• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is it manageable playing two (big) story-based games at the same time?

Matt0106

Dawn of a New Day
Bells
Switch
2774-4281-4324
Yellow Crescent Moon
Blue Crescent Moon
International Space Cetacean Star Fragment
Blue Crescent Moon
Yellow Crescent Moon
White Star Fragment
Yellow Star Fragment
Shooting Star
Yellow Star Fragment
White Star Fragment
This is a weird question, but I recently got Shin Megami Tensei V and I'm very excited to play, but I will also be playing Dragon Quest 11 S after ditching it early on in the story. Very excited for both; the only thing is I'm hoping it will be easy to bounce back and forth between the two (my summer is limited so I would rather not have one collecting dust, since I already have a big backlog).

Therefore, I just wanted to know if this is something most players do? Obviously I bounce between regular online/multiplayer games, but I feel as though it takes more focus to do this with story games and more effort to not gravitate towards one and ditch the other. Just figured the light-heartedness of DQ11 would help balance the more sinister SMT:V :)

Definitely not, I would finish one before starting the other. Trying to tackle two behemoths like that at once, you might find yourself getting burnt out instead of enjoying the games. When I played Persona 5, I dedicated my time to just that game and it took me over 90-100 hours to beat when I took my time. Though even just doing that game I felt burnt out because I just wanted it to be over at some point. It's your choice though, I just think it might be better to only do one at a time.

For what it's worth, Shin Megami Tensei V is considered to be pretty minimalist in the story department. There's disagreement among the fans regarding the quality of what is there. Some people like what's there and see it as sufficient, others don't. There's been talk of there being some development hell, so some things might not have made the cut and whatnot. It's more in line with Nocturne than IV or other SMT games. Not to dissuade you from playing; it's quite fun in the gameplay department, but just know that it's a bit sparse in story.

As such, I'd say that if you really want to play two games at once, it might work in this case. Granted, I'm someone who only plays one game at a time so this is just guessing.

I know some people can but I personally can't. I'll get confused as to what happened in which game. But honestly if you can handle it then why not!

Well I'm not sure what a game with a long storyline would be defined as, I have switched back and forth between games with storylines that take 15-25 hours to beat the game
I don't really think I've played games with really big storylines that take over 50 hours to complete
like others are saying that sounds like burnout and confusing switching back and forth between games if they are that long
I know you have limited time but games are suppose to be fun to enjoy it's not about a rush to hurry and complete your gaming backlog, I would pick one game to start with and you can enjoy the other later

Given that I've had to put SMT V on the backburner for awhile, I'd say definitely not, lol. Play and finish one before doing the other. I don't even remember a ton of what has happened so far other than the main cutscenes in SMT V.

Should add that while SMT V is sparse in story, there is a LOT of grinding, so it'll still end up taking awhile to get through. I haven't played the DQ series, but from hearing about it from others, these are two games specifically you should NOT play at the same time. You will get confused on events and get burned out on one or the other as well. But that's just my two cents.

I do that often, but usually it's me playing one game and watching a playthru of other (my wallet doesn't want to contribute to my game backlog, sniff sniff). I prefer to play just one at a time to get more invested on the story tho.

I actually balanced playing both SMT IV & AITSF (like actually playing, no playthrus) not long ago and it went well. I think as long as you play both games often and they have a pretty different story/aes, you wont mix them up. I dunno how SMT V is, but I found IV kinda bare bones on text, it was mostly grinding (compared to what I'm used to play, at least), so I think it will be ok. But it all depends on you

I do that often, but usually it's me playing one game and watching a playthru of other (my wallet doesn't want to contribute to my game backlog, sniff sniff). I prefer to play just one at a time to get more invested on the story tho.

I actually balanced playing both SMT IV & AITSF (like actually playing, no playthrus) not long ago and it went well. I think as long as you play both games often and they have a pretty different story/aes, you wont mix them up. I dunno how SMT V is, but I found IV kinda bare bones on text, it was mostly grinding (compared to what I'm used to play, at least), so I think it will be ok. But it all depends on you
Yeah given what other commenters said, I will definitely be wary. The problem is I don't know which I want to play more, so I think I'll start off playing both and if I can easily manage and play both evenly, it should be fine! However if I find that there's a game I clearly prefer playing more over the other, I'll put the other one on hold.

Personally, I have a very difficult time keeping up with two big storylines at once. What usually end up happening is I get uninterested in both. Starting two large games at once just makes them both feel less significant. The plot lines blur. I start thinking where I should search for all the shrines and at the same time thinking how I can build my power armor. Non of that happened. I was very disappointed. I started running all over the waste land looking for outposts to liberate. Then later during that same day I'd be scavenging the natives in the Himalayas wondering where my Luck triat is.

Anyways, If you are used to playing many large games at once then so be it, win them all. But for me, I need to focus on one game to achieve every goal and finish every mission, and yet still remember my characters back-story!

I would go nuts if I didn’t switch back and forth between several games at a time. My attention span is so bad that I get bored if I stay on one game for too long. The only exception is when I play a visual novel that has a particularly compelling story. The majority of the games I play are adventure games and JRPGs, so it usually takes me months to finish anything.

I do the same for other entertainment too. I read 5-7 books at a time and 7-12 TV shows at a time. Somehow I’m able to keep track of all the narratives without mixing them up. I think it’s a skill I’ve developed from doing this for so long.

Man, very rarely do I tend to do that for big games. I try to play story heavy games one at a time (like when I was playing Persona 5, I stuck with that game until I finally beat it and moved on to another game). But for games like, Cuphead, I can play it and other games without much issue since it's not so story heavy

I typically only play one “big game” at a time. I just find it easier to focus on that one game. I might jump back and forth between one big game and a smaller game. For example, I was playing the Pokémon Brilliant Diamond story alongside Madden 22. These two games being on two different systems makes it easier, as well. I don’t think a Pokémon game is what people are thinking when they’re talking big games, but you get the point.

It is up to you. Personally I don't switch between big games. But I'll switch between a big game and a small game. If you have a large enough back log, you could probably knock out a couple of smaller games while you play a big game if you don't like focusing on just one game at a time.

Back