• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Coco isn't a Gyroid???

Charlise

animal crosser
Bells
Mint
Tasty Cake
Yellow Cosmos
This is just a theory, but I don't think Coco is a gyroid. She looks like a Coconut to me, and that may also explain why her name is Coco(nut).

Don't believe me? Look at this:

Coconut.jpg Coco.jpg

Gyroids are something buried with dead people so I doubt she is one.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Honestly through she probably means two things in two different countries:
"Her Japanese name is a reference to the Yayoi Period (300BC-AD300) in Japan, during which Haniwa statues first appeared. This explains why her appearance is often compared to a Gyroid's, which are called haniwa in Japanese. Her English name probably comes from the coconut, a fruit known to have three holes. "
Same as one character is a male in Japan and female in the western versions of the game.

Gyroids are something buried with dead people so I doubt she is one.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Honestly through she probably means two things in two different countries:
"Her Japanese name is a reference to the Yayoi Period (300BC-AD300) in Japan, during which Haniwa statues first appeared. This explains why her appearance is often compared to a Gyroid's, which are called haniwa in Japanese. Her English name probably comes from the coconut, a fruit known to have three holes. "
Same as one character is a male in Japan and female in the western versions of the game.

Yeah, I agree, there are a lot of differences between the Japanese and Western versions, including festivals and genders. Coco is probably supposed to be a coconut in the western version, and a gyroid in the Japanese

Yeah, I agree, there are a lot of differences between the Japanese and Western versions, including festivals and genders. Coco is probably supposed to be a coconut in the western version, and a gyroid in the Japanese

I personally really like her but I have a feeling people find her creepy and don't want her.

i would say that she IS a gyroid or at the very least themed as a gyroid, although she looks somwhat like a coconut, the freckle like dots on her body and the weird line/stripe on her head has a striking resemblance to the gyroids

ymDnRYm.jpg --> Coco_-_Animal_Crossing_New_Leaf.jpg

i would say that she IS a gyroid or at the very least themed as a gyroid, although she looks somwhat like a coconut, the freckle like dots on her body and the weird line/stripe on her head has a striking resemblance to the gyroids

View attachment 178438 --> View attachment 178439

As I said earlier, in the Japanese version, Coco was based off of a gyroid. She isn't supposed to be a gyroid in the western version, but her design stayed the same.

- - - Post Merge - - -

View attachment 178438 --> View attachment 178439

Also, coconuts have freckles on them, but not the stripe

As I said earlier, in the Japanese version, Coco was based off of a gyroid. She isn't supposed to be a gyroid in the western version, but her design stayed the same.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, coconuts have freckles on them, but not the stripe

even so i'd still think of her as a gyroid in both versions

So guys, I found this on http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Coco

"The majority of Coco's character theme seems to revolve around death and old regional Japanese funerary traditions. This is foremost evident due to her resemblance to a haniwa, and even more so because the imperfections in her clay structure signify that she is of the kind of haniwa that is made by working the ashes of the deceased into the clay of the statue. Between the type of haniwa that she is and the purpose of which haniwa were created to serve, the conclusion can be drawn that Coco is essentially a deceased ghost character who currently possesses an artificial body that is made from her own dead and cremated body. Her home in the later main franchise installments is furnished to resemble an ancient crematorium, featuring bonfire pillars for cremating bodies, urns to store the ashes, the haniwa which were made with the ashes, and screens which those grieving the dead would pray behind. The song being played in her house is the eerie song K.K. Dirge; a 'dirge' being a type of traditional western funeral march song."

This is the scariest thing I've read in some time.

Last edited:
If i know anything...the japanese are waaaaaay less concerned about things than us westerners are XD
Usually japanese versions of things contain way more voilance, way more nudity etc etc, and then we take the game and make it more 'appropriate'
Its happened so many times with so many different things - games, anime, manga. Theres massive differences between japanese anime/manga and english. They take out so much of the juicy bits.

Soooooooo my guess is.. the japanese based coco off of gyroids, and theeeeen when we got our hands on it and took one look at her, we thought 'nahhh thats not something appropriate for a game that little kids can also play' soo they changed her origin from being a gyroid..to being a coconut, so she seemed less frightening :p
TADA -

"The majority of Coco's character theme seems to revolve around death and old regional Japanese funerary traditions. This is foremost evident due to her resemblance to a haniwa, and even more so because the imperfections in her clay structure signify that she is of the kind of haniwa that is made by working the ashes of the deceased into the clay of the statue. Between the type of haniwa that she is and the purpose of which haniwa were created to serve, the conclusion can be drawn that Coco is essentially a deceased ghost character who currently possesses an artificial body that is made from her own dead and cremated body. Her home in the later main franchise installments is furnished to resemble an ancient crematorium, featuring bonfire pillars for cremating bodies, urns to store the ashes, the haniwa which were made with the ashes, and screens which those grieving the dead would pray behind. The song being played in her house is the eerie song K.K. Dirge; a 'dirge' being a type of traditional western funeral march song."

I wouldn't call it scary. Just interesting.

- - - Post Merge - - -

If i know anything...the japanese are waaaaaay less concerned about things than us westerners are XD
Usually japanese versions of things contain way more voilance, way more nudity etc etc, and then we take the game and make it more 'appropriate'
Its happened so many times with so many different things - games, anime, manga. Theres massive differences between japanese anime/manga and english. They take out so much of the juicy bits.

Soooooooo my guess is.. the japanese based coco off of gyroids, and theeeeen when we got our hands on it and took one look at her, we thought 'nahhh thats not something appropriate for a game that little kids can also play' soo they changed her origin from being a gyroid..to being a coconut, so she seemed less frightening :p
TADA -

Yeah westerners can't accept harsh stuff... Kinda hard to be living in Europe if you have a different point of view.
Each time I say something that seems inappropriate but wouldn't be in Asian countries everyone moves away.

TADA -

i agree, they shouldnt be changing things just because it'll spoop the kids

well there ya go......... thats the end of that :p
thats all the evidence you need haha

i agree, they shouldnt be changing things just because it'll spoop the kids

I am still angry they removed rasseti from not being optional because he scared kids... when I was 8-9 years old I didn't get scared by him. I just found him annoying... kids are too sensitive these days.

I am still angry they removed rasseti from not being optional because he scared kids... when I was 8-9 years old I didn't get scared by him. I just found him annoying... kids are too sensitive these days.

yea, but atleast theres an option for him, which is cool i guess

Tell me about it guys :p
It sucks what they do to all the english versions >.>
with anime and manga, i ALWAYS watch the jap versions, watching anime in english is like... having a sandwhich without any filling.

Back