Does anyone else refuse to restart, even if you ‘finish’ your island?

I bought a second switch so I could start over and what not - and I intend to buy a switch lite at some point (just cause I want one for travel purposes and what not) but no, I don't think I could ever restart my Island. I'd feel absolutely lost. I could understand flattening and what not but not resetting. I don't think I'd flatten either.

me! i’m nowhere near ‘finishing’ my island but i can’t imagine ever resetting. i’ve made too much progress and so many good memories to ever even think about saying goodbye. >_<

I could never restart my first island. It holds a special place in my heart, also because it was created on launch day and I’ve experience every new thing, from bushes to events in that island.
But I’m lucky and I own a second switch too so I recently created a new island and I must admit that I missed the slow pace the game forces you into when terraforming is not involved.

I can't consider my island to ever be "finished", so I would never consider restarting. I got bored of my island late last year, so I'm in the middle of rebuilding everything after flattening the island, which has been relaxing and a lot of fun. There are still so many villagers that I want to meet and invite to my island. I would like to redecorate my house, too, but this will have to wait, as I'm still ordering furniture to decorate the island.

I feel like if I restart, my island will end up looking like it does now; I don't mind the lesser amount of time I play. Plus, when new things are introduced, it challenges my brain to figure out if or how to utilize it or them.

I am having this feeling right now. D: I recently bought a coral switch lite, and I made a new island and I loved it. I had been playing animal crossing on my boyfriend’s switch since it came out and I’ve been thinking about restarting that island. I just don’t know because its sooooo much work *edit I was thinking about making the island on my boyfriend’s switch a hybrid island where I just had a huge garden... but that also seems like a lot of work

I am having this feeling right now. D: I recently bought a coral switch lite, and I made a new island and I loved it. I had been playing animal crossing on my boyfriend’s switch since it came out and I’ve been thinking about restarting that island. I just don’t know because its sooooo much work *edit I was thinking about making the island on my boyfriend’s switch a hybrid island where I just had a huge garden... but that also seems like a lot of work
What makes it stressful is trying to choose the right layout where you want Resident Services, Airport, Secret beach to be located and if the layout has different rocks or docks. Also what makes it annoying is that whatever Airport color you get is RNG, same with the Native fruit. Also you really do have to work hard again to get up to 3 star rating, invite KK Silder, and then finally you get access to the Island Designer. So yeah Restarting is actually pretty risky and stressful when trying to find the right layout and airport color you want.

This is why I had two copies of New Leaf, I never delete my first town, but with New Horizons I'd need a new Switch if I wanted to start over and keep my old Island. By the time I've finished with this though I'll be fed up of it anyway and not want a fresh start, there's way more to do now you can decorate outdoors.

I couldn't restart at this point. I just have too much time invested in this file now. I have nearly all non-seasonal DIYs and haven't even started on Bunny day or the cherry blossom set. I'm not big on terraforming but there are certain spots I wouldn't mind playing around with, like below my plaza, which is pretty dull looking at the moment. Going to dream islands has helped me rethink certain places on my island, so I'll never run out of ideas.

What makes it stressful is trying to choose the right layout where you want Resident Services, Airport, Secret beach to be located and if the layout has different rocks or docks. Also what makes it annoying is that whatever Airport color you get is RNG, same with the Native fruit. Also you really do have to work hard again to get up to 3 star rating, invite KK Silder, and then finally you get access to the Island Designer. So yeah Restarting is actually pretty risky and stressful when trying to find the right layout and airport color you want.
yes... I had to restart literally 12 different times just to get the orange airport on my switch lite island

I don’t think I would.
I have my town pretty much how I imagined it looking, and it’s starting to look nice and complete. It’s making me enjoy my gameplay more. I can’t imagine restarting and being stressed trying to terraform. Plus I don’t think I would terraform much differently if I were to restart, so I don’t see much point to it. Once I finish decorating, I still have everything else to work towards ( catching critters, finishing achievements etc).

yes... I had to restart literally 12 different times just to get the orange airport on my switch lite island
I wanted an orange airport and pears as my fruit when I started my second island.
I got so fed up of resetting I settled on an orange airport and oranges for my fruit. The theme of the island is now going to be orange. Only orange villagers allowed, only orange furniture (or red, or brown, so long as its on the same spectrum) and only orange flowers.

Resetting is the worst.

I wanted an orange airport and pears as my fruit when I started my second island.
I got so fed up of resetting I settled on an orange airport and oranges for my fruit. The theme of the island is now going to be orange. Only orange villagers allowed, only orange furniture (or red, or brown, so long as its on the same spectrum) and only orange flowers.

Resetting is the worst.
haha nice. I thought about doing a colored theme, but instead i'm going with a natural theme with my villagers but a city town kind of theme. You are more than welcome to come see what I have done so far, but i'm definitely not finished!
Post automatically merged:

I remember I got so lucky getting a Blue Airport the first time since Blue was my favorite color.
yeah I just wanted orange for the fall vibe <3

Nah. In every AC game, I've always stuck with my original island, ever after I've obtained my dream villagers and the like.

Can't see me doing it any differently here.

I wouldn't want to restart my island at the moment as I still feel like I'm quite a way away from 'finishing' my island, I'm still in the process of decorating it fully to a point I'm happy with (I'm mostly there but do still have a couple of spaces that need work) and I currently only have 8 permanent villagers as I'm collecting villagers photos so am going through a list of villagers on the other two plots. Though when I do eventually get to a point where I'm fully happy with my island and feel like it could be finished I still doubt I'd restart it, some parts of the map aren't perfect but there good enough for me and I don't think I'd find a map I preferred enough to restart. Also as I'm still on my original island from a year ago now I've managed to pick up a lot of items and DIYs from playing for months and working through the seasons, as well as completing numerous sections of my museum and critterpedia which I wouldn't really want to go through again. For the most part I feel that if I wanted big changes to my island in the future then I'd still be able to achieve this through redoing it rather then restarting, which would allow me to keep the villagers I've spent many hours looking for and all the in-game items I've collected.

While I could probably never bring myself to restart my island as I don't think I'd be able to make an island I was happier with and I wouldn't want to lose everything I have still often thought that starting a new island with a different theme and another set of villagers I really liked would be quite fun, which if I really wanted I could just redo my island to achieve, so been able to have a second island would be great without having to buy a second switch so I could try something else out without losing what I already have.

In new leaf I restarted A LOT and I never did in any other animal crossing game. I’m not sure why but I could not be happy with my town and I always got bored quickly. In new horizons I have no desire to restart. I’m very happy with my island and with terraforming I can tweak anything that annoys me. I’m also attached to my villagers. Sure I could scan them in via amiibo but I’d feel so bad restarting. It wouldn’t be the same.
For me, when I restarted in new leaf it was a vicious cycle. I thought “well I restarted once so why not again?” And again and again. To the point where it ruined the game. That’s why I’m so happy that new horizons is different for me.

I don't have the heart to restart my island and do it all over again--simply don't have the time or energy for that. I know this is the expensive option but I bought a second switch to have another island with a different theme. I used my first island to transfer some items over and order items that are not catalogued in that island. In addition, this new update has me working on my first island again updating areas thanks to the additional slots.

I think people who are playing the game primarily to create content for YouTube, or at least who spend a lot of time trying to develop content through their gameplay probably have pretty different priorities than the average player. They need to have continuous new content for their viewers.
whereas if you are playing your own game on your own the ‘finishing’ of your island, slower pace, and gradual evolution (or not) of your island over time is probably not an issue, or at least not as much of an issue.

I have spent way to many hours on my island and the thought of losing all the hard work, not to mention the catalogues, art and all my animals friends. I would also lose the memories of special times with friends when they visited 🥺

I don’t think my island will ever be finished in a way some people would consider. It’s not amazing, it definitely isn’t perfectly terraformed or landscaped. I will always walk round and think it could be better. But then I walk around and see how it is coming along and taking shape. Sounds silly but it might not be a perfect insta island but it is home and it makes me happy 💜

Back