6564-7999-6182
Island
Melemele
May Birthstone (Emerald)
Lucky
Mother's Day Carnation
Tasty Cake
Orange (Fruit)
We have all had a time were we forgot to save a game and lost a hell of an amount of progress. What are you stories?

Mine happened yesterday. I was playing Pokemon Pearl and my game froze. Then I realised that I last saved yesterday. I raged. And that's why I went to sleep at 1:00am in the morning.

It's happened a lot in my days of Gameboy Color and Gamecube, and playing ACNL when the back of my 3DS was loose (the screws were scewed, long story). So there was a while of having to be extremely careful even touching it til it was fixed. Til then, if I knocked it the wrong way even the slightest, I'd lose my progress ;-;

Oh and of course when playing online games and getting kicked kinda stories. Happened a lot in Destiny 1 when my Xbox 360 had a faulty receiver. Good times.

Last edited:
I always remembered a friend in middle school talking about the first Max Payne game for X-Box. "I accidentally quick saved while I was falling off a building, so every time I load it I just immediately die."

I've lost some serious progress in a few games, but it never really bothers me. The most frequent example was probably Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind because I put so much damned time into that game and there were a few times that it froze.

I also like doing franchise runs in sports games (namely MLB games) and one time the power went out while I was saving my third-year franchise. Lost all the progress. Now I keep two saves so I, at worst, just lose a single game instead of multiple seasons and roster decisions.

I've never forgotten to save since I normally bind a quick save on my PC or save very frequently. Unfortunately my brother has overwritten my 300-500 hours saves on games like Skyrim. It has killed any reason for me to want to play the game again and I just cant get back into it...

We have all had a time were we forgot to save a game and lost a hell of an amount of progress. What are you stories?

Mine happened yesterday. I was playing Pokemon Pearl and my game froze. Then I realised that I last saved yesterday. I raged. And that's why I went to sleep at 1:00am in the morning.

I had that same thing happen with Neptunia Re;birth 2. I had played the game for probably about 8 hours or so since I had last saved last and then the game locked up on me. I got annoyed enough with it that I haven't touched the game since. Why? Because all of the progress I had lost was tedious grinding stuff. It wasn't actual story progression. That was back in January or February I think. I haven't felt like doing any of that again.

I don't really have any stories but I have to say this is the worst thing ever and mostly the reason I'm now planning on getting AC Switch digitally - the reason being that I'm experiencing a lot of my cartridge games for DS disconnecting (they're old) and of course it wouldn't be a problem if you could continue the game when the connection was re-established but I don't think this is the case on the Switch either :( I just hate to lose any progress at all even if it's a little bit.

I?ve always been good about this, but the one thing that hurts is a game that?s not well optimized and crashes randomly. I bring you to FFXV: at the time I didn?t know it had issues with RAM and so it would randomly exit the game with no error dialogue or anything. And poof - there went my save file.

I get upset when I lose progress and it?s not actually my fault. Like I can take it when I?m too stupid to save, but if it?s not that then it just is painful.

Last edited:
I deleted my Mad Max save file, that's the only time I ever clicked delete instead of continue and didn't pay attention. 8 hours worth of collecting and exploring gone. It could be much worse, but that's still a lot of gameplay to lose. Especially when you just got passed the first huge chunk of the game and just wanna continue with the campaign.

Oh dear, in Skyward Sword, when you beat the game, it will tell you that you can play the game again in hero mode. It clearly stated that my all of my progress will be lost but I assumed that it won't happen for whatever reason. I went ahead and got surprised that I had to beat the game the second time around. I planned to just roam around after beating the final boss but nope.

I'm an absolute monster when it comes to losing my progress in games. I frequently, while playing new leaf, just turn my 3ds when I'm done playing instead of saving.
The worst example is me deleting my saves in games out of boredom. I lost several hundred hours of pokemon black 2 because I decided that I was bored with the game, and it was my first playthrough too. The reset I regret the most was on my original blue 3ds, right from launch. I decided to factory reset it, and there shouldn't have been any issues with that, right? Well, when you first boot up a factory restarted 3ds, it has you do calibration tests, and my 3d slider was completely busted on my 3ds, which meant I couldn't get past the calibration screens for the 3d slider, since there isn't a way I know of that could bypass them without SICK HAX, which I just don't have the skill to do.

I forgot to save Xenoblade Chronicles (the Wii game) after having played through 25% of the game. I knew that the game didn't have auto save and I should have saved it more often (or save when the game tells me to) but for some reason I didn't. Then during a boss fight we had a power outage! So there goes all my progress. I never have been able to motivate myself to play through the game again, losing progress in video games really stings :(

I loaded an auto/quicksave in Divinity Original Sin 2 once because I accidentally pressed the wrong button killing a bunch of guards, civilians and potential quest NPCS. The game usually autosaves pretty regularly and I'll quicksave regularly too, but turns out the last time the game saved was over an hour earlier.

I just stopped playing and didn't play it again until the definitive edition came out.

Does a broken memory card which caused a massive lost of game progress count too? Because this
happened to me with a memory card for the Game Cube back then. My shelf where my GC stand on
it got knocked over, and of course the cube had to land on that side where the memory card was in
it. The console was luckily fine, but not the card, it got broken by this and later my GC was not able
to read the card anymore. Lost lots of save files and I was more than just sad about it.

Other than that, I forgot many times to save my game, like while playing Pokemon on the DS
back then, I made a huge step forward into the story and silly me just turned off the DS and
later was wondering why I was back on my old save point. I also lost a few times progress
because I forgot to charged my DS/3DS and then the console said bye bye to the dumbst
moment where I couldn't save my game anymore because it was too late.

One of our NES consoles has a bit of a problem with reading the games, so you have to wiggle the game cart a little bit to get it working. This sometimes results in game data being lost, unfortunately. I've had my saves in The Legend of Zelda wiped too many times. Not the biggest of problem since Zelda is a game you can beat in a couple of sittings if you know the game.

The only other time I can remember losing a save file was when my friend, who I had lent my PS1 memory card to, accidently saved over my Lv. 99 save on Final Fantasy VII. He was a bit embarrassed when he returned my memory card. lol I later discovered that I had a duplicate file saved in slot 15. I usually keep duplicates just in case something like this would happen.

Happened a lot when I was playing fallout 3! I wouldn't save often and the game would crash a lot... so sometimes I would loos more than 2 hours of gameplay just like that... thanks god i found that fan-made patch afterwards! Same for fallout new vegas, everytime I'd enter a house my game would freeze instantly. Again, a fan-made patch removed all the crashes and allowed for a nice experience.

BaCk In my dAy...

i accidentaly knocked my power cord for my NES and it fell out while i was playing SMB3. Sad times.

Last edited:
Pok?mon Sun, I totally blanked on how to save, assumed it would auto-save, and turned it off.

It did not auto-save. My one consolation was that I was already going to be deleting the profile soon anyway.

Oh, I had something similar happen to me when I played Pok?mon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of the Sky.

I had about a day of progress: opening up treasures, doing missions to hatch eggs, training Pok?mon I liked in easier dungeons to level them up and take them with me to Zero Isles. And then I decided to go to North Isle. I thought "Well, this island is easy. I beat it all the time. I just want a few extra stat enhancers and gummies to feed my favorite weaker Pokemon, so I can take them along with me in harder dungeons". I was around floor 50-60? and I put my DS in sleep mode, and decided to go to sleep myself and continue where I left off the next day. But then I forgot I had it on the desk next to me and the DS fell and the game crashed...
tenor.gif

I was so pissed that day that I gave Mystery Dungeon a long rest and decided to play another game unrelated to Pokemon or Dungeon exploring just to not be reminded of it. :(

Back