• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you act differently online than in real life?

Do you act differently online than in real life?

• Yes, very different. I’m a completely different person.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • I think so, at least to some degree.

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • No, I’m pretty much the same person.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • I never thought about it.

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
Yeah, I'm more talkative and honest here. Irl people often struggle to get a word out of me. My brain basically shuts down and struggles to create small talk. However, the one thing that I have in common in both is that the other person has to lead the conversation. In here, I've noticed that I don't start a thread more times than when I respond to one. I'm trying to fix that, but it's hard.

I'm a little more open online than I am in person, but not by much. I'm typically more of a lurker in most online instances which is pretty on par to how I am in person.

I'm pretty much the same I feel lol
When I'm new somewhere or with a person or group of people I can be reserved and quiet/shy, but the more familiar and comfortable I get the more I'm comfortable opening up and more freely showing my sense of humor (which is very dry and can definitely come off as rude if I didn't know the other party on a better level 😅😅)

I do mostly because in real life I really don’t have anyone else to talk to about video games or other interests. Plus it’s easier for me to talk online because I don’t need to deal with live social cues and then my autism messing things up for me and making me socially awkward.

I bet more people would care than you may suspect :)

About me myself? Yeah, probably. About my innermost interests that I don't really share with others? Probably not.

I feel as though if I shared that I like anime and games like Genshin Impact and Honkai: Star Rail, they'd be really confused, since I don't really talk about those things at all in real life. And they wouldn't even know what those games are, either.

I mean all anyone in real life really knows about me on a surface level is that I do martial arts and I like to watch sports... that's literally it, even though I have many more interests than that. I suppose it may be my fault for not sharing more with others, but I'm just wary since you can't trust everyone, either. Or it could just be that everyone in my area and age range doesn't really share the same interests as me, which is more likely. Especially considering I have autism.

But hey, thanks for the vote of confidence. 👌

I have an easier time chatting it up with someone online if I'm feeling chatty enough. However, when it comes to irl, I mostly keep to myself. Always been a follower, not leader. I've opened up more and untwisted that stick out of the back end over the years, but it's easier for me to gather and express my thoughts in a way that makes sense through written word rather than speaking face to face or in a group. I overthink and second-guess myself A LOT 😬☠️

Okay how about this: online I tend to hold back in a layer of sugar and honey as I do be having some real unhinged thoughts lol, and my viewpoints on certain topics would definitely rattle some. But I'm easy to talk to lol Offline I feel I can be my true self and when I'm comfortable enough to really let loose, I've been told I'm kinda wacky and fun and chill to be around with lol

Back