• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

LGBTQA - Discussion and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe there are no quiltbags that need support?

I'm sure that there are some here who'd like support or who'd at least like to discuss their experiences or hardships they may have. Maybe they're not posting because the thread has become so off-topic, and they don't want to be the one to put it back on track. I know I wouldn't want to, as I'd feel intimidated or like I'm stopping the off-topic "fun".

I have a question for uh, hate to be blunt about it, gay people. Do your friends or other people always talk to you about how your gay? To the point where it becomes everything who you are? It was like this when I was. I wanted to know if I was the only one.

I have a question for uh, hate to be blunt about it, gay people. Do your friends or other people always talk to you about how your gay? To the point where it becomes everything who you are? It was like this when I was. I wanted to know if I was the only one.

My friends and family don't let "gay" become who I am. I'm treated the way I always was before I came out, but now we talk about guys I can get with, lol.
However, strangers, co-workers, etc. ... That's who I am. It's annoying. I'm always asked by people "Wow you're gay? When did you decide to stop liking girls?" Or "What made you want to be gay?" I'm just like "Are you kidding me?" People just don't understand.
The worst is girls who say "Let's go out! I've always wanted a gay friend!" I'm like "Betch get out of here".
I only have time for people who want to be close to ME as a person, not my being gay.

I am indeed a pretty happy quiltbag. Despite the fact that I can't date anyone due to the lack of viable woman is a bit of a problem so if anyone can give me advice on how to deal with this, I would like to hear it because I'm honestly very bored with having crushes on straight girls.

I'm gay, but I'm not out because of my extremely religious family and friends. Blah.

My simple solution for that is to not make it all about who I am to begin with. I don't feel the need to address my bisexuality unless it directly relates to the conversation. I don't see the need to come out to everybody I meet, it's my personal life. Straight people don't have to go around addressing that they're straight.

What I don't get, is why gay people should have to come out in the first place, like you said. It's hardly alien; being gay is normal. Why should gays have to make a big song and dance just to say they're gay.

What I don't get, is why gay people should have to come out in the first place, like you said. It's hardly alien; being gay is normal. Why should gays have to make a big song and dance just to say they're gay.
Because of the way our modern-day culture portrays it with shows like Glee or the New Normal. They over emphasize being gay and act like you're a rare breed if you are so when in reality, there's really nothing that sets you apart from every human being on the planet. Gay people are the same as straight people. The only difference is the sexual preference.

Glee
Glee
Glee
Glee

Sorry wut tht is all I see in that sentence

Ok srs time. Yes Glee does over emphasize the gay characters. (this is going to be a huge ass long post I can feel it in my bones so sit tight my lovelies)

Season 1: Kurt.
Season 2: Kurt. Blaine. Santana. Brittany. Dave.
Season 3: Kurt. Blaine. Santana. Brittany. Dave. Sebastian. Chandler.
Season 4: Kurt. Blaine. Santana. Brittany. Dave. Sebastian. Chandler. Eli C.
(probs forgot some lol)

Those are just the mains. Sorry what did you say back in Season 1 Kurt 'I'm the only gay kid in Lima' (maybe it was season 2 oh well) - anyway, I only said a few of the characters. Season 3 they went to the gay bar filled with people. Santana also has that girl who she had an 'attraction' to (in 4x04) - not to mention she gets a new love interest in 4x14 (AKA Eli. C 2.0). Season 3 finale there are two gays walking down the halls...

I'm sorry Kurt wut... 'I'm the only gay kid in Lima'
It's just kinda a joke within the fandom I guess, but Klaine (god speak ship terms... Kurt and Blaine) get such unequal treatment to Brittana (Santana and Brittany). I don't even like Klaine myself, I prefer Brittana (or non canon Faberry) but I mean. All of Klaine's story lines are essentially parallel to Finchel's (Finn and Rachel)

- both lose their virginities in the same episode
- both get prom queen and dance with their bf
That's just a few

Then their parallels with Brittana...
- Saturday Night Glee-ver; Brittana 'I love you so much' some other **** too idk
- Dance With Somebody (the next episode); Klaine 'I love you so much' legit the wording was exactly the same

DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BLINA (Blaine and Tina)
GURLL U KNOW HE IS GAY WHY THE **** DO YOU HAVE A CRUSH ON HIM AND HAVE TO SING 2 SOLOS WITHIN 3 EPISODES DIRECTED TO HIM.
Lol jk I don't care more Tina solos for me haehaheaoe

Where has this post gone I don't even know let me get back on track..

Ok. Fox/Glee (idk if it's Fox or the writers) treat both gay characters differently. Brittana are totally allowed to talk about their sex lives, post a sex tape, talk about scissoring blah blah blha.
Klaine get to be like 'lets go make out'

No that's not even what I wanted to post ok...

But the first thing I posted; the whole Kurt saying 'I'm the only gay one here'
Season 1: Kurt is the only gay kid in Lima
Season 2: Kurt finds another gay kid
Season 3: More gay characters are introduced
Season 4: 50% of the school is gay
Season 5: All of Lima is gay and wants Kurt Hummel

OHHHH I REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!
Season 3, Mash Off/I kissed a girl (3x06/3x07 I think?)

3x06;
Finn: Hey I'm Finn Hudson I'm gonna out Santana in the middle of the hallways so everyone can hear because I am such a hero
Santana: O hey Finn outed me I'm gonna slap him across the face

3x07;
*try to suspend Santana for slapping him but totally ignore the fact he just outed her and ruined her life*
Finn: Santana I am sorry I will throw a big ass party in glee club and bring the troubletones and new directions together to help you. LET'S HAVE A PARTY YA'LL!!!!!
*Have like 3 people sing songs about how they love u for being a lesbian*
Santana: HEY YA'LL I AM LESBIAN LETS THROW A PARTY AND HAVE ALL THE GIRLS SING I KISSED A GIRL AND WE'LL ALL HUMP EACH OTHER AND FEEL EACH OTHER UP IN THE CHOIR ROOM AND HAVE YOU ALL HUG ME LIKE I AM THE QUEEN

Like no. That episode was totes ****ed did she really need to have a whole episode dedicated to her just for her coming out? I think not...

Ok I have gone way off track with this post I forget what I planned to post oops sorry every1

Because of the way our modern-day culture portrays it with shows like Glee or the New Normal. They over emphasize being gay and act like you're a rare breed if you are so when in reality, there's really nothing that sets you apart from every human being on the planet. Gay people are the same as straight people. The only difference is the sexual preference.

I think that's the problem with sexuality at the moment. We're in the stage where it's largely becoming accepted and TV shows are taking advantage of that to boost their views. Eventually sexuality will probably become the same as race. Nobody will care and it'll just be a thing that exists.

I hope one day the whole "Gay Pride" thing disappears also. While it's great for visibility, I don't think it does gay, lesbian or bisexual people any favours. It separates people by their sexualities instead of what should be happening, which is integrating everybody into a collective society.

I hope one day the whole "Gay Pride" thing disappears also. While it's great for visibility, I don't think it does gay, lesbian or bisexual people any favours. It separates people by their sexualities instead of what should be happening, which is integrating everybody into a collective society.

yolo bro I totes agree.
Different thoughts though.
But them *****s (lol not me because it's me lets be honest here) are like 'Hey I am gay lets be proud of who I am and flaunt it in the whole worlds face"
I am just like 'gurl no'
like. Sry. You want equal treatment, u want to have kiddies and get married. But yet here u r flaunting ur gayness infront of everyones face.
Maybe straight people want a parade to express their straightness, too.
I don't even understand

Like yes it is good for creating awareness, but like, when this **** is on my TV I am just like 'plz go away I am sick of u being in my face all the time;

does this make sense? no ok

For me, it really depends on the friend. Some of my friends are perfectly fine with it and don't even address it. While I've had friends that wouldn't let it the hell go. I think they were just trying to be tolerant and just ended up being hardcore annoying. Like I couldn't even say a girl was pretty in a platonic way without them teasing me.

And then I have some who aren't really that comfortable with it, and prefer not to talk about it. Which is honestly fine with me.

Personally, I dislike the whole gay pride movement. Parading down the street half-nude is not going to convince anyone to take you seriously. It annoys me.

Personally, I dislike the whole gay pride movement. Parading down the street half-nude is not going to convince anyone to take you seriously. It annoys me.

I've been to several gay pride parades and participating can actually be empowering! It's kind of a way to show the public "This is how much I care what you say about me"
When you grow up being afraid to express yourself with the fear of looking/sounding "gay", or being judged in general, it's just a way to let it all out and show the world "This is me". And being surrounded by others like you makes up for all the moments of feeling like a minority.
I cannot deny though, it is the most obnoxious, tongue-in-cheek way to show this. But it's something to experience.

I've been to several gay pride parades and participating can actually be empowering! It's kind of a way to show the public "This is how much I care what you say about me"
When you grow up being afraid to express yourself with the fear of looking/sounding "gay", or being judged in general, it's just a way to let it all out and show the world "This is me". And being surrounded by others like you makes up for all the moments of feeling like a minority.
I cannot deny though, it is the most obnoxious, tongue-in-cheek way to show this. But it's something to experience.

Not everybody defines themselves primarily by their sexuality, though. Saying "THIS IS ME", at least for me, isn't right. My sexuality isn't me.

Not everybody defines themselves primarily by their sexuality, though. Saying "THIS IS ME", at least for me, isn't right. My sexuality isn't me.

Of course, to each their own.
Personally, my sexuality was actually a huge part of who I was growing up. It was the source of my unhappiness and made me uncomfortable in my body. Being able to overcome all that and embrace my sexuality was one of the biggest turning points.
The older I get, I'm learning more about what truly makes me me, and I realize it's deeper than just being gay. But my sexuality was, at one point, a big part of who I was.

Of course, to each their own.
Personally, my sexuality was actually a huge part of who I was growing up. It was the source of my unhappiness and made me uncomfortable in my body. Being able to overcome all that and embrace my sexuality was one of the biggest turning points.
The older I get, I'm learning more about what truly makes me me, and I realize it's deeper than just being gay. But my sexuality was, at one point, a big part of who I was.

I agree. I mean, I came out around 12 or 13, and back then it was like "Oh yeah I'm gay yay this is everything." And now that I'm in college, it's like, "Oh, yeah, I'm gay, there's that."

If someone close to you makes a confession, and they make it clear that it is a big deal to them, then it is important. It doesn't matter if learning that your friend/sibling/barista is flying the rainbow quiltbag makes no difference in how you see them...it was an important point they needed to make. It's fabulous that more and more people see everyone as equal. Acceptance is beautiful. Inclusivity is the way of the future...but we aren't completely there yet. I love that you see it all as normal, Suiseiseki. I wish the whole world saw gender and sexuality that way. So yeah, it still is a big deal to come out. Especially in small, isolated communities, or to religious family members.

I took a class about a year ago where we talked a lot about the whole "are you gay or straight" thing, and we learned about something called the Kinsey Scale.
It's a scale of 0-6 with 0 being completely straight with no "gay" fantasies or thoughts whatsoever, and 6 being the complete opposite. Learning about it made me change the way that I think about different sexualities and made me appreciate them more.
On that scale, I would put myself as a 1 because I've only fantasized and wouldn't actually date another girl and consider myself to be straight.
I used to sort of consider myself as asexual though because I was completely repulsed by the idea of any sort of sexual interaction with anyone and wanted nothing to do with it. I've never actually met someone else who considers or used to consider themselves asexual though. I'm curious to see if anyone here does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back