Concern about students with math and languages

chillv

Bells
Dusty Scroll
I am beginning to become concerned about the way students are learning particularly language and math. Mostly because these methods are damaging in the aspect of pursuing higher math and more advanced or professional language learning.

I understand a lot of this has to do with the pedagogy of traditional education with stuff like rote and such, but still...

I see all these math students who only learn things on a step-by-step, by the book level which is REALLY bad if they happen to be students who actually want to learn math on a more complex level. Even for students who aren't, I'm not so fund of what I see.

There's students who don't know or understand even the simplest of concepts they learn in math. They simply just follow the "steps". I see so many memorizing and using formulas they don't even understand the origin of, properties they don't know the logic behind, and even postulates and theorems that they don't even understand about even if they are quite simple.

This becomes a problem when they are encountered with trickier math problems where they can't just use the "steps" they learned but also their logical reasoning and problem solving skills. When they do figure out how to do these problems, they often don't necessarily know the logic behind everything they did and how it comes together. I also see a lot of students depending on calculators and having no idea what exactly the calculations are as well.

This is ironic, considering that problem solving, logic and understanding the reasoning behind mathematical concepts is literally like what math is supposed to be XD and often the origins of a lot of the stuff we learn in math are based on this and that how they were discovered. In fact, most of this is what shows the underlying beauty of math.

It's ridiculous that I see this happen as all of these things are kinda supposed to be the point in math. This also creates a false stigma that math is some alienating subject that only "nerds" can understand and be good at, which is not true.

I'm also not fund of words that teachers say such as "cancel out" and "isolate the variable", as although they make sense, it leaves some students even more confused on what exactly is going on unless said students already know the concept behind these things in depth. Otherwise they begin to just think stuff is just magically disappearing and happening.

The same also goes for language students, who spend a bunch of time memorizing conjugation patterns, grammar and translations to vocabulary without having much background information on the linguistics of the language they learn or cultural/dialectual effects on the language that are crucial to fluency. This unfortunately leads to a shock when students encounter real-life situations where what they learned from school isn't necessarily what is said by native speakers.

This gets even more hilarious when teachers or courses mention that their reading or listening comprehension exercises are "authentic". I can say from experience that they aren't necessarily completely off from real-life ones, but they definitely aren't super authentic.

Often times students end up just learning language like a machine as if there is an input and output process to learning and understanding it, which unfortunately isn't completely the case at all. There are often dialectual differences that some languages have and degree can vary from language to language. Some words have cultural significance to them that reflect their connation and overall usage. Often there are untranslatable words that although you can learn what they mean, that they have either so many possible contextual translations that an English word wouldn't necessarily suffice as a translation, or no real word in English that can be a true synonym to the word.

I know none of this is necessarily the fault of the students, but it sucks to see students be enrolled in these classes and only able to know what they learned on a superficial level than having true understanding, considering that these classes are kinda supposed to be about understanding and learning the concepts I mentioned in both subjects. It's not like our history, humanities and science classes where if a student was to just to choose to learn the material on a deeper level rather than memorize it, they will see the underlying significance of what they learned. In the case of math and languages, there isn't much they can do besides seek outside sources, which unfortunately because of the varying degrees of quality in doing that and the exact things they'd have to look for, that's pretty horrible from an educational standpoint as they should able to be learning that from these classes alone.

I can't say this accounts for all courses and schools. I also don't think I'm alone on this, as I believe I've heard teachers complain about this themselves. It's just annoying to see this, as I feel that students could have a better understanding of these subjects.

In addition, I feel that this is what generally accounts for a lot of students just learning this and just forgetting how to do it, as they don't have any connections drawn to any of it, which they really should.

I'm not familiar with pedagogy at all, as I'm not a teacher (despite the tone I might be writing this in could make me sound likd one XD) and only a student myself, so I'm not necessarily sure about exactly ways to improve on this, however I am wondering on your personal experience. Is your school classes, students and teachers different? Do you personally have different or similar understanding of these subjects? I'd like to know.

While I don't remember how it felt learning another language, I definitely remember issues with learning math. I've never been very good at it aside from the basics, which even then I sometimes still mess up from doing it too quick. Throughout my whole experience as a student, math was always taught to us in the way you described. Memorize the pattern of the example problem, then do 30-70 math problems that "follow" the same pattern. However, I always had trouble with this because a majority of the problems listed were much more complicated than the pattern. When I'd ask for help understanding, I'd just be told "Look at the example problem, it's not that difficult."

And you know where that led me? Nowhere. Only one teacher ever tried to help me, and that was in geometry. He went out of his way to make time for me to come see him to try to explain problems to me and the reason why the math equations work. Honestly though, even then, I just didn't understand. "Why do we do this here when in this similar problem, we do something completely different?" Sometimes he'd get frustrated and we'd move on. In the end, he felt so bad for me that he bumped my grade up just to pass the class because even though he tried to help me, I still didn't get it.

The math for college though was the worse. We were literally put on a computer program and if we didn't understand, too bad. The math lab techs and the overseeing teacher refused to help. I'm thankful I managed a low C in that class as a straight up D at my college isn't passing in the math department.

I feel like there has to be someway that math could be taught better, or for certain subjects in math to not be mandatory unless that specific student would like it to be (obviously if there are enough students, that is) or if they're going for a math degree. In high school and in college now, there are definitely students who enjoy math and want to continue it, in my experience, so I don't think it'd be an issue. Making people suffer for not understanding math doesn't seem right to me and I feel it shouldn't be held accountable against them. I almost didn't graduate high school, had it not been for that one teacher changing my grade to make it passing. It's not like I begged him to either, as I accepted my fate. He did it because he saw I genuinely tried to understand and I never missed a day I had to see him, but felt bad because I still didn't get it in the end.

I had always been the type to be better at any other subject except math. I wasn't horrible with the subject I just didn't feel like I did my best, If that makes sense. Ever since I was little I had always been self conscious about the subject to where I never asked for help whenever I needed it. Not to mention I would doubt myself during tests to where it would end up to me getting the wrong answer instead of the one I picked originally.

I overthink too much;;;

Especially since I was in an advanced class so everyone(teachers and other students) had extreme high expectations for us. As our class specialized more in math than anything else(rlly hated that bc my favorite subject was science and we would barely get the same amount of time we get for math class).

Siiighhhhhh I always felt that if I didn't know math I would immediately be "stupid," It rlly was a suckish way of thinking lol.

BUT I rlly hope to change that way of thinking in HS!!!

maybe this was a bit off topic lol,,,,

Siiighhhhhh I always felt that if I didn't know math I would immediately be "stupid," It rlly was a suckish way of thinking lol.

I can totally understand your thinking but at the schools I've been to, people would immediately think you're "stupid" equally because you didn't understand. They thought you were "stupid" for asking so many questions and in your private time (aka not during teaching time/lecture but during when everyone was doing their assignment and you could personally ask questions.) Even teachers assumed you were just "stupid" for not understanding, or that you just weren't trying even when you tried so hard in front of them.

I believe that we all have our own skill sets that we are born with. Like, you have to learn a skill set, but maybe you just understand it better and excel better than the student next to you because you were just born that way. I don't think that is something to be ashamed of and believe that's one of the ways we're different from each other.

SORRY if I kinda got off topic in response to you. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong if you felt like you needed to know math. Ultimately, we know what's best for ourselves.

I can totally understand your thinking but at the schools I've been to, people would immediately think you're "stupid" equally because you didn't understand. They thought you were "stupid" for asking so many questions and in your private time (aka not during teaching time/lecture but during when everyone was doing their assignment and you could personally ask questions.) Even teachers assumed you were just "stupid" for not understanding, or that you just weren't trying even when you tried so hard in front of them.

I believe that we all have our own skill sets that we are born with. Like, you have to learn a skill set, but maybe you just understand it better and excel better than the student next to you because you were just born that way. I don't think that is something to be ashamed of and believe that's one of the ways we're different from each other.

SORRY if I kinda got off topic in response to you. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong if you felt like you needed to know math. Ultimately, we know what's best for ourselves.

No don't apologize! I completely needed that !!!! thank you

@Kautalya

Nah, it's fine

Lol, it's ironic that I'm speaking on this, as I myself struggled with math and hated it as I was younger, but as I grew older and started playing around with it and going outside of school to figure out things about what I learned and ended up being proficient with it, but it wasn't because of school at all, and that's what I hated about it and part of why I made this thread because it really shouldn't be like that.

Back