• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Is auto-voiding unfair?

I run a cycling town. To me it's honestly about the popularity and my own wants/needs.

For example, my sister wants Chrissy, and I'm not looking for any other villagers for my town.
I don't really care about earning money from the cycling town, since in the end, it was for myself, my sister, and some friends.

So, I auto-void villagers I don't need since cycling can go by much faster. If I happen to get a Tier 3+ villager in boxes, I'll post about it, then auto-void if no one is interested in buying. Then I resume cycling.

So in my case, it's more of a selfish thing since I don't care too much about the money, but I care enough that people are looking for certain popular villagers and I might as well gain something from that.
Also, I set Tier 5 and 6 villagers on my thread to free, so having to wait and delay my own progress doesn't get me anything if I advertise lower-tiered villagers.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I also browse the big "Looking for and Buying" thread, and if I see someone wanting a villager that I currently have, I'll send them a PM. Otherwise, I cycle away!

As long as you know that no one is lurking for that villager or that no one would want them I think it's fine. I just auto voided Alli because I already knew no one was going to adopt her.

I mean think of it as like a business kind of, why would I waste my time with a zillion villagers who maybe 1 or 2 people are actually looking for when I can speed through villagers and get to the ones that are very sought after and I can sell quickly and for a good price?

however, this is a fun game and I'm not just trying to curb the market on TBT (if I did I would not release my list of villagers and only sell the high tiered ones)... and I too have favorite villagers who are low tiered. I allow lurking for these really low-tiered villagers for free, and they can reserve should they move into town so I do like to give the chance to get dreamies for free.

However... what I am not gonna do is prowl the LF thread and memorize all the obscure dreamies everyone has... Like if you want a low-tiered hard to find villager then you better be on every cycling thread and posting constantly on the LF thread, but unfortunately everyone just posts once in a while and then gets bitter every time their villager gets voided. So yeah I go through villagers extremely quickly, but I offer so much opportunity for lurking and to let me know ahead of time who you are looking for, not to mention have experience and general knowledge of who is still kinda popular or being looked for.... however because cycling towns take up a lot of effort already, I am not going to hound you about someone in my town.... you should be doing more of that work on your own! especially when I take reservations and the person doesn't come back for 4 days

sorry if this sounds harsh, but i work hard for my villagers when I need them and usually get them within days no matter the tier. When I wanted Vic a long time ago, I posted alllllllll the time and within a few days all the cyclers knew it and were helping me out if he appeared anywhere (and I do the same thing when I see similar situations, but rarely do), more and more people expect their dreamies to fall into their laps

I dont think its necessarily unfair, but it just means that if you want a villager thats not popular, you will have to work harder, lurking on cycle threads, etc. to get them. When i cycled i always looked at the looking for thread before deleting and a few others do too so it always is worth it to make your preference known there.

You could offer cyclers TBT to make them want to hold on to lower tier villagers for you.

I had to auto-void Lucky earlier to adopt a dreamie to hold in my cycle town and still adopt a villager for a friend tomorrow. Ultimately it is up to the person cycling. They have wanted or needed villagers too. I won't be offering any villagers on the forum until I have all of my dreamies for my main town and those I know in real life have the villagers they have asked me for.

I think it's fine, if people really want those villagers i'm sure they'd lurk for them or keep an eye on the thread. Fair enough if the person wasn't online to claim that villager but it's really up to the cycler whether to wait for that person to come online or not to PM or VM them about a tier 5/6 if they haven't already lurked, it can waste a decent amount of time especially if that person isn't online or doesn't respond to their PMS or VMS. I think it's a more efficient way of getting things done especially as some cyclers have people reserving in their thread for days and hours at a time waiting for a specific villager in town, and I think their patience would begin to run out having a cycler hold a tier 5/6 that nobody may be seeking at the moment. Yes some 5/6 villagers have a decent following and maybe shouldn't be voided and should be left up for a little longer, but I do think sometimes you need to think about users who have reserved or lurked and put them first otherwise it wouldn't be fair on them.

Although when I do manage to move villagers out, - especially 5/6 tiers I always make sure to look in the looking for thread in case anybody wants them. Like toadsworthy said, if you post a lot about a specific 5/6 tier that you want on the cycling threads people are bound to catch on and help you out. I think it comes down to determination and how badly you want a villager really!

Last edited:
People don't owe anyone to keep a villager until someone shows interest within a week maybe and lose out on villagers that could actually make them money within that week. Tier 5 & 6 aren't rare, every villager has the same probability to show up and there are more Tier 5 & 6 so you are more likely to get them.

nah cyclers can do whatever they want. it's a lot easier to sell high tier villagers than it is to sell rly unpopular ones. it does make it a lot harder to find unpopular villagers to adopt (ik, i have an all frog town and it was hell to find all the villagers )x) but i mean... it's stil up to the cycler.

I don't think so. I understand they are trying to be fast to get the more popular villagers out. Most people don't want the lower villagers unfortunately. It's mostly a waste of time to wait. All of my faves are in tier 6 I think. I've had so many times where I asked for a villager and they had just voided them. It's super hard to get my faves usually. The people that wait are a blessing. Now when people are selling a villager and void them because they couldn't get a high enough offer, that's messed up.

Last edited:
I understand is better for people to just void them to get the popular and more requested ones faster.
I usually try to create a thread no matter how unpopular the villager is; you never know if someone is looking for that villager but can't find because people auto-void them always.
I usually wait around 5-8h and then void it.

For example, I created even a thread for Limberg haha
He wasn't adopted tho :/

Last edited:
When I had a cycling town, it was mainly about finding the villagers that I wanted & that my family & friends wanted for their towns. The other villagers were only posted so that other people could possibly find a dreamie of their own. After the umpteenth villager gets voided with no takers, auto voiding starts to look really good. It speeds up the process & keeps things moving.

If people want a villager, they need to put the work in to get them. Post on the LF thread, lurk on the cycling threads, & put in the same amount of time that cyclers put in. Don't just expect lower tiered villagers to just fall into your lap.

I give almost every villager a chance. If I believe they'll be adopted, I won't auto-void them. But if I feel like no one is going to want a specific villager, I'm just going to move onto the next villager.

it can be
yes
but if its like a tier 6 and no one wants them
its kinda pointless sitting there waiting for someone to hit

it's fair if no-one has shown interest for the villager. why waste your time holding a villager for x amount of minutes if no-one's going to claim the villager.

It's entirely up to the cycler. I think it's unfair to say the owner of the village should keep a villager they don't want just because someone else might want it. I don't think it's unfair for a cycler to void even popular villagers if they're looking for very specific villagers. The owner of the village is the only one that decision belongs to.

do you know how sad it is when having at least 4 dreamies in tiers 4/5 and to go and find a cycling thread that almost always has already voided them ; - ; I've found threads that don't even hold lower tiers for very long and that's sad.

I used to list all tier 1-4s for at least a short window. There are so many cyclers now and the game is getting so old that I sometimes av tier 2s. Who I choose to list is about 75% dependent on if someone has posted for them in the looking for thread in the past week. Like Toads said, if someone is looking for an av I think they should be putting in a lil extra work to get them.

Back