• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.

My A button is broken T_T

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Bells
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
So I loaded up my New Leaf town for the first time in a while only to discover that my A button is no longer working well. I am so sad! I don't want to not be able to play in my town anymore but I also don't know if buying a new 3DS will be worth it, since New Horizons is on the way.. What do you guys think? Should I just leave it and never play New Leaf again? Or should I bite the bullet and just buy a new 3DS xl just for the chance to play New Leaf? I mean.. I also bought a lot of Virtual Console games and other 3DS games I haven't played yet so it wouldn't be just for New Leaf, but that would be the main reason..

Well I still have the Oracle Zelda games to play on my 3DS, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon that I never finished, and the original remake that I didn't even start yet. Wario games, Earthbound, Super Metroid, and my entire Zelda game collection for 3DS that I have revisited from time to time. I just haven't been playing my 3DS lately because I've been so addicted to Dragon Quest Builders 2 on my Switch. But I always end up addicted to some game on my 3DS at least once a year.

Last edited:
you should try and get it repaired then, as it sounds like u will still get good use out of it for a few years to come, otherwise u can get a second hand 3ds for a decent price at a local games retailer.

I think sending it for repair will cost a lot and also I don't trust it since it might wipe my animal crossing save. Yeah maybe I should just get one second hand. I'm worried about the longevity of an old system though.

I think sending it for repair will cost a lot and also I don't trust it since it might wipe my animal crossing save. Yeah maybe I should just get one second hand. I'm worried about the longevity of an old system though.

Idk where you live but 3DS repairs at one of my local game shop (not official) are really cheap. Maybe because it’s not official? I looked up a Facebook group for Nintendo Fans in my city and asked around for reliable but cheap game repairs and that’s how I found mine. Maybe there’s something similar for your area? I got my joystick replaced completely for the equivalent of under 10 bucks and later got my charging port repaired for the same price. They did it right in front of me so there was no big wait time. I’ve been using my old 3DS XL for 7 years now (and when I bought it, it was already refurbished) by continually repairing the tiny things :’D If it’s just a matter of poking around inside your 3DS to tinker with the A button definitely try and get different quotes on repairs. I think you should only buy a whole new 3DS if there’s something wrong with the system itself eg. Water damage and more serious hardware problems.

Nintendo sells refurbished 2DS's on eBay for $50 and 2DS XL's for $100.They come with a one year factory warranty and are sold directly by Nintendo.Yeah,they don't have 3D but it's a relatively safe and cheaper alternative.

I would look into learning how to make your own repairs, as it's cheaper and you'll learn a valuable skill. I used to chuck my 3DS aside and buy new ones whenever the thumb stick broke from the stress put on it from playing Smash Brothers or Mario Kart 7. Eventually I thought it'd be a lot cheaper if I just learned how to repair it myself, so I looked up How to open a 3DS (what tools you'll need) and How to replace the thumbstick on my 3DS and found many sites that explained this with great detail. Additionally, I looked up videos on YouTube to know what I'll run into when opening my 3DS. I then looked on Amazon and Ebay for a more durable thumbstick and bought one along with the other tools and materials I'd need and proceeded to replace the part myself.

At first, I was nervous I'd screw up and didn't have enough confidence, so I experimented with my older 3DSs and I was able to acquire other parts I'd need for future repairs, successfully change the thumstick with a more durable one and I now knew what to expect whenever I opened my 3DS. It's a whole lot cheaper than sending it in for repairs or buying a new 3DS. (Just my two cents.)

Last edited:
Back