Green Cotton Candy
Yule Log
Pumpkin Glow Wand
Bee Plush
Frost Easter Egg
Purple Candy
White Tulip
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Today is another day for an update to my Creativity Blog. And now I'm on the next chapter. In the category "Entries 51-75", my Creativity Blog will be primarily composed of house plans, but not today. It's still October, so I will talk about something else. This time, it's on an invention.

The board game console is the future of board gaming. I came up with this idea all the way back when I was writing a story. Last year, I was writing a story called City of the Atmosphere, which is about a girl who lived with a gang of robots that trained her to fight a dictatorship group of robots. In one chapter, Lola, the main character of the story, was on a tour of the Electrosphere, the fictional country the story takes place in. While waiting in the hotel, she and her favorite robot, Sphere B-360, were playing games. Sphere B-360 brought his 1,960-year old machine that was still functional at the time. It was a board game console, where board games are played digitally. This story never got published, but that was one of the ideas I came up with.

I would like to see the board game console come to life one day. This blog entry is about how it works.

The board game console is shaped like a square, at the size of an XBOX 360, and has a touch screen on top. It also has a disc drive where it can play some discs. Although the frame can come in many colors, most board game consoles will have a black frame.

How it works:

On the side with the disc drive, there is a disc drive and four buttons. On the left of the disc drive, there is a power button, where you can turn the console on and off. There's also a volume button. Tap it one way to raise the volume, but tap it the other way to lower the volume. On the right side of the disc drive, there is an eject button, which will open and close the disc drive drawer. That's where you can insert a disc. The other button is the home button, where you can return to the menu.

On the top is a touch screen that the entire board game can fit perfectly. In the menu screen, you can load up digital board games by tapping the game you want to play. The first thing it asks is if you want to play the game. Tap no to return, but tap yes to enter. When you enter, the first thing to do is to choose how many players are playing the board game. The next step is to choose what pieces each player wants to play (like player 1 can have the red pawn as player 2 can have the green pawn). After they choose what pawns they want, the game will randomize who gets to go first. However, the order won't be completey random. The order can only be forwards or backwards by one so it can do a perfect rotation of players. On games like chess or checkers, it is automatic, so you get to pick what pieces you'll play when the game starts. All it tells you to do is which side goes first.

The touch screen allows you to touch spaces of where your pieces can move. In games with dice, you tap the die/dice to roll it. The number generated is completely random. You first roll the dice, then it will let you move your pieces. You tap the touch screen one space at a time to move your pieces. When your turn is up, it will automatically move to the next player. Another interesting feature is that it can detect cheating. If you were caught cheating, a buzzer sound will go off, the red light on the side with the disc drive will flash, and you'll hear a voice that informs you about cheating and what you did wrong. Basically speaking, it will force you to play fair. If someone wins the game, the green light next to the red light will flash, a party sound will go off, and you'll hear a voice about the winner.

When you're in a game, there is a question mark you can tap. It will load up the rules page so you can see. There's also a difficulty mode. Making it easier only takes out some of the rules (like in Trouble, you can move any piece no matter what you're roll is). Making it harder adds rules (like in Monopoly, it will disqualify you if you went to jail three times). Keeping it at medium will make the games stick with their traditional rules.

Uploading, Saving, and Charging:

There's good news, bad news, and average news.

The good news is that you can upload your pictures to it, but only from a computer, and it's specifically for the puzzle games. So you can do your puzzles without using the pre-installed pictures for puzzles. It also has an internet feature, where you can connect to the store to buy digital versions of board games or other add-ons. Plus, you can redeem your gift cards to the console, but only through the internet.

Here is the bad news. No matter how far are you in a board game, once you quit the board game, it will not save your progress. It can save pictures and DLC for some games, but it will not save progresses in games or track how many wins. Do real board games track the number of wins on each player? If not, then this console can't.

Finally, I have the average news. It has a rechargable battery. You can plug in the charger to charge the console. There is a color-changing light on the same side the disc drive is on. It changes colors based on battery life, as well as if it's charging or not. It will only be off if it was fully charged or unplugged when the console is turned off.

Games:

The board game console can play almost any board game. But there are some games it can't play. Games such as Mouse Trap, Perfection, and Let's Go Fishin' are better off if they were physical board games than digital. The digital version takes out the fun. Games like Monopoly and others with a lot of pieces are better off as digital board games since the physical versions have a lot of pieces (even though an electronic banking version of Monopoly exists). And other games such as Trouble, Sorry, and classic games where the first one to make it to the finish line wins are no better or worse on any version. The games that are better as physical board games than digital board games will not be available for the console.

There are even some games pre-installed to the console. The only six games it has at the beginning are in the public domain, with three of them being real board games. Checkers, Chess, and Backgammon are the pre-installed board games. You can choose what colors you want your pieces to be. In Chess, you have a classic version and two science versions. One of them is the solar system where you have gas planets fight against terrestrial planets. Another is the atomic version, where you have two different colors of the same kind, but with atoms as pawns, sun as king, moon as queen, and atom parts as the other pieces.

The other pre-installed games are Puzzle King, where you can do jigsaw puzzles and slide puzzles, Card King, where you have several card games to play, and Hangman, where one player gets to choose the word or phrase as the other gets to guess.

I will not talk about the trademark games since this console is not invented yet, but contracts can be made to make board game CDs.

Advantages/Disadvantages:

Advantages:

• Less pieces to carry
  • Portable
  • Can save uploaded images
  • Senses cheating
  • Smarter than the standard board games
  • More space efficient

Disadvantages:

• Expensive
  • Doesn't support all board games
  • Battery life is as long as 3DS's
  • Heavier than board games

That is all for today. Just like how I had a board game idea very early in my blog, I have the future of board gaming. In your comments, I would like some opinions on whether or not if it's a good idea.

Back