August Birthstone (Peridot)
20 Envelopes
Small Mailbox
Mailbox
3 Envelopes
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Feedback
96% (23) +
can anyone please give me some tips for starting an NL item shop in the TBT marketplace? I tried starting one before but was unsuccessful. does anyone have some tips for me?

Last edited:

I think this is in the wrong thread but I will help you out :)

first things first, you need a good layout some people would comeback to you just because of that! I can help you get a cute layout or whatever suits your taste. Just send me a message!

Second, the prices. You need to be reasonable with how much you sell for and look at other shops for an ideal price of how much to sell that item, you also need to be specific on what you sell you can't just say
"Dresses: 5tbt"
Instead you should so something like;
"Milk maid dress for 5tbt"
Be nice with your customers, and take days off. Don't let your shop ruin your fun on the game itself :)

Last edited:
I don't have a shop, but as a customer, I can offer this: Be nice and don't ignore anyone! Even if it's just someone asking a question. Don't be snappy. This is important for repeat customers! >o<
To make sure things go smoothly, set up a routine for people who want to buy something, like "Message - add - open gate - end - rate". On the rare occasion that I do sell a lot of things or have giveaways, it's really easy to get muddled. My past forum was less complicated, and even then it's easy to get lost.
Communication is key! c:

I run a signature shop, which is a bit different but here are my tips ^.^

1. Appearance - Especially key when selling graphics, but still important when selling anything. You want it to be clean, easy to follow, and colors that are easy to read. You don't need fancy graphics for this, just a solid color scheme and a main banner
2. Friendliness - CANNOT emphasize enough ^.^ treat everyone as if they are your favorite customer. Everyone wants to feel special, and they're paying you, so they're always special! You can make great friends this way, and helps with people coming back and reviewing you well
3. Speed - Get things done quickly and people will appreciate it ^.^ You never want to be that shopkeeper whose visitor messages and inbox are full of people going "hey...did you forget about me?"
4. Organization - I keep a waiting list on my thread and a word document with the orders so I know I not only have everything I need, but I'm doing it in order. Also, make things like when you expect payment and whose town the trades will take place in very clear up front
5. Fairness - Fair prices are super important. You don't have to massively undervalue yourself, but you should be competitive
6. Specificity - Don't try and do 100 things half right. Stick to something you're comfortable with (like only catalog items, or non-reorderables, or gardening) until you are comfortable and SURE you can take on more
7. Be kind to yourself - close your shop when you need to. You don't need 100% market share. You don't need to always be open. If you're stressed, or busy - be stressed or busy. Come back when you want to do it ^.^

I hope this makes sense/helps

Last edited:
I don't have any advice about layout or rules, but as a fairly frequent customer, I have a HUGE pet peeve, and it's about the ease of reading.

So many people use colours that are pretty but are darned near invisible, thus impossible to read. I do not want to have to highlight every single line in blue just so I can read it. In regular discussion I skip those posts because the pale yellow, lavender, and such are just too hard to read and not worth the trouble to me of highlighting.

So please, I beg of you as someone who likes to be able to read what you have to say and sell easily - use a colour that is dark enough and large enough to show. Every time I see a shop and the graphics are small and "invisible" I just have to move on. I know my age and eye trouble doesn't help, but I think everybody would appreciate a nice crisp, clean, and easy to read size and colour.

That said, good luck! :)

Back