• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Coming out stories

I'm not really in a safe enough place to "officially" come out. It's something that's very obvious to my family, but they choose to be in denial over it.

With everybody else in my life besides my family, I'm out and proud.

i came out to my friends at school today actually! i can't come out to my family and most people so i can't officially transition though because of my dad
two of my teachers refer to me by my preferred name :D

Last edited:
My friends were talking about hot boys, and when they asked my opinion I didn't like either and had to explain I'm asexual.
That ended up confusing them more, so now they think I don't feel anything.

I never really had a coming out story. One day one of my friends was like, "You would date either genders right?" and my answer was like "Heck yeah". All my friends just kinda knew I wouldn't mind dating either genders lol :'))))

I never really came out. I just decided that I wouldn't hide it anymore.

It took a decade of writing and producing LGBT novels and short films, and holding a position as an LGBT representative for a year, before my parents directly asked me. They didn't react when I told them. It's like they'd just asked if I wanted a cup of tea and then the conversation changed topic. It was the best way they could have handled it. No fuss whatsoever. I already knew they were very much in support of the LGBT community so I had no fears.

I don't care about coming out as bi because it's not a huge part of my identity, it just seems normal to me.

My parents don't necessarily have a problem with gays, but I think they'd just rather me not be one. When I was in college and more open with my mom, her response to me bringing up a girl was "your sister went through that phase too". She only ever talks about me getting a boyfriend so either she has a selective memory or doesn't want to believe I'm bisexual. It's a bit tough because I've had to move back home after college and am seeing someone long-distance. Our meet-ups have been kept secret, but if it were a guy I know my parents would be supportive and 100% want to facilitate our visits.

the way i've identified (in terms of sexuality) have changed throughout the past few years, going from
asexual > grayromantic asexual > aromantic asexual > bi???? aroace-spec
yeah.. i'm currently in the last one and kind of entering a territory where labels start to not really apply anymore (and thankfully i don't feel like i have to rely on them anymore, as i did a year ago and labels made me feel better, like i belonged somewhere).
so, i'm kind of loose. i'm out to friends, and we're all very casual about it. kind of like, "i think i'm x" and "nice!" and that's about it, unless we're helping each other w/ questioning. with my friends it's very casual and i don't worry about coming out in any ways, really.

with my family, i just keep it to myself. i'm very lucky to have a supportive family so i know i will not face rejection if i do but.. i just don't. it feels like too much effort to explain, and i don't like being interrogated. and i'm okay with them not knowing. i almost feel safer like that.

I came out to my best friend who came out to me 8 years ago. Told my mother the next day, and thats when I learned that both her and my step-father are Bisexual aswell, so that comforted me a lot. Told my other two best friends the same night as my mother, they both accepted me. Told my girlfriend like a week later, she accepted it at that time, but had hella questions a few days later, and she's still adjusting to it to this day, even though literally nothing about me has changed. Told my step-father, but he just reiterated the same thing my mom said about them, but accepted me none-the-less

While I guess you could say I've "came out" to strangers on the internet and had them throw slurs or derogatory things at me, when it comes to how people I actually care about have responded, I luckily haven't had a bad coming out experience so far, although I'm still closeted to most people.

Since I'm considering medically transitioning within the next few years though, I probably won't have a choice to not come out starting relatively soon...

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I ended up 100% fully coming out 7 months after making this post! I wanted to give an update. It went so well! I was pretty surprised that no one even really questioned it. I got a few people who were outright supportive, but even the people that weren't, they more just ignored my coming out post, and that could have even been for other reasons than that they didn't support me.

I actually haven't formally come out as bi, but I'm hoping to make a little blurb when Bi Visibility Day comes around that should hopefully make it apparent.

Last edited:
Back