"Controlling" where houses appear.

I really need to stop time traveling... but I wanted to see if I could get this to work after getting 9 villagers.
So...

BUT ANYWAY, I GOT IT TO WORK FOR PEOPLE THAT ALREADY GOT 9 VILLAGERS. You can just skip to the how to do it area if you don't wanna read the whole thing.

HYPOTHESIS:
The game will eventually need to give me new villagers. After enough days, there should be a 100% chance of getting a new villager.

DAY 0 OF TESTING:
  1. Soleil Moves Out. The area where her house was once in is now empty.

DAY 1 OF TESTING:
  1. After resetting several times, I notice that most of the time I just get empty plots. Occasionally, I'll see a fenced plot for a villager that I dislike so I just reset the game in hopes of getting something else. But 90% of the time I get maps with no new villagers moving in.
  2. Finally, I get annoyed and save with empty plot. Nobody moves in today.
  3. I go in with my mayor and perform my daily chores.

THE EVENTS OF DAY 1 REPEATED THEMSELVES DURING DAY(S) 2 - 6

DAY 7 OF TESTING:
  1. I log into the game to see that Hazel is trying to move in! (she keeps trying to move in, btw. I play via WiFi with a friend a lot and Hazel left her town recently. I'm guessing that she is trying to move to my town after she left Mew's town?)
  2. I reset the game. And make a new character to see that Flo is moving in.
  3. I reset again. This time Mira is moving in. I really like her, but I reset again for the sake of science!
  4. I reset again. This time Ren?e is moving in. I really like her, but I reset again for the sake of science!
  5. I reset again. This time Paula is moving in.
  6. I reset again. This time Flo is moving in. Again =___=
  7. I reset again. This time Shari is moving in.
  8. I reset again. This time Charlise is moving in.
  9. I reset again. This time Katt is moving in.
  10. I reset again. This time Frita is moving in.
  11. After resetting the game 10 times and finding a new fenced plot each time, I have assumed that on the 7th day there will be a 100% chance of finding a fenced plot.

HOW TO DO IT:
  1. The next day after a villager moves out, start the game with a new character. If you find a fenced plot for a villager that you do not like, reset the game without saving. Save the game if you either:
    a) find fenced plot for a character that you do like
    or
    b) a map with no fenced plots.
    **note: do not waste your time resetting if you don't find any fenced plots. just save**
  2. Go and play with your mayor as you normally would (at this point you could delete the new character that you have created.)
  3. Repeat all of these steps throughout the beginning of the following days until you either:
    a) find a fenced plot for a villager that you do like
    b) get to day 7​
  4. On the seventh day, you will find a fenced plot every time. At this point you can just keep making new characters and reset the game over and over until you find something that you like.

WARNINGS:
DON'T time travel unless you do it little by litt;e and talk to every villager that you'd like to keep, otherwise you run the risk of losing one of your favorite villagers.

PROS:
  1. you will have more control over who moves in and where they move in.

CONS:
  1. it is very time consuming and boring.
  2. saving the game requires that you get a tent... this means that your grass will die in that area. it is recommended that you build your house in the same place each time (unless you're okay with having 7 large areas with missing grass.)

Drago (sixth villager) is unpacking his boxes today
Will definitely be trying this tomorrow for the seventh villager, and the eighth and ninth :p

Wait, I'm confused. I started the game with my Mayor to realise that Agnes has placed her fence outside my town hall. I reset without saving and made a new character, but the house is still there. Am I well and truly buggered or do I just have to keep resetting?

Wait, I'm confused. I started the game with my Mayor to realise that Agnes has placed her fence outside my town hall. I reset without saving and made a new character, but the house is still there. Am I well and truly buggered or do I just have to keep resetting?

It didn't work because you started the game with your mayor. Once you see the fenced area with your mayor its too late :(

It didn't work because you started the game with your mayor. Once you see the fenced area with your mayor its too late :(
Welp, that sucks. The villager is an ugly pig too, I hate her already.

Thanks for telling me!

I'm testing this now with my cafe location. Wish I knew about this earlier before Pompom moved into the spot below me. As soon as she moves though, I'm doing this trick.

Did anyone else notice that when you destroy a character house, there's a bunch of dirt where the house used to be? x.x As if it killed the grass underneath. (or maybe the spot I chose always had that dirt and destroying the trees to build the house just made it show more...)

Very excited to try this tomorrow... hopefully i can get really nice seventh,eighth and ninth villagers in good locations. I know one is definitely moving in tomorrow as villagers keep mentioning someone at the station :)

Well... I talked about making the new character a house then right after I talked about the house going away once I delete the character. o.o Thought it seemed obvious but thanks for the answer.

Ah I just misread your comment, no biggie :D

Thanks for all the replies and info on if it works so far! Wish I knew about this before the bear moved right in front of town hall... Anyways Ill update the faq with new info from some of your posts.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Wow Pocky thanks for all the info! Your research cleared up a lot of issues on the matter.

I wonder if this works with camper villagers moving in? I convinced Ken the Crow/Chicken to move in this morning, so I expect to see his land plot tomorrow. I wonder if I make a new character first thing tomorrow, will I be able to choose his spot?

Or will he get randomized? Hmmm. I dunno if I'm brave enough to try. >.< I have blocked off most of the "do not build" areas already, and I really want Ken! XD I might try it with my next camper to see though!

If we could get this to stay on the first page for new players and experienced alike that would be nice.

No wonder! I tried this on my own, but with my mayor character. I quit without saving only to find that the same disliked villager still plans to move in the next day. Almost like it saved that, but nothing else. Ill have to try this, so far cycling out my unwanted characters has proven rather unsuccessful. One disliked is replaced by another one. Thank you for posting this!

No wonder! I tried this on my own, but with my mayor character. I quit without saving only to find that the same disliked villager still plans to move in the next day. Almost like it saved that, but nothing else. Ill have to try this, so far cycling out my unwanted characters has proven rather unsuccessful. One disliked is replaced by another one. Thank you for posting this!

your welcome! Just glad to help. Though I can't take all the credit, a lot of people did the research to see what works and doesn't plus the original poster (the link) deserves the most.

UPDATE ON MY RESEARCH:
It seems that when you're resetting the game, you're choosing villagers from a list and not from all villagers that are available.

After resetting my game for a few hours, I noticed that I was getting a lot of the same villagers over and over and that I wasn't getting anything new. At one point, I reset 25 times in a row and every fenced plot that appeared was for a villager that had already appeared during a previous reset. So in the end I ended up choosing Fuchsia since she wasn't as hideous as many of the other options (ie Katt, Hazel.)

This sounds like way too time consuming for me, but good luck to you with this method! I think it's cool that it works. :)

UPDATE ON MY RESEARCH:
It seems that when you're resetting the game, you're choosing villagers from a list and not from all villagers that are available.

After resetting my game for a few hours, I noticed that I was getting a lot of the same villagers over and over and that I wasn't getting anything new. At one point, I reset 25 times in a row and every fenced plot that appeared was for a villager that had already appeared during a previous reset. So in the end I ended up choosing Fuchsia since she wasn't as hideous as many of the other options (ie Katt, Hazel.)

It will be the personality type you dont have.. that will keep getting chosen :)

Back