• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

If I stop playing, will villagers move out like they did before without me being there to stop them? Or does that not happen in NH?

Nope!

They ask you and only if you tell them to go will they go. I have conflicting feelings about it too.

Like I love it because I never have to worry about my dreamies, but at the same time it feels a little watered down too. If that makes sense, lol. Over all I'm happy they don't move out.

When I was a kid, I think I cried ugly crying when one of my villagers up and left lol

as others have said luckily the villagers stay put in NH :giggle: I took a break for quite a few months and while my villagers were sad that I'd been gone so long they were all fortunately still there, I hated it in the old games when they just left - especially when my beloved Peanut left my WW town 🥺

No it won't happen but one of your villagers will have the move out thought bubble on them so the moment you login you will see who is thinking about moving out and you can choose to move them out or let them stay.

So yeah it does not happen like in past animal crossing games which is a good thing.

Oh yay! Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm gonna retire soon, after I get the aforementioned pics. My heart's just not in it, even with the new Sanrio characters. Maybe after a really awesome update. They need to make this game more like PC! They have the BEST furniture!!

I know most people like this...but, I'm honestly not a fan of it.

If the game did move villagers out while you weren't playing, it would accomplish two things. 1) It would force people to play so that it wouldn't happen to them. (I suspect that the people who have dream villagers like to play every single day anyway). And 2) It would keep the game fresh for people who get burnt out on it. Imagine taking a couple months off...you come back, and half of your villagers are new. It would definitely be a nice change of pace.

If the game did move villagers out while you weren't playing, it would accomplish two things. 1) It would force people to play so that it wouldn't happen to them. (I suspect that the people who have dream villagers like to play every single day anyway). And 2) It would keep the game fresh for people who get burnt out on it. Imagine taking a couple months off...you come back, and half of your villagers are new. It would definitely be a nice change of pace.
With due respect I see where you're coming from but here was the issue for how it was in the old games. Whenever you come back after not playing for so long the game just picks whatever villager to move out by random so it could be your favorite villager of all time. At the time its like they left without even saying a word. You got a letter and sure it was kinda nice to see them at least write to you so they didn't just like leave or say anything but still it would not be great if it was your favorite villager.

With New Horizons I do like the change where you have the option to tell which villager who is thinking about moving out. Think of this way. Suppose if you have that one villager you really dislike and you want them to move out. If it played like the old games where it would just pick any random villager to move out it would get annoying fast. With the new one you have the option of picking which villagers are thinking of moving out. You can tell them to say if it was your favorite but If you really want them to go then you can let them go.

For me I always tend to let villagers go after I have their photos obtained and then I let someone else come and live on the island. Get their photo and then of course let them leave. Thats how I keep the villagers refreshing on my island.

For me, the problem is not everyone has the luxury of being able to play all the time. And while I could see how it could keep things fresh, I would personally be sad if my favs like Elmer and Papi just got up and left.

People shouldn't be forced to play a game everyday. I do play daily because I'm not tired of it, but for those who are, I feel like they would view it as more of a punishment, which would probably just make them distance themselves from the game even further. I don't think it would be fair. Also it allows those who TT to go back and froth as far as they please, and never have to fret about going back to the current date and then missing someone.

I would also like to be able to come back years after I'm done playing this game, and see the same villagers I had when I left. It's not the same when you return from a long hiatus and it's a bunch of strangers.
Post automatically merged:

If it played like the old games where it would just pick any random villager to move out it would get annoying fast. With the new one you have the option of picking which villagers are thinking of moving out. You can tell them to say if it was your favorite but If you really want them to go then you can let them go.
This too! I love the fact that now if it's a villager who I want to have stay, I could simply ignore them, and wait to see if the bubble transfers to another villager the next day. It's genuinely so useful (for me at least, given that I don't TT) :)

I don't... I don't get why you'd want a game to force you to play. I play when I want to play, and don't when I don't. I HATE games where I feel obligated to play regularly. It's a game, not a job. I'm supposed to play it for fun and not because I need to.

It isn't that hard to move villagers out. If you take a long break and come back, no one will have moved, but there's a good chance someone will be thinking of it. If not, you can easily TT someone out (even if you don't make a habit of TTing, it's still always an option). Also, unlike ACNL, if you tell a villager they can move... they will. No one will be like, "Wait, you WON'T miss me? THEN NEVERMIND I'M STAYING" which was SO annoying.

Honestly, I feel like this is one of the best changes Nintendo made in this game. I like having control over who comes and goes, especially since I sometimes TT, and it just means I can relax and enjoy the game with no worries.

In a world where I didnt have his amiibo, if I went on the game and Tybalt had moved out while I was gone, I would probably stop playing.

Maybe its fun and exciting when you have no strong attachments, but when you do, it's a very big deal.

Also, while people who spent a long time hunting dreamies are more likely to want to play each day, I don't think its right for them to be held hostage by the game out of fear of losing all their hard work.

So I get where you are coming from, but no :p

I'm not a fan of it because it removes a lot of the life-sim aspect that drew me to the series in the first place.

Like, I don't think the intention with the earlier games was ever to have villagers staying in your town indefinitely because it was meant to mimic how people come and go in real life and you just have to make the most of the time you have with them. Sure, it was always bittersweet when your fav moved out suddenly, but it made them feel more real to me when they had some semblance of autonomy. The fact that you have to either boot them out or -allow- them to leave now just makes them feel more like dolls than anything. They don't even write you goodbye letters anymore :cautious:

I'm so happy they did this in Horizons. In New Leaf I had a villager randomly move out, and the new villager plopped their house in the worst spot ever.
It ruined my park. Hybrids gone that I had worked so hard to get, and half of the park bench was right behind their house. It looked aweful. I had to pay bells to destroy the bench and two street lamps. Plus, I wasn't time traveling, so it took a few days to fix. It was Molly who caused me so much stress. Lol.

Keaton plopped his house in front of my bridge. I tried moving the bridge, but Isabelle wouldn't let me put it ANYWHERE. It's too close to Keaton's house she said. This was frustrating because the game put his house in front of it, but wouldn't let me place it just a bit farther away from it. Goofy.

I haven't had too many stressful moments in Horizons like I did in New leaf. The only time I've been stressed in Horizons is when I'm trying to get all the seasonal recipes from balloons.

It's great that they don't move out. That way for those who time travel and make clock-setting mistakes, you don't have to worry about losing all your villagers because of accidentally setting the wrong year.

I'm so happy they did this in Horizons. In New Leaf I had a villager randomly move out, and the new villager plopped their house in the worst spot ever.
It ruined my park. Hybrids gone that I had worked so hard to get, and half of the park bench was right behind their house. It looked aweful. I had to pay bells to destroy the bench and two street lamps. Plus, I wasn't time traveling, so it took a few days to fix. It was Molly who caused me so much stress. Lol.

Keaton plopped his house in front of my bridge. I tried moving the bridge, but Isabelle wouldn't let me put it ANYWHERE. It's too close to Keaton's house she said. This was frustrating because the game put his house in front of it, but wouldn't let me place it just a bit farther away from it. Goofy.

I haven't had too many stressful moments in Horizons like I did in New leaf. The only time I've been stressed in Horizons is when I'm trying to get all the seasonal recipes from balloons.
I had an issue with Keaton as well. He completely ruined a section of my bamboo forest, and the worst part was that he never ended up leaving before I deleted the town. Quite infuriating 😂 I literally forget about those issues in New Horizons just because they don't happen at all. Nintendo made a good move changing that.

Back