• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Grass Deterioration :(

MagicalCat590

Hippie Witch
Bells
October Birthstone (Opal)
I am completely lost about what to do to fix the grass deterioration in my town. I tried not walking on it since that's the only way I know to fix it since the flower thing has been disproven, but it has become impossible not to walk on the brown spots in some areas because of the way all the villagers are situated. So it's spreading like freaking wild fire, too, especially in the north-east part of Coven where my house. It's gotten so bad, I can't even log into my save without getting depressed over it because I feel like there's nothing I can do to fix it, I don't update my Dream Address because I don't want people to come visit an ugly town, and I've actually been thinking of resetting over it. I don't know what to do. I mean, I don't want to because I really, really, love this town. I've completed more in this save than any other and I really love the map and my villagers. But I don't know how else to fix the damage that's been done.
Do you guys have any ideas? TIA

Sadly, patience is mostly the key here. :( Try not to run (like, at all) and plant flowers all over the dirt.They help to grow the grass, and will remind you not to run. If you do this, the grass should grow back after about a week (or so I've heard its a week, i don't actually know how long it will take :"3). Hope I've helped here! xP

wait til one of your villagers PING you to move, say no, save and quit
TT 1 year forward, save and quit
TT 1 year back to present date - grass is beautiful again

Just make sure you set the ordinance to beautiful town first so you don't lose flowers or get weeds.

The "flower theory" has been disproved? Is that the one where you plant flowers in the grass and hope that it accelerates the regrowth of the grass? I thought it was working on my town ... but I guess maybe it was just coincidental that the grass was regrowing. Of course, it's a slow process :( I totally understand your frustration. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this large dirt patch near my house ...

Does anyone know if loading your game multiple times in the same day contribute to grass deterioration? I keep on finding conflicting answers about it ...

The flower trick works just fine. I once put a PWP in a place I didn't want it and had it removed, but it left a big, nasty dirt patch. So I planted a ton of flowers over it, watered them everyday, and avoided walking in that area. Within about a week or two, the grass started growing back. The only reason the flower trick wouldn't work is if you're planting flowers on a dirt patch that was already in your town to begin with.

Paths also don't do anything to stop grass deterioration, but they do cover it up.

I've also found that even if you don't run at all, your grass will still deteriorate if you walk along the same route a lot.

I get frustrated with that in my town too, and what I do is (and this is similar to a previous post) on a day where someone asks to move, I say 'no' then I TT one month forward, and it's all grown back, and then I TT back to the original day. There are some dirt patches in my town that never have grass, and it's really annoying (like right outside my flippin' house!). To cover up these areas so I don't get too annoyed looking at it, I plant flowers, I cover with pattern tiles, or I plant clovers over them. There are also some pretty decent 'fake grass' qr codes online, that have different colours to match seasonal grass colours. You could always use them to cover up too. Don't get too discouraged, I bet your town looks fab. I hardly ever notice stuff like grass wear when I visit dream towns! :)

I think that you just need to wait. The entire process of having it regrow I think takes at least a month. Wait, and if by December you don't have grass, then consider other options.

You can place paths down where you walk and run the most. It decorates your town and hides the worn grass area :)

I remember reading something about snow allowing grass to grow back. Currently in December and it seems like my soil patches are slowly being covered by snow now. Hopefully that also means that grass has re-grown there.

Otherwise, use patterns. Put patterns where you run frequently and/or use it to cover-up. There are qr patterns with grass and flowers, even water.

Resetting because of grass disappearing is silly, OP. Just no :3 Grass wear happens in every town.

You can place paths down where you walk and run the most. It decorates your town and hides the worn grass area :)

Oh yeah, and designs will prevent grass wear altogether, I'm pretty sure, but I'm not certain on that, but I think that it hides that effect.

Oh yeah, and designs will prevent grass wear altogether, I'm pretty sure, but I'm not certain on that, but I think that it hides that effect.

I've read that it has been found that the grass will still deteriorate (it was listed as one of the common AC myths), but the paths do hide it. I usually keep my paths where they are since my town is pretty well settled, so I can't confirm it either way.

Last edited:
grass doesn't stop deterioration, still good to cover up the dead areas though.

Please don't reset your town due to grass wear!! Don't be embarrassed, I for one don't care about it at all, so I wouldn't think badly of you if I saw it. Time Travel is the fastest and most surefire way to get your grass back, and a safe method was posted on the first page.

grass doesn't stop deterioration, still good to cover up the dead areas though.

...? I'm not sure what you mean, I think you mean patterns or flowers haha.

What do you mean the flower trick has been disproven?

I'm pretty sure it works. It worked for me all the time.

My advice is to either try not to play for as much as possible, use paths, use the flower method, or tt (if you are willing.) Does anyone know if wearing shoes or not have some major effect?

Last edited:

I do this every so often, and it feels GREAT to have the grass back! If you just can't TT, plant trees in the worst area with flowers in between. I don't think they regrow grass faster than other methods - but they keep me away from the areas where I'm regrowing grass, and that's a big part of it, even if you are walking. I always plant a stand of 4-6 trees where a villager moves out, and I get pretty fast results this way.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes the grass deterioration in the new games. I think it's really cool. I like lining my town with paths made of trees and flowers and bushes, and the paths I walk on withering away so the ground looks like a trail through a forest. I love it a lot actually.

I don't think they intended grass deterioration to be some player punishing feature of the game that makes you have to take extra care of your grass. I think they added it in to add some character to the villages, unique to you. Based on where you go and the most common routes you take there.

I mean, I wish there was a way I could deteriorate the grass FASTER than just running on it. I hate seeing grass on my paths.

Last edited:
Just wait until someone pings, say no, then TT one month forward. Load up your game, make sure no one is moving, then TT back to the correct time. It's really easy and works super well ^^

To prevent it in the future: don't run and only walk on paths

Back