Shadow Kitty Plush
Gourdy
Opalescent Crystal
Gleaming Butterfly Spirit
Black Famous Mushroom
Quirky Doll
Spirit Candy: Wix
Purple Bat Potion
I've been playing NL for over a year now & I love it. A few months back I even started a 2nd town. However just today I realized I do something that I wasn't even conscious I was doing. I realized that if I'm in any of the buildings in my town or on Main Street that I walk outside before I "Save & Quit". After realizing I do this it dawned on me that I subconsciously started doing it because I don't want to just disappear in front of any of my villagers or NPCs - wait for it - because it might startle or scare them. My own brain just went - "WHAT?!". :confused:

So now I'm wondering if I'm the only one who does this or if others do it too. And if others do walk out of buildings before saving & quitting I'm wondering if they do it for the same reason I do or different reasons.

Awh. ;v; You're so considerate, Val. I'm a rude mayor---just the other day Francine dropped by my house by surprise and said she hoped she wasn't bothering me/being annoying or whatever. I went to sit on my mermaid sofa for a bit.

While I sat there, I realized that I completed my daily tasks, including scanning in a villager for the coupons from Wisp. I then decided not to do the usual "wait until they leave" act. I hit save & quit once I got up from the sofa. xD Oops

that is actually the cutest and most humble thing i've read all day. I don't think i am anything like this or have done anything like this, i'm a bit of a meanie.

Last edited:
I usually go inside my house before saving and quitting. It's something that I'm used to doing since Gamecube, and it just feels like the best place to finally stop playing for the day.

I also always walk outside before saving. I don't know why I do this. Maybe it's the gamer in me that is so used to having to save outside of town in old RPGs or something. I've never thought about my villagers seeing me disappear, because I'll often be standing right next to them outside of Retail when I log off. But for whatever reason, it just feels weird to me to save while I'm in a building.

Awh. ;v; You're so considerate, Val. I'm a rude mayor---just the other day Francine dropped by my house by surprise and said she hoped she wasn't bothering me/being annoying or whatever. I went to sit on my mermaid sofa for a bit.

While I sat there, I realized that I completed my daily tasks, including scanning in a villager for the coupons from Wisp. I then decided not to do the usual "wait until they leave" act. I hit save & quit once I got up from the sofa. xD Oops

Thank you but I think I'm more dorky than considerate. lol! I will sit in a chair if a villager drops by unexpectedly but I've never saved & quit while a villager was in my house. I hadn't even thought of doing that. See - more evidence of dorkiness.

- - - Post Merge - - -

that is actually the cutest and most humble thing i've read all day. I don't think i am anything like this or have done anything like this, i'm a bit of a meanie.

Oh, you made me blush. Thank you for your kind words! When I first started playing I didn't want to Google too much about NL so I didn't know what effected friendship or town rank. I think I started doing this subconsciously as a "better safe than sorry" situation.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I usually go inside my house before saving and quitting. It's something that I'm used to doing since Gamecube, and it just feels like the best place to finally stop playing for the day.

I normally like to do this as well but on the occasions where I need to get off as quickly as possible I won't run all the way to my house but I will leave any building I'm in.

(P.S. - I love your sig & avatar! SO CUTE!)

Pardon, but i'm a bit confused over what you said.

I don't normally do that, but I do something weirder. And that is going inside a house/building every 5 minutes to avoid a villager interaction. Because they might change their catchphrase or shirt, and I really wanna keep them original as possible, even their houses.

I also always walk outside before saving. I don't know why I do this. Maybe it's the gamer in me that is so used to having to save outside of town in old RPGs or something. I've never thought about my villagers seeing me disappear, because I'll often be standing right next to them outside of Retail when I log off. But for whatever reason, it just feels weird to me to save while I'm in a building.

Your reason for going outside makes a lot more sense than mine does. I remember having to save outside in older games also. Maybe that's a small part of why I do it as well. Mostly though I'm just a dork who considers the feeling of nonexistent beings. lol!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Pardon, but i'm a bit confused over what you said.

I don't normally do that, but I do something weirder. And that is going inside a house/building every 5 minutes to avoid a villager interaction. Because they might change their catchphrase or shirt, and I really wanna keep them original as possible, even their houses.

What part are you confused over? I'll try to make it clearer if I can - although it's sort of odd so I'm not sure I'll be able to.

I think what you do makes a lot of sense. You're trying to keep your villagers as original as you possibly can so you choose to step inside to make sure they don't ping you. That's actually a smart way to keep your villagers in their original state. I have never thought of doing that.

It's this part I don't understand:

"I realized that if I'm in any of the buildings in my town or on Main Street that I walk outside before I "Save & Quit". After realizing I do this it dawned on me that I subconsciously started doing it because I don't want to just disappear in front of any of my villagers or NPCs - wait for it - because it might startle or scare them. My own brain just went - "WHAT?!"."

The grammar is a bit off. That's why i'm confused by it.

Also, I do listen to my villagers when they ping me. Its so they won't move out. I don't want villagers to talk to each other, that's all.

Last edited:
It's this part I don't understand:

"I realized that if I'm in any of the buildings in my town or on Main Street that I walk outside before I "Save & Quit". After realizing I do this it dawned on me that I subconsciously started doing it because I don't want to just disappear in front of any of my villagers or NPCs - wait for it - because it might startle or scare them. My own brain just went - "WHAT?!"."

The grammar is a bit off. That's why i'm confused by it.

Also, I do listen to my villagers when they ping me. Its so they won't move out. I don't want villagers to talk to each other, that's all.

When I was writing up the OP I wasn't really focused on proper grammar as I was still sort of surprised by what I was doing & why. I'll try to explain it now with the proper grammar for you. Let's see:

I came to the realization that before I choose the "Save & Quit" option to end my playing session I will exit any building I may be in at that moment. Upon exiting said building, whether it is in my town proper or on Main Street, I will then use the "Save & Quit" feature to terminate my game play. Upon realizing that I exited buildings before ending my play session, my brain then analyzed why and determined that I choose to exit any building I may be in to prevent my sudden disappearance from ending said play session from accidentally startling or scaring any villager or NPC that may have been in the building. Since my brain felt that it may be perceived as silly or unnecessary to be concerned over the feeling of non existent beings my own brain was surprised at my actions and I mentally exclaimed "What?!" as in "What are you doing this for? The villagers & NPCs aren't real."

I hope the new explanation helps. When you stated "villager interaction" in your post it seemed as though you were implying interaction with you. I didn't not think you completely ignored your villagers 100% of the time. You would have a huge villager move out rate if you did.

Last edited:

this made me laugh so HARD idk why oh my gosh

When I was writing up the OP I wasn't really focused on proper grammar as I was still sort of surprised by what I was doing & why. I'll try to explain it now with the proper grammar for you. Let's see:

I came to the realization that before I choose the "Save & Quit" option to end my playing session I will exit any building I may be in at that moment. Upon exiting said building, whether it is in my town proper or on Main Street, I will then use the "Save & Quit" feature to terminate my game play. Upon realizing that I exited buildings before ending my play session, my brain then analyzed why and determined that I choose to exit any building I may be in to prevent my sudden disappearance from ending said play session from accidentally startling or scaring any villager or NPC that may have been in the building. Since my brain felt that it may be perceived as silly or unnecessary to be concerned over the feeling of non existent beings my own brain was surprised at my actions and I mentally exclaimed "What?!" as in "What are you doing this for? The villagers & NPCs aren't real."

I hope the new explanation helps. When you stated "villager interaction" in your post it seemed as though you were implying interaction with you. I didn't not think you completely ignored your villagers 100% of the time. You would have a huge villager move out rate if you did.
Yeah, and this comes to a conclusion to me. Villagers don't get startled or scared when you exit a building. They don't act "*Gasp!* Where did the mayor go!?" They just do their normal villager thing. Now, villagers wave bye/bow to you when you exit their house, and most NPC's thank you for visiting their store/building.

I really wonder what made you think of this, but villagers don't get scared or startled when you magically disappear from a building.

this made me laugh so HARD idk why oh my gosh

It's funny to imagine just shutting down on a villager while they're visiting instead of waiting for them to finally leave. :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah, and this comes to a conclusion to me. Villagers don't get startled or scared when you exit a building. They don't act "*Gasp!* Where did the mayor go!?" They just do their normal villager thing. Now, villagers wave bye/bow to you when you exit their house, and most NPC's thank you for visiting their store/building.

I really wonder what made you think of this, but villagers don't get scared or startled when you magically disappear from a building.

When I first started playing I didn't want to Google too much because I wanted to learn things for myself. I wasn't sure how "realistic" Nintendo had made certain aspects of the game. If the Animal Crossing world really existed the Mayor wouldn't just poof out of sight in front of villagers or NPC. That would freak them out. Plus I wasn't sure what effected our friendship with villagers so I was nervous I'd do something wrong. I think all of that combined into the thought of not "saving & quitting" in front of villagers/NPCs on the off chance it had some ill effect I wasn't aware of. The funniest part to me is that it all came together & I started this habit without even really realizing I was doing it or why.

Daytime-Save/quit outside and away from villagers. I feel bad ending while they are standing there. The only time I save/quit in front of them is when I get an invite to sit on the bench. It's the perfect way to end gameplay.

Nighttime-I save/quit inside. All my players put on their PJ and get into bed before ending for the night.
I don't like to save/quit while my players are standing.

Daytime-Save/quit outside and away from villagers. I feel bad ending while they are standing there. The only time I save/quit in front of them is when I get an invite to sit on the bench. It's the perfect way to end gameplay.

Nighttime-I save/quit inside. All my players put on their PJ and get into bed before ending for the night.
I don't like to save/quit while my players are standing.

Saving on the bench is such a cute idea! I hadn't thought of that. I haven't gotten into the habit of putting my mayors to bed. I think it's because I play a lot during the day and they wouldn't go to bed so early. I do putt hem to bed if I'm playing really late at night but that isn't too often.

I can't say I do this but I do genuinely wonder how they feel when my character just stands there for a little bit and then just disappears, and then reappears hours later in their home. I don't quit around them a lot so I guess they're pretty spared by it lol.

I'll usually save the game near my house or in an area of town where the villagers don't see me. The way most of my towns are set up, the villagers are far from my house. I rarely save right in their faces; I usually check to make sure I did all my daily things, while aimlessly wandering around town.

But this also raises the question, when you pass out in front of a villager from a scorpion or tarantula, what do they see? :eek:

Heh, that's kinda cute. Now that I think about it, how would actually a villager react
if you would just disappear out of nowhere? Must be really scary for them to talk with
your character and then poof! You're gone because you just saved your game, lol. To
be honest I never really paid attention if a villager is around me or not while I'm saving
or not. But maybe should pay attention next time now that I think about it, lol.

I do something similar but I always like to go into my house to save and quit (although I?ve save&quit in front of villagers many times lol). Usually my house is the last stop I make because I like to end with organizing items I gained throughout the day. I also like hanging out there because I always make my mayor?s houses super cozy like my own dream home.

I'm a mean mayor. I save and quite wherever I am. And when a villager asks to come to my house or visit when I don't feel like it (and they were being annoying) I will set a date for 11PM of that day. Joke is on them. I am terrible, I know...

Back