• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

I'm considering showing my mom this game

I would just like to add that on the 3ds xl, both screens appear to be larger than the iphone screen, and both screens together are nearly the size of an ipad mini. Not sure if that's helpful, but, I think the take away is that the 3ds is much easier to read from than its predecessors and comparable to apple products.

As for the game itself, you know your mom best. If she's more into collecting, go for New Leaf. If she's more in to the decorating, maybe go for Happy Home Designer. Or just let her try both, I guess?

Hmm, I feel like the iphone 6s plus has a larger screen than the DS. I do know that shes happy with that size though so I reckon it should be fine.

I think what I'm going to do is buy her her own copy of new leaf and let her have my Happy home xD

@Akibear - my mom isnt into video games either but shes plays a lot of iPad games though (all very relaxed and either to do with decorating or collecting). I play some of them with her but ACNL has more player interaction than the ipad games.

@m3ow_ - if you happen to remember, could you let me know? :D

I don't think we're allowed to talk about emulators on here.

You should show it to your mother, she might like it. There are plenty of adult women (including myself) on here and I know there are members who are even older than I am and have children but enjoy it. Wasn't there someone here who was a grandmother, even?

The screen being too small is more specific to your mother. You could let her try out your game on the 3DS you have and see if she likes it before thinking of buying something with a larger screen. That depends on your mother so she's the best person to ask this.

I don't think we're allowed to talk about emulators on here.

You should show it to your mother, she might like it. There are plenty of adult women (including myself) on here and I know there are members who are even older than I am and have children but enjoy it. Wasn't there someone here who was a grandmother, even?

The screen being too small is more specific to your mother. You could let her try out your game on the 3DS you have and see if she likes it before thinking of buying something with a larger screen. That depends on your mother so she's the best person to ask this.

Ahh, my apologies. Im thinking of going with the actual game though, so no more emulator talk!

I've decided to let her try out the game on my boyfriends N3ds XL and see how that goes. If she likes it, then I shall sneakily by a console for her and gift it to her. If not, then at least I'm only out 40$ for the game xD

I just started playing NL, and I've never played AC before. I'm 26 years old, with a two year old daughter. My partner is 40 years old, and he played my game for a while before I finally played it (I had it for months). He liked it a lot and wants his own 3DS/game so he can play it, too. I don't think age is an issue. I love collecting and decorating, but a lot of what makes the game for me (so far) is interacting with villagers. That could just be me, though.

As for the screen size, I personally don't find it too small at all. I'm commenting on this specifically because I have some vision problems myself and have found a lot of the signature images on here REALLY hard to read because of small size (I've had this problem in the past, too, but that's a recent example), but the game is no problem for me. I've also never had a problem with any other handheld console games (like Pokemon, etc.) I think it may be because how close/far away the screen is - I have trouble seeing the farther away something is. Unless she has vision problems, it may just take some adjusting if she dislikes the screen size. If she has trouble seeing, though, that's a different issue, and it depends on what the problem is. I know my father has problems seeing games on handheld consoles, which is why he has never played them.

Hope she likes it!

Last edited:
My mom plays it on a legacy small 3DS (my old system; shoulder buttons are shot and there's some small cosmetic cracks), and her eyesight's crap but as long as she has a pair (or two) of glasses and her pen she's fine.

Show it to her. What phone does she use? The 3DS XL is kinda the same size as large smart phone screen? The controls of this game are simple to. Im sure she will enjoy this game.

It should be no problem, I mean games have no age limit to how old you are or when you should stop! If it's a good game and you think she will like then try it, she will probably get used to the screen if she plays for awhile xD

i know my Mother would not play. she doesnt even hardly like animals.
i think its awesome how many people 30+ play this series though.

Show it to her. What phone does she use? The 3DS XL is kinda the same size as large smart phone screen? The controls of this game are simple to. Im sure she will enjoy this game.

She uses the iPhone 6s Plus. I think the N3ds XL screen is only slightly smaller so im hoping the size wont be an issue. I think it'll ultimately come down to whether or not shes willing to give the game a try. Hopefully, playing with me will be enough to make her like the game xD

Back