• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.

I Literally Can't Play This Game Anymore lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hey look, it didn't take long for this thread to derail into 'angry defenders against angry bashers' You don't see me coming into threads about 'NH appreciation' trying to start stuff. You don't like reading the OP's thread? Simple, don't go into the topic. You said the same thing to OP. Don't play the game. Follow your own words and don't engage in the thread.

I get it. This game is 'the best' and 'the worst' depending on what side of the fence you look at. As far as a designing simulator goes, this one is the best of the best. If designing is not your cup of tea, than you're not really going to be able to enjoy or utilize the game to its fullest potential because many other parts of the game were placed on the backburner. I liked the other aspects from the other games, so to me NH really doesn't fill that part as much as the other games. The paid dlc is pretty much a designer + package.

With that said, the update definitely brought life for the game to me. To much was missing that they thankfully brought back or made new. And I have enjoyed it for what it is. The only thing I would like would be multiplayer games and the such. Going online with my friends to play the mini-games was the most memorable part.

We're all entitled to our opinions, at the end of the day, but let's try to keep our behavior in check? The world can be a pretty crappy place, but we're not making it any better by being rude and petty to others. Let's try to bring some positivity to this closeknit community and respect each others opinions. You don't have to agree with them and that is fine, but be better than that.

honestly, while i get how tiring it is seeing things turn into “angry defenders vs angry bashers,” it’s easy to get riled up because there is no end to complaints about NH. there are multiple complaint threads, one with over 300 pages and six thousand replies. it’s easy to see someone making yet another thread about how NH didn’t vibe with them and sigh over it, because it’s a case of “ah, here we go again.” that said, I’ll try to be civil.

People here probably already know I love New Horizons, but since I'm a foolish newcomer to the series, I can't truly comprehend the awesomeness of the older games on the series! I personally find very silly (and tbqh, I previously find it irritating and absurd lol) when people say this game lacks charm and soul or whatever little word they use to describe that "magical" feeling and try to pass that as an objective and definitive statement about the game.

The game oozes charm and coziness at every step, the dialogue is nowhere near as bad as people whine every 2 seconds (it's actually very nice), it has lots of unique things going for each resident such as their activities...

as someone whose favourite AC game IS Population Growing for admitted nostalgia reasons, I’ve never understood the idea that you HAVE to be a new fan to enjoy NH a lot because I agree with your entire post re: charm. I think NH has plenty of it and has been the closest to the joy being 8 and playing PG the series has ever felt for me since. there are so many small details to it from the way your villagers bundle up for winter to the daily stretches (which were my #1 favourite thing to do in PG and something I used to time travel to summer to do, adding to the replicated charm factor now that they’re in NH)...

in OP’s case, I think honestly the game just lacks charm and spirit to them because it’s not PG and that’s that. just about every post OP has made in this board I’ve seen has been a complaint it’s not PG or anything like PG and PG did things differently — and while it’s not a crime to prefer a different game, if you set your expectations a certain way, they’re bound to be too high for what you’re going into no matter what you experience. PG came out 20 years ago. AC went from being a series so niche the JPN team hadn’t planned on localising it to one of Nintendo’s biggest IPs; of course it’s going to turn into something else, which lacks charm for you. that’s fine. that doesn’t mean it lacks charm entirely.

I'm really surprised at the amount of complaints about the dialogue in NH. I definitely feel like they've added more since the last update because I'm still discovering new lines everytime I play.

no but like me too I’m SO surprised to see dialogue complaints still because villagers have a LOT more to say now if you talk to them a little bit. they even have some species-specific lines because someone in another thread pointed out something squirrels say about their tails & I’ve seen Fang make cracks about howling at the moon. NH, at least now with 2.0, has a lot more dialogue than we all give it credit for.

Last edited:
Have you asked yourself "what if the problem isn't the game, but myself?".

See, I would assume that you played ACGC back when you were a little kid. People change over time. Lots of things change over time, but above all else, we change. Nostalgia is a thing, but consider this: do you think you would fall in love with ACGC today if you had the opportunity to experience it for the first time again? I honestly think you wouldn't.

It's a lot easier for us to be unable to disconnect from these feelings of nostalgia, and we also create fake memories of how things were in the past (and that's why you'll see lots of people saying something like "this isn't as good as I remembered" when they interact with that "thing" from the past. And, as we get older, I feel like we find it progressively more difficult to like newer things, especially newer iterations of things we liked in the past (either because there was a drop in quality, the target audience changed and you're not a part of it anymore, or like, you simply doesn't like that thing anymore/as much as you did in the past).

It’s totally fine to not like the game but why make so many threads about it? Just don’t play it. I don’t join lawn mowing forums to specifically tell them how much better the lawn at my old house was and how much I hate mowing my current lawn. Im totally within my right to hate my lawn but like I don’t expect anyone else to care? Especially on a forum of lawn mowing enthusiasts? I don’t get it lol

OP I get you. I like New Horizons, it’s a good game but imo it’s not a good animal crossing game.
I don’t think I’m speaking from a nostalgic place as I play the games daily. (The bare minimum at least once a week and that’s mostly for City Folk, the others get more time) I didn’t manage to track down a copy of the GameCube game till I was an adult so I have no childhood nostalgia for it. I play it and the other titles because for me they hit differently to ACNH. I feel you get the most out of ACNH if you love decorating as that’s where the focus is. I have to be in the mood for decorating and most of the time I don’t enjoy it, my island is finished and there’s a part of me like “Now what?”

The graphics in NH are gorgeous but I value gameplay over graphics. I love that in the older games you had to build a relationship with the villagers and it took time. I love that they had to warm up to you. Now every villager is your bff from the first interaction and you are treated like a God. I like that the villagers in the previous titles gave you things to do. I love the hobby system in Wild World where villagers interests change. I like my villagers asking for decor ideas and new furniture and I love that they ping me to talk to me a lot. In new horizons I get pinged about once a week and it’s usually just to give me a pair of sunglasses or socks. One time I played for five hours straight and not once did my villagers talk to me or each other. It made my game feel soulless. It’s really cute how the villagers can now run, sit, read etc. They look beautiful but they feel shallow.

True, villagers in the old games don’t do as many cute things but they have way more personality. Rosie and Tangy in my NH game are different in appearance but identical. They both tell me daily they can’t wait to be pop stars. Lazies are obsessed with bugs and snooties and crankies are adorable From day one. Tangy in my GameCube AC game has a much more interesting personality and I feel a connection with her.

Lots of people love ACNH and that’s great, we are all different.

You don't like reading the OP's thread? Simple, don't go into the topic.

This site is relatively slow for some of us who have nothing to do after school / work / on weekends / etc. except scroll and play video games.
There doesn't need to be 47 topics about how much people do not like this game.

No, people do not have to interact with these threads, but when it keeps getting pushed up and up and up, amongst other threads consisting of the same exact content, as if they expect the people here not only to commiserate but somehow change things for them or something ... ??? ...

It sure does get old fast, lol.

I actually found myself agreeing with both sides of this "argument". I used to post rants all the time but now I lurk more because I feel like everything's already been said a long time ago and there are a lot of threads about the same things on here. Also I feel bad bashing the game when in fact I do enjoy it and it's my favourite of the series. To be clear my negative feelings don't come from me disliking the game at all but from thinking it's such a shame that they could have made a great game almost perfect by leaving in older features that lots of people enjoyed. I do understand the need to vent about these things but I also understand the people who come across these threads constantly and are tired of them and think it's unfair to the developers. Discussion is good but I'm thinking maybe to avoid drama (this kind of thing has happened several times before) we should just leave our opinion and not say anything negative about people complaining too much or praising too much or whatever. That's what gets people heated imo.

Yeah I feel like the pacing and just all this stuff that this game has going on has become like all over the place. Its like it wants you to take your time but then its like you wanna keep going because you want to get all the new items. I am sometimes in conflict with myself like "Do I keep on going getting the items?" or "Should I just take my time?" I prefer to take my time and not overwhelm myself with the game. If I feel I am starting to get bored of the game, I just play other games to kill them and then I come back the next day refreshed and I can still enjoy my time.

To this day I have mixed feelings on the game. I do not hate the game, I actually do like it when it does click with me again, but other times it does things that can really make you feel like you're stressing yourself out and other stuff that just makes you wanna not play, but I've learned that when that happens its best to take a break from the game and come back with a refreshed mindset.

I feel you. Sometimes you do indeed need to just take a step back and in doing so, things tend to regulate themselves. A lot of this has to do with dopamine and how dopamine works in our brain according to what and how we're engaging with certain things.

I still find enjoyment with the game, but I’ll admit that a lot of my fun and “story” only exists because I create it for myself.

Having more charm and character is definitely my biggest wish for the next installment! I think lots of us were hoping for more villager dialogue and interaction from this game, and it just went the opposite direction. It was clear pretty much from the first announcement video that the focus would be on crafting / customization instead, and while disappointing, I kind of saw this “emptiness” coming. Here’s hoping that’ll change again in the future!

Amen!

I don’t think NH is a bad game because I’ve played it so much and I can’t deny I had fun, but I feel some of your concerns. It doesn’t have the same feel as previous games(I’m mostly thinking about WW, for example). Honestly I believe that the core problem is the fact that new generations are mostly interested in “pretty games” rather than “deep games”. I’ve witnessed this in every single game that was part of my childhood(I’m a 97 kid 😊) and I don’t think there is a coming back. It’s sad but probably 80’s kids must have thought the same things about the newer games that I still think are amazing.

I know exactly what you mean. And haha that may be true actually. But I also still feel that there may be a little more to it than that. I know there are people of the newer generation that recognize the older games and cling to them as well. Also, there have been some pretty amazing games that have come out despite the new appeal to the newer generation of people who have different values. I haven't finished it yet but Zelda BOTW is epic and kind of a good example. I feel that there will still be epic games coming out in the future with Spirit and true overall quality as well. We just might have to do some digging to amass those games in quantity where in the 80's, 90's and 2000's those games were abundant and nothing less was expected.

I wouldn't count on the "spirit and soul" ever being brought back to the series. They had to get rid of Resetti, you think they'll bring back villager dialogue like the old days? Nope. People are way too sensitive now. And don't get me started on how they ruined the peppy personality...I can barely stand having one on my island. -_-

The only direction they have to go with developing the game is to bolster the design and collecting features. Everything else will likely just be hollow compared to the first few games. >_<

I said this before and I'll say it again. NEVERR SAY NEVARRRR "Justin Bieber voice*

lol nah but in all seriousness, yeah it's true that a lot of the newer generation prioritize things that are less healthy and can also be very demanding and cause uproar in their beliefs and demands using social media etc, but we have to have faith. Truth matters, and it always prevails. Without faith in Truth prevailing, we lose ourselves. I get where you're coming from, but we have to maintain Faith, even if things get ugly; in fact, especially when things get ugly.

I mostly agree with you. I’m really enjoying this game for what it is now that they added so much content with the update, but the soul is gone. I’ve always gotten super attached to my villagers (in my New Leaf town, 5 of my 10 final villagers had been there from the beginning, a streak of more than five years) but I just can’t seem to click with anybody in the same way here. I still LIKE my villagers, but I don’t LOVE them, you know? All my franchise favorites are still villagers I had in WW or NL, back when they felt alive. I enjoy the customization, but I didn’t want the villagers to just be empty dolls.

I know exactly what you mean. I was trying to keep the Spirit alive by getting Tom, Wolf Gang, Jay, either Mint or Peanut and maybe Butch all on my Island just so that at least I could somewhat maintain that soul and spirit since I already built connections with those villagers in Population Growing lol. But yeah even in doing so I don't think it's really gonna make much of a difference in the overall feel of the game.

I think the idea of charm and soul are subjective. When I play New Horizons, I feel like it is overflowing with charm and it feels like the most lively game in the series to me.

I respect that other people feel differently and am not looking to debate or trying to change anybody's mind. I just thought I'd add that my experience and interpretation of the game has been quite a bit different than what has been mentioned so far.

That's fair. You feel how you feel.
Even though I only started playing with New Leaf, I understand what people mean by the charm or the spirit of the game. I feel like New Horizons has lost some of its weirdness in favor of more popular things. Even the new character designs... while I love them, they're all pretty cutesy. Or our characters nose. Or the dialogues. Or the watered down npcs. Or the houses that look straight out of a magazine instead of the colorful fairytale mess they used to be.

Animal Crossing always seemed to me to be about living with quirky characters and getting to know and befriend them while we fish and hunt bugs. Now it's like Calico Critters where everyone is cute and nice and we just decorate (while they mostly ignore what we build.)

I still love the game and even if bland at times, I appreciate how beautiful and well done it is. I just wish they had kept more of the personality and offbeat humor that the older games had. They may be silly or unnecessary things, but things like villagers keeping and showing off letters you sent them add to one's connection with the world.

Also hope they go back to using Mayor/Town Hall in the future. Resident Representative and Resident Services are cumbersome.

Exactly. I agree with pretty much everything you said. And yeah there are some things that are new that they added that the other games didn't have. I love when my villagers interact with stuff I put on the Island. That's precious haha. Like Rudy has sat in a chair before, played with the pinball machine that I have and I have these cherry speakers playing K.K. Drivin' next to Piper's house on a table and I saw her near the speakers singing the song once. Stuff like that they got really right and I don't discredit that. I just wish they didn't strip everything else away. They stripped away the core in favor for little quirks and kibbles and bits lol. The kibbles and bits are amazing but the cores are always more important honestly in my view. They def could have done both too.
...Yah, can't say I relate. Like, at all. BUT I know you're not alone, because I feel like I only ever see people complain about the game 😕 I was really hoping this update would help with that given all the excitement about it, but then like, the day after it dropped everyone was back to complaining about what it still lacked. I mean, I love this game, and I joined this forum to share my love of it. But the amount of complaining on here really bums me out.

Anyway... personally, I love ACNH. I loved it since day 1. IMO, it's the best game so far and has improved the previous one DRASTICALLY. The ability to craft and to decorate outside is enough to push it over the edge for me- it's something I've been dreaming of since the first game and now it's finally real. TBH, I tended to get bored faster in previous games. Yes, I could fish and bug hunt and chat with villagers. ANd then I could decorate my house. But... then what? Now I can also craft, cook, decorate my island (I LOVE to decorate seasonally- I'm currently preparing a Turkey Day feast to compliment what Franklin makes!), go island hopping for materials/villagers/furniture/DIYs, design some houses... there's just SO much more content, on top of what I already loved.

I mean, I will agree the vibe of the game has changed a bit. But I think it's changed in a WONDERFUL way. The customization options, the ability to truly express yourself on your island and turn it into the town you've always dreamed of. And if/when your dreams change? You can change it up again! I've been playing since day 1, resetting once the day after release, and I haven't reset since, which is a record to me. I feel more invested in my game than ever because I really love Woodland and all the memories I've made there. Now, I will admit, I feel a bit less clingy and less close to my villagers. But, again, I don't feel like it's in a bad way. I think part of why is because I'm no longer afraid of losing them randomly- they'll be there as long as I want. I can chat with them whenever I feel like, squee about how cute they are whenever I see them, give them new clothes and furniture, make them vacation homes, visit their home/have them visit mine, have coffee with them, etc. but then I can also focus on other pursuits without feeling the need to chat with them if I'm too focused on decorating or crafting or whatever. I love having that freedom, while still having cute villagers (and I certainly love having more control over who's on my island than EVER before!)

So, yah... to sum up... I feel like the vibe of the game has changed, the content and priorities have changed, but I feel it's 100% for the better.
And I'm so, so, so sad to see people continuously complaining about a game I love, calling it the worst of the series, saying how much of a disappointment it is, etc. and basically making me feel dumb for loving it so much. That really wasn't what I expected when I joined this site. And, to be clear- I'm not bashing anyone who's disappointed or dislikes the game. I just sometimes feel out of place when I'm basically sitting here wearing an "I love ACNH" t-shirt and so many other people are basically saying why I shouldn't. I'm not mad or bashing anyone or saying people aren't allowed to complain. I just personally find it sad.

I feel exactly where you're coming from. And I can see why you would absolutely adore New Horizons. It seems you got the DLC, correct me if I'm wrong. I feel that this may be part of the reason why you're able to enjoy it in the whole way that you are. I personally don't have the DLC so maybe that might contribute to why I feel the way I feel this time around. I don't really feel it was right for them to only make the game 100% whole thru a paid DLC and have felt strongly about this type of stuff for a while now. I feel like that's what the advancement of technology has done for game creators/developers etc. There's more capitalization on paid content that once came with the game for free as a complete package. But that's a totally seperate thing so I'll just leave that alone for now lol. But it does kind of still affect this specific game in a large way I feel. Not everybody wants a Nintendo Online membership ya know. And not everybody wants to pay extra for an extra part of the game that honestly was supposed to already be built into the game. But that's just my opinon.

And I feel where you're coming from. But I wouldn't want you to feel that way. No one hates you or is against you because of how you feel about New Horizons. There are just a lot of us that have a distinct connection and resonation with the vibe and energy etc of previous games and wish that those things were retained. I wouldn't be surprised if thousands upon thousands of people were complaining regarding this issue too, but personally, that's not what I'm here to do. I'm just here to express my feelings of this situation in a healthy way and connect with others that may feel the same and everything. So please don't feel like I'm complaining or bashing anyone haha. We're all Animal Crossing Family here xD

Let me just get the record straight. You are allowed to enjoy the game and have your opinion thats fine, but when you say things like "I'm so, so, so sick of people complaining about a game I love." its sounds like you get tired of people bashing on the game. You have to realize that most people really want to see more done with the game. Just because they say that doesn't mean they hate the game and I really don't get why this is so hard to understand. We all have different opinions, different perspectives of how we see the game, thats just how it is.

Look, I am not here to start any arguments but I just want to clear this whole confusion thing up. I was one of those people who got attacked by other users who kept assuming that I only post "negative" things about the game when in reality I've spoken about good things about the game and not just negative. Sure there are times I was hard on the game but I am not one of those people who is like "I hate this game so much" I am not like that at all. Many people on this site don't seem to understand the difference between having an actual valid opinion and then having to be attacked by others who simply don't agree with you. Its a hurtful feeling.

I know exactly what you mean lol. People can confuse healthy self-expression with bashing and hating and take other people's valid opinions personally. I think that when it comes to situations like those, the fact is that there are simply people who have the tendency to personalize their views, beliefs and feelings with something such as a video game, a person, a character and so on and when someone else doesn't feel or think in those same ways or even feel and think in opposite ways, they start feeling attacked. The issue lies in their personalizing things and then for one reason or another, they end up projecting that personalization onto others and go on the offensive because they feel like they were attacked first even when that wasn't the case. It can be challenging getting the brunt from people in those situations lol and it's definitely not fair. But with awareness, understanding and education, we're able to see what these situations for what they really are, observe them non-judgmentally and address, face and deal with them in the right ways without allowing ourselves to get beaten down from them. Awareness and education are major keys. But yeah, I feel you. Don't be dismayed by these types of situations. Raise your awareness and stand strong in your inner core.

I already replied to a lot of people here and I'm kind of getting worn out lol. Plus this is like the longest comment in history. Gonna reply to everyone else a little bit later.

I feel exactly where you're coming from. And I can see why you would absolutely adore New Horizons. It seems you got the DLC, correct me if I'm wrong. I feel that this may be part of the reason why you're able to enjoy it in the whole way that you are. I personally don't have the DLC so maybe that might contribute to why I feel the way I feel this time around. I don't really feel it was right for them to only make the game 100% whole thru a paid DLC and have felt strongly about this type of stuff for a while now. I feel like that's what the advancement of technology has done for game creators/developers etc. There's more capitalization on paid content that once came with the game for free as a complete package. But that's a totally seperate thing so I'll just leave that alone for now lol. But it does kind of still affect this specific game in a large way I feel. Not everybody wants a Nintendo Online membership ya know. And not everybody wants to pay extra for an extra part of the game that honestly was supposed to already be built into the game. But that's just my opinon.
I‘m not the one you’re replying to, but I wanted to say that I don’t have the dlc or Nintendo online and I love new horizons. Its my favorite game not just my favorite animal crossing game, but out of every game I’ve ever played. I considered the game complete before the update and dlc.

If you no longer like ACNH thats fine and your entitled to your opinion but you shouldn't be surprised or offended when fans who still love the game see yet another moaning thread and then jump into defend the game as like you they're also entitled to their opinion. However just as much as you are fed up with the game lacking a heart and soul (apparently) those of us who still love the game are pretty fed up with seeing fans continually picking apart ACNH rather than simply moving on to another game that will satisfy them when it comes to playing games in general.

Last edited:
honestly not sure i understand everyone saying the forum is filled with "negative threads" or that they're "sick of seeing yet another one" when this is the first ""big"" one i've seen in some time. even just looking at the board this is posted on, the majority of all the other threads on both pages one and two are either questions or neutral discussions. (at the time i'm typing this.) nothing inherently negative about most of them apart from the rant thread, which there is an accompanying positivity thread for. i don't think anyone has any right to tell people that they should "move on" or take their opinions elsewhere as if they aren't also entitled to a) play whatever game they want for whatever reason they want, no matter how minor it is to you and b) post their opinions publicly and make threads regardless of whether or not you disagree with them. i also don't think it's fair to accuse OP of deliberately looking to elicit a reaction out of people as if we can read their mind.

i've generally tried to avoid stating my opinions on this game because every time, i receive the same response of "stop playing" or "go back to NL" or "you're ruining the community" etc. regardless of how polite i am or how many times i reiterate that i don't hate the game and am happy for people who genuinely enjoy it. being "fed-up" goes both ways, and i think it's a little ignorant to pretend otherwise and essentially try to silence people just because they're disappointed or their overall view of the game isn't inherently positive. you can't say players who love the game are entitled to their opinion and then shut down people trying to express the opposite opinion or try to corral them into a handful of threads. that's hypocritical and makes zero sense.

if you don't agree with this thread and adore the game, that's perfectly fine! we're all entitled to our opinions and grievances. i'm glad you enjoy the game. i do too, just not as much as i have previous installments, and both takes are valid. none of us are wrong and none of us are right. how good the game is is a subjective view that naturally changes from person to person. this is a diverse community, not an echo chamber. i understand getting fed-up -- really, i do -- but we should all try our best to just be polite, get along and respect each other's views on the game.

anyway, OP, i hope you're doing okay. don't let people get you down. <3 you don't have to like every aspect of the game, you don't have to stop playing it just because you dislike certain parts (i.e. lack of charm) and you don't have to leave or silence yourself at the behest of others.

also please nobody quote me if you're just going to argue. there's a reason i didn't quote anyone to begin with. this is a general statement, and i don't have the spoons to hash it out.

Last edited:
I‘m not the one you’re replying to, but I wanted to say that I don’t have the dlc or Nintendo online and I love new horizons. Its my favorite game not just my favorite animal crossing game, but out of every game I’ve ever played. I considered the game complete before the update and dlc.

That's epic. I'm genuinely happy for you lol. I hope you get the most out of New Horizons as you possibly can and it makes a difference in your life in multiple ways. I feel that a truly great game is meant to do that and have that effect on people. Great games change lives. It's a shame there a lot of people who don't play video games and will never understand this.

honestly not sure i understand everyone saying the forum is filled with "negative threads" or that they're "sick of seeing yet another one" when this is the first ""big"" one i've seen in some time. even just looking at the board this is posted on, the majority of all the other threads on both pages one and two are either questions or neutral discussions. (at the time i'm typing this.) nothing inherently negative about most of them apart from the rant thread, which there is an accompanying positivity thread for. i don't think anyone has any right to tell people that they should "move on" or take their opinions elsewhere as if they aren't also entitled to a) play whatever game they want for whatever reason they want, no matter how minor it is to you and b) post their opinions publicly and make threads regardless of whether or not you disagree with them. i also don't think it's fair to accuse OP of deliberately looking to elicit a reaction out of people as if we can read their mind.

i've generally tried to avoid stating my opinions on this game because every time, i receive the same response of "stop playing" or "go back to NL" or "you're ruining the community" etc. regardless of how polite i am or how many times i reiterate that i don't hate the game and am happy for people who genuinely enjoy it. being "fed-up" goes both ways, and i think it's a little ignorant to pretend otherwise and essentially try to silence people just because they're disappointed or their overall view of the game isn't inherently positive. you can't say players who love the game are entitled to their opinion and then shut down people trying to express the opposite opinion or try to corral them into a handful of threads. that's hypocritical and makes zero sense.

if you don't agree with this thread and adore the game, that's perfectly fine! we're all entitled to our opinions and grievances. i'm glad you enjoy the game. i do too, just not as much as i have previous installments, and both takes are valid. none of us are wrong and none of us are right. how good the game is is a subjective view that naturally changes from person to person. this is a diverse community, not an echo chamber. i understand getting fed-up -- really, i do -- but we should all try our best to just be polite, get along and respect each other's views on the game.

anyway, OP, i hope you're doing okay. don't let people get you down. <3 you don't have to like every aspect of the game, you don't have to stop playing it just because you dislike certain parts (i.e. lack of charm) and you don't have to leave or silence yourself at the behest of others.

also please nobody quote me if you're just going to argue. there's a reason i didn't quote anyone to begin with. this is a general statement, and i don't have the spoons to hash it out.

Literally perfectly said. Everything you said is 100% true. I feel that a lot of the people accusing others of being toxic (not gonna name them) are actually just being toxic themselves and are projecting that toxicity onto others. This is a completely neutral thread and most people here are civilized and are freely stating their opinions, thoughts and feelings in a free, healthy way. And some of us indeed, have disagreed, but we've disagreed in completely healthy ways. Life is all about sharing, exchanging and respecting and that's exactly what's happening here in this thread. If you feel that other people here are being negative and toxic, you're absolutely entitled to feel that way; your feeling isn't wrong. But that doesn't make the situation true.

Still gonna respond to other posts but I need to eat something right now because I haven't had breakfast yet and responding to others is gonna take some time lol

Oh and thanks @daringred_. I really appreciate your supportive words immensely. 🙏

If you no longer like ACNH thats fine and your entitled to your opinion but you shouldn't be surprised or offended when fans who still love the game see yet another moaning thread and then jump into defend the game as like you they're also entitled to their opinion. However just as much as you are fed up with the game lacking a heart and soul (apparently) those of us who still love the game are pretty fed up with seeing fans continually picking apart ACNH rather than simply moving on to another game that will satisfy them when it comes to playing games in general.

So just move on or better yet take your opinions to the multiple threads dedicated to the negative side of ACNH that already exist within this forum, rather than riling everyone up and so you can feel more validated in your opposing opinions.

You can’t in one sentence say everyone is entitled to their opinion and then latercall his opinion negative and that it belongs with the rest of the negative side. He’s not the only one bored with the game, there are many others. People have every right to complain about the game not being as good as the others(in their opinion); they’ve probably spent hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours dedicating their invaluable time to the Animal Crossing series. People who truly love the game series will remain playing it in hopes that they release more content; so, you telling them to shut it and move on to something else is actually quite negative in itself and redundant. If anything, from a neutral point of view(I neither love nor hate NH) people like you, with comments like yours, are what’s making this thread “negative”. Nothing is perfect and without criticism, there’s no room for growth or improvement; that includes NH

Well said. Also as far as I know it’s not against forum rules to criticise the game. Had the OP said “Everyone that still plays this game is stupid” that would be different. I genuinely don’t understand those who feel the need to “defend”the game when someone is giving their opinion of it.
I also don’t see many negative threads. I would not go into a thread where someone was saying how amazing the game is and tell them they are wrong. I don’t feel the need to defend the game or my opinion Of it. If I like a game I really don’t care if others like it or not or criticise it. All that matters is how I feel as I’m the one playing it!

I think the vast majority of people playing NH prefer it over the previous titles. And I’m pretty sure Nintendo took note of how people played NL and implemented those trends into NH.

I personally love the challenge of working with what you get. But for as long as I’ve been playing AC, people have always had issues with inconvenient house/building/rock placements. Nintendo took note.

I never minded Resetti, or dealing with the post office, or the decision trees in getting a haircut. But a lot of people found stuff like that inconvenient and should be remedied with “QOL” updates. Nintendo took note… to an extent lol.

And something that became especially noticeable in NL was the popularity of villager tiers. Where villagers became more of an accessory to fit an aesthetic, than a character you work on befriending. Nintendo took note.

NH may not be what everyone wanted, but it is what most people wanted. Although I do prefer the dialogue of the old games. Not only from the villagers, but the relationship progression as you play each day, learning how Tom Nook and his relationship with the Able Sisters began, or the possible love triangle between the pelicans at the post office based on the cute tidbits shared on the BB, or warming up to Rosetti and Don; there are a lot of things in NL that make your island much more lively and charming than the towns of past games.

I wish they hadn’t sacrificed some of the charm of past games to appeal to most new players of the franchise, but majority rules.

It feels like NH is a decorating simulator because that’s what the community highlighted most in social media. I remember WW online was mostly just players hanging out, but since NL online has mostly been used to trade items/villagers. I think NH is a result of how many people have been playing the game since NL. Try to collect everything as soon as possible to make the town of your dreams, wanting complete control of how to shape your town, then sharing your creation with the world via tumblr, twitter, reddit, etc.

The slow-paced, day-to-day gameplay of befriending your villagers and gradually developing your town is a niche play style now, and Nintendo took note.

You can’t in one sentence say everyone is entitled to their opinion and then latercall his opinion negative and that it belongs with the rest of the negative side. He’s not the only one bored with the game, there are many others. People have every right to complain about the game not being as good as the others(in their opinion); they’ve probably spent hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours dedicating their invaluable time to the Animal Crossing series. People who truly love the game series will remain playing it in hopes that they release more content; so, you telling them to shut it and move on to something else is actually quite negative in itself and redundant. If anything, from a neutral point of view(I neither love nor hate NH) people like you, with comments like yours, are what’s making this thread “negative”. Nothing is perfect and without criticism, there’s no room for growth or improvement; that includes NH
There are numerous threads on this forum dedicated to moaning, criticising or posting unpopular opinions on ACNH. It’s also not rocket science to find them and post those opinions in there with other like minded folk rather than starting up a new one that will always turn into an argument. Look I’m all for criticising aspects of the game that I might not like or I simply think don’t work but I also don’t continually moan about the same thing over and over again especially when it comes to comparing previous games in the franchise.

At the end of the day ACNH will never be NL or WW and if it were fans would get bored with the game a lot quicker. Anyway I’ve said my piece on this never ending topic and I’m leaving it at that because it’s clear some of us will never agree with one another when it comes to our views on negativity within the fandom.

I don’t want to get into any arguments here, but I thought this might add some perspective:

I remember when NH was announced and footage was first shown, any complaints were waved off with a “you haven’t even played the game yet”. This later—when the game was released but not yet completed—turned into a “it’s not even finished yet”.

Well, now the game is released and complete, and people’s thoughts and feelings are still being silenced. It’s not cool, it’s not kind, and it’s not in the spirit of a good, healthy community. It’s everyone’s personal responsibility to seek out or avoid threads based on their own needs and preferences—it’s not anyone’s right to police what others want to talk about (mods aside).

I still play the game daily because I enjoyed it for how it was and even more for what it is now despite its flaws.

This game not for you? Cool, I respect that.
This game no longer meet your expectations? Cool, I respect that too.

To each his own, as they say.

said this already, but while it’s not a crime to prefer a different game (or criticise lacking aspects), there is such a thing as too much. here, for the people who are saying they don’t see that much negativity, let me offer two screenshots and a few numbers:
4B58FB04-D58E-4091-8011-AA69CAE96283.jpeg

CF0946B0-3572-4080-B055-75E386183195.jpeg

the rant thread was created the day the game came out, 3/20/2020. the positivity thread was created 4/08/2020 specifically in response to the negativity. even still, the rant thread has 6x the replies and over 250,000 views — that’s around 10 posts a day over the past year and 8 months, and ~418 views a day.

essentially, there’s plenty of negativity and even if you look at it from a “constructive standpoint,” there’s nothing that saying the game lacks charm that <older game> had offers, especially if you say it over and over and over again. if it’s not for you? that’s fine, and there’s no such thing as a perfect game— but there’s no shortage of people saying the same thing in places that already exist with the same thoughts on how x game is better and Y game did this more nicely why didn’t NH implement that, which is what people are trying to say here.

Last edited:
I really dont get how they thought this was fun to play with friends? The commercials and the advertising was for group fun and interacting with others. Theres nothing to do with my friends. Theres nothing to do with the villagers. No games and bad interactions. This was the first animal crossing my cousins have experienced and they were bored 2 weeks after I bought it for them. I told them how fun it is and how theres always somthing to do. They saw the commercials and were just as hyped as me. I love decorating and so do they but that's all there is. I could go all day about how they just had to reuse a couple of the past features, from all the way back to gamecube and this game would be way better.

Side rant: why has nintendo never added anything pokemon related to animal crossing? Like a plushie or artwork I know nintendo dosent own pokemon but with there relationship why never a crossover? Mario, zelda, sanrio, 7-11.....no pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back