Least favorite character in fiction

I played Digimon Cyber Sleuth and there was this character that made me uncomfortable right from the moment she first spoke (due to me being aroace. She was literally flirting with people in her first appearance) and then she continued to do things later that made me absolutely hate her (due to her being a villain). I only remember liking one thing she ever said and that's it. I can't stand her otherwise. I don't remember her name, though.

In terms of film, I would say that I found Frodo more unlikable in The Lord of the Rings films than I did in the book/s. My least favourite film character is without-a-doubt Tauriel from The Hobbit films, which were terrible adaptations of the book, and I find it unfathomable that they inserted an entirely new character into a perfectly good story. 😭 Honestly I could go on about those films for ages.

As for books, Esther Greenwood in The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (considered a roman-à-clef) was originally quite an unlikable character. She seemed very judgemental and superficial, but as the story progresses, I developed a more empathetic and sympathetic view of her mental struggles, which certainly didn't change her personality, but definitely softened how unlikable she initially was. I wouldn't consider her a "least favourite" character in fiction, but I did think she was an interesting character!

Onion from Steven Universe. Most of the characters in Steven Universe were redeemed at some point, but onion was consistently awful and destructive to everyone around him. Steven was nothing but kind to him and he was still a jerk to him.

Everyone in Avatar the Last Airbender, Hank Hill, Cotton Hill, and everyone in the LotR series.

Back