• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Help?

You'll have to do it eventually, so just do it.

Think logically about it(possibly write a chart). Why don't you want to read it? Is my fear of reading it based on anything logical? If it is bad, will it be better by me ignoring it? And so on.

Also, seek help from your doctor for it, cos it sounds like something that seriously affects you and your daily life and it shouldn't be this way. (Trust me I have a pretty crippling social anxiety.)

I've kind of been the same way lately. I've been putting off checking my grades until the very end of the semester and I got a message a while ago that I couldn't bring myself to read for a couple of days, and I usually don't worry about things like that so I'm not sure what's been up.

I just try to remember that if the message is already sent, I'm not going to have any control over its contents and that won't change no matter how long I wait until reading it. I know it's much easier said than done, but try to remember that it's probably best to read the message as soon as possible to avoid stressing about it. It's hard when I'm feeling anxious about reading something but I try to make a habit of just going for it and clicking on the message as soon as I see it, and that way it makes it a little easier to go ahead and read what it says.

I often have the same fear of opening up an email or listening to my voicemail because I'm afraid I'll read or hear something I don't want to. I find it best to just "get it over with" and read it even though I'm afraid of what it may say since just because I read it doesn't mean I have to respond right away when I read it. The other person doesn't know when you read it and it doesn't matter to them whether you wait a day to read it and respond right away after that or if you read it right away and take a day to come up with a response.

If you are really afraid of what might be in the email, then cover most of your screen and read the email slowly line by line and if you think it's going in the wrong direction, then stop reading and come back to it later when you are more prepared to handle bad news.

Just remember, you never know when someone may be saying something nice or telling you some good news, and you certainly would not want to keep that person waiting, so the sooner you read it the better.

Back