My favorite tropes from TVTropes (Part Two)

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Christmas Gold Candy
Planet Glow Wand
Snowflake Glow Wand
Pumpkin Glow Wand
Christmas Candy
Sorry for the huge delay, but Part Two is finally here:

Last time, I went over my favorite tropes based on each letter from A to M. Some of these are plot elements (like irony or foreshadowing, but others are repeated themes with a similar story (like when a villain wins but doesn’t get what they want or when an abused sidekick or victim gets revenge against the villain). Since I couldn’t list them all in one entry due to character limits (unless if I can omit descriptions), I’m going to continue this in a different part (and I’m keeping my promise too).

• N - Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The good guy succeeds in a task they needed to do, but by doing it, they made the situation worse. Because while they were at it, they also did something else that deteriorated the situation or created a new problem. The best example I can think of is the Treaty of Versailles, which punished Germany, but the way they did it worsened the situation and dragged us into another war (especially since we’re still living with the remnants of that war). A villainous counterpart of this is Nice Job Fixing it, Villain, where the villain does something that makes it better for the heroes or worse for the villains.
  • O - Odd Name Out: In a group of people, places, and things, almost all of them have similar names, but there is one name that does not go along with the others. There is a similar trope where a whole collection has the same traits or qualities, but one differs from the rest.
  • P - Plot Twist: Another trope that’s more like a plot element, this refers to an event in the story that the audiences were not expecting. It could be at the climax or the turning point, but it completely changes the plot around as it shocks the audience after experiencing it all along. Sometimes, this trope works well. Other times, it does not.
  • Q - Quantity vs Quality: Although they are compatible with each other, sometimes in fiction they contradict each other. In this theme, you have a choice between more of one thing or the better thing. Sometimes, quantity is more important, but other times, quality is more important. This may not be the best example or an example used on TV Tropes, but when I read about how bad Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull are, I learned that Temple of Doom had a lot more flaws than any Indiana Jones movie, but the worst flaws come from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
  • R - Reality Ensues: In fiction, the characters can get what they want, but what they don’t know is the limits of reality. Once they acknowledge it, then that’s when trouble strikes.
  • S - Seven Deadly Sins: While it’s an actual concept about real life and what can ruin your soul, it seems to be a repeated theme in fiction. Some characters in fiction resemble all seven of them personality wise. And there are some examples when a whole cast represents each sin individually.
  • T - Tempting Fate: Sometimes, a character would say something that would make things worse for other characters or the rest of the world, so whoever says it is put up to a challenge.
  • U - Up to Eleven: An idiom that has originated from the 1984 film This is Spinal Tap, it describes a situation where someone or something continues doing something, but takes it beyond the maximum level, to where it exaggerates the situation.
  • V - Visual Pun: Playing on words is fun, but sometimes, they go too far by making an image based on the pun. For instance, an idiom that describes how bad it’s raining is “raining cats and dogs”, but you see animals falling out of the sky instead of heavy rain.
  • W - What Happened to the Mouse: They may mention some minor character or plotline in the tv show, movie, video game, or whatever, but they eventually forget about it later on despite bringing it up earlier. There is a similar trope called Aborted Arc, which is about a major element that they chose to work on, but they abandoned it in favor for something else.
  • X - X must not win: In a particular situation, an enemy of a character or a group of characters (good or bad) may win. If that happens, it will spell disastrous consequences for the group. So they have to hope it doesn’t happen.
  • Y - Yandere: We know that some characters in fiction are sane and some are not. But Yandere is a completely different level of insanity or obsession. This is when they go too far to where they do crazy things.
  • Z - Zeerust: The last trope on this list is a descriptive term that describes how the present or future from a past work becomes the past, and they are not accurate about it. Take for instance, people used to believe that TV dinners were the meals of the future, but their future (which is our present) proves otherwise.
That’s all for TV Tropes. I find the site interesting, as well as the tropes, as it shows how much people put into writing.

Back