• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How to make video games?

Lotusblossom

Prankster Crossing
Bells
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
November Birthstone (Topaz)
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Kaleidoclover
Famous Mushroom
April Birthstone (Diamond)
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
Cake
Cake
I have wonderful ideas in my head to make amazing video games and I want to do it!! Any idea to step in the right direction? I'd prefer not to have to go to school... and just self educate! Starting here is somewhere... thanks!

I'm afraid I don't have much experience with this myself, but I'd also like to maybe make some games in the future, and my suggestion would be to look into game engines that suit the style/genre of games you'd like to make, such as RPG Maker, Unity, etc. When you find one that works for what you have in mind, you can consult tutorials (I've seen some good ones on Youtube!) on how to use it and create games with it. ^^ It might also be a good idea to make some test games at first to get a feel for working with the engine before trying to create your main projects.

Harvard has a recording of thier class time for CS50 you can find on thier website or YouTube. It's a basic computer programing class.

Other than that, watch lots of YouTube. There are indie game devs who make videos about different things that deal with making video games. Sometimes you also find school teachers making videos too. And people who do tutorials on game engines, graphic design, animation, and coding.

If you don't mind throwing a little money at your interest, you can check out skill share which has alot of material to learn from too.

I'm still wondering how to go about making video games.. it's an absolute must. I hope that someone here will believe in me so that we all can enjoy the video game I shall create... so please someone help me, point me in the right direction.. tell me what to do I'm even asking for a mentor... because I'm still so confused.. thanks!

I'm more open now to going to school on the subject but I'm not quite sure what subjects to enroll in specifically.. I definitely want to do the art as well as design the entire game

I'm more open now to going to school on the subject but I'm not quite sure what subjects to enroll in specifically.. I definitely want to do the art as well as design the entire game

a lot of schools have game dev courses, but they usually want you to submit a portfolio in order to get accepted, the local one here expects you to have history with 3d modelling for example. a bit of programming experience helps too

Ive made a few games, I could give you some advice 😊

Mine are RPG Horror games. I got it from *RPG maker* sold on Steam, and learned how to use all the basic sets and movements

Its a good software for people who really want to get their foot in the door in game making. But it depends on the concept you want to make. Its also a good start for learning about sets, switchs, which are very key to making dialogue, multiple endings, and movement. Its a step into basic programming as well. It also has a pretty good character customizer as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that the programming can be tedious, and take a while to first learn. I got some very useful tutorials on Youtube, to help with lighting, back drops, back ground sound, switches.

Switches are what controls the game, and those can be tedious. But switches are in all games. Its basically a format that connects all the programming, and you need to keep track of all the switches, to know which to turn on, and off.

You need alot of patience, but determination. It took me about three days to make one scene. But it was so worth it
---
But what game were you thinking about? I could maybe give you some advice, and ideas on where to start. Or what kinda platform would be the best fit.

You can also go to school to take a major step into the industry, and maybe be apart of a much bigger franchise. but it is also possible to create your game on you own without a degree :)

Many popular indie game developers have gone to school, but there are many that haven't. However they made very successful games.

For example: Undertale's creator Toby, as far as I know, didn't go to school for gaming. He got his first experience from just using the rpg maker software. He also composed all the music, before hand composed music for other popular titles too. Pretty amazing to be honest.

I'll happily help if you want some.

Last edited:
If it helps at all, I've been using the Godot engine. I feel like it is one of the more user friendly ones. I've heard alot of good things about Gamemaker engine as well for beginners. After getting familiar with basic coding, I would look into what game engine you'd want to use. Then tutorials on those game engines to give you a good start. As you do the tutorials you will learn how stuff works in the engine and its syntax.

Back