The Killers (no idea how this one's even a breakup song tbh, it just cheers me up)

And a bonus because I'm trash...
The Internet Is Here - Dan and Phil (again, just one that cheers me up)

Hope these help, or at least some of them do. :] And I hope things get better for you soon. <3

Last edited:
I feel ya girl, heart break sucks.
A guy I was seeing for a few months completely played me and made me believe we were really something, and then one day he just vanished and ghosted me forever. I later found out he started to see someone else and thought it was the appropriate thing to just kick me to the curb like I wasn't a person with feelings despite everything. Really depressed & ruined me for a while BUT YOU'LL GET OVER IT!!! Trust me!

I'm so sorry this happened! : (
"M? - Waste of Time" is an excellent breakup song in my opinion.

It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M.

Last edited:
Back