How to Stop Thinking About Work When You’re Off?

StarlitGlitch

Sweets Lover
Bells
Island
Seafort
Perfect Cherry
Isabelle
New Leaf Token
Sweet Balloon
Blue Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Lost Star Fragment 004.MB
Blue Star Fragment
I've realized I spend a lot of time outside of my job thinking about work and it's stopping me from accomplishing my goals/keeping my mental health in check.

my work starts and ends late, official hours are 10 am to 7 pm but I typically finish around 8 pm. This means that it's right in the middle of my day. Maybe if it was earlier I could wake up, work, and afterwards do some kind of activity/go out to get my mind off of it but how it is now I need to optimize my mornings. However, it can be hard not to think about work beforehand. And after I finish I'm normally stressed enough that I need time to sit and unwind with a video etc. and often even that can't make me feel better.

I work from home (currently) and live alone. I don't have friends I can meet up with during the week/talk to much besides a few texts. I'd like to feel better and work on things I enjoy like reading, studying, making videos, working out, etc. but I don't feel motivation to do my hobbies.

I don't hate my job but recently it's been going downhill because of some people. Seems like I'll have to start going in person in a couple of months which is causing me anxiety and also means I'll have even less free time after commuting/less freedom.

I'll also note that I had adhd which could affect me obsessively thinking about things.

What do you guys to get the most out of your free time/not ruminate on your job? (changing jobs isn't an option for the time being)

I found that finding a way to go off work mode when working from home really difficult. What I ended up doing was creating a physical separation for me, which helped also make a mental one. I'd set up one space in my apartment for work, where the work laptop and office and etc was and only ever use that place for work. When time was done, I'd not venture into or touch that space again until work the next day. That really helped me brain acknowledge that we were not in work mode. In turn, I would also avoid using other areas of my house during work hours (except the kitchen and bathroom of course).

I also went for a run or did yoga if it was raining immediately after getting off work as the 'buffer time' between work and home. That exercise gave my brain a natural transition, or at least that's what it felt like. When I wasn't working from home, I was walking to work, so my body was used to having some sort of physical exercise happening from transition of work to home and vice versa.

oh man, how i feel you :^(

personally, i like to do stuff that involves health ! working out is definitely one of the path to go ! after working out you have that feeling of numbness that could help you relax a little bit :^)
also it might be quite harsh, but forcing yourself to do stuff even when you don't want to can be the click to motivate yourself sometimes.

and when i'm not working out i like to over stimulate my mind by doing multiple things at once (???) like listening to a video on youtube/drawing/playing/reading by doing little sessions of each things one by one (that might get overwhelming sometimes though lol)

but yeah...anything's good if it does not involve work, what is at work stays at work and once you're off then it's gotta be you and you only! :^)

I found that finding a way to go off work mode when working from home really difficult. What I ended up doing was creating a physical separation for me, which helped also make a mental one. I'd set up one space in my apartment for work, where the work laptop and office and etc was and only ever use that place for work. When time was done, I'd not venture into or touch that space again until work the next day. That really helped me brain acknowledge that we were not in work mode. In turn, I would also avoid using other areas of my house during work hours (except the kitchen and bathroom of course).

I also went for a run or did yoga if it was raining immediately after getting off work as the 'buffer time' between work and home. That exercise gave my brain a natural transition, or at least that's what it felt like. When I wasn't working from home, I was walking to work, so my body was used to having some sort of physical exercise happening from transition of work to home and vice versa.

I also work from home, and I really have to say, this first paragraph is GREAT advice. My office is in another room separate from my bedroom for exactly this reason. When I'm focused on work I'm not focused on anything else, and when I'm done with work for the day I'm back in my room enjoying my hobbies to destress, not even thinking about work. Same thing on the weekends. Once I get off work on Friday I don't think about work again until Monday morning. Out of sight, out of mind!

i struggle with this a lot! i've been trying to work on it recently. one thing that kind of helps cement "me time" is honestly drawing a bath and reading webtoons for a bit. i'm completely in solitude with nothing but me and something to focus on. for before work, i make a note to always have coffee and breakfast while reading something.

i know this is super generic stuff that may not help a lot. i hope you can find peace with your home life soon.

Thank you everyone for the advice! It was all really helpful.

I forgot to mention that I live in a tiny studio apartment (think small dorm room) so I can’t set up separate areas but I can try to think about creative ways to differentiate between work and play.

Well, I was also going to suggest a separate work space, but then I saw your last post. I don't know if it's possible to create a small corner just for work or not, but it doesn't have to be a completely separate room.

Another suggestion I have is to do something each day before and/or after work to trigger your brain to switch gears. When going into the office, the commute acts as that trigger for most people, but when you work from home you may need to create your own trigger. It can be something small like doing a quick work-out or some stretches, getting a cup of tea or coffee, taking a walk, or simply changing clothes. For me, I walk my dog every day right after I get off work and that gives me a few minutes to shift from work mode to home mode. Having that short amount of time to mentally process my day, wrap up any lingering thoughts and ideas, and plan my priorities for the next workday helps me to let it go.

When you do have to go back to the office, I understand that the commute will take away some of that precious free time. I don't know what your commute is like, but if you drive maybe you can listen to something you like while you drive. It could be music, audiobooks, podcasts, or whatever. If you use public transportation, maybe you could bring a book, laptop, or portable gaming system with you. Doing something you enjoy during your commute can make it feel less like an extension of your work time and more like your time.

I hope this helps!

If it’s at all possible to create a separate work station in your studio i highly suggest that! Even if it’s just setting up a tiny desk with your work laptop there. Also, take frequent breaks! When it’s lunch time get up from the work space and make lunch or go out to have lunch. I try and take a couple breaks through out the day and actually get away from the workspace. After work I’m pretty good about forgetting I even have a job lol If i’m not there then it doesn’t exist lol

Hi! I also work from home. I don’t really have a separate office space from my bedroom, so my work desk and computers are in my bedroom. Once I get off at work, it helps to shut off all the work electronics. My phone and work computers remain shut down until I have to come back to work. I also put away all the documents inside a drawer. I like to pretend that if I was back at the office, I wouldn’t be able to turn on my computer from all the way back at home. Once I clock out, I have clocked out and won’t be back to the office (by office I mean my computer chair and desk) until the next day.

I find it really hard to have to jump from one thing and immediately into another. So, the whole “get up, breakfast, commute, start work” thing really takes a toll on me mentally.

I prefer to get up way earlier than I need to in the morning so I don’t feel as rushed (if you start at 10 I’d think about getting up at around 6, if not earlier) and spend that time recreationally. It’s one of the things I love most about working in the evenings some days, too.

I also find that, if you don’t do anything outside of work, you begin to assume that everyone in the world is as annoying, boring, dull, and miserable as your co-workers and bosses. I always feel better about myself and more motivated when I go out of my way to meet people outside of work, even if they’re complete strangers, even if it’s just the person at the counter at a random café.

Back