Mario Charles Martinet Retiring As Voice of Mario

It was inevitable, but I'm sad nonetheless.

My only real concern is that they'll hire Chris Pratt or a Chris Pratt soundalike for future titles. Ignoring my feelings towards the movie, I would hate to see game Mario make such a dramatic change after all these years.

I don't have any issue with it. I am sure whoever will take the mantle next will do a good job. Some may disapprove, but that is only natural.

I'm sad about it but I think they honestly deserve a well rest. They have been Mario forever, and now its time for him to hang up his cap.

oh this is so sad but understandable as well i guess! it was inevitable but this is so bittersweet! he definitely deserves to wind down and rest after all these years. he's leaving big mario shaped shoes to fill and i'm curious to see who they pick to take on the voice acting role 👀 please god, anyone but chris pratt please

some people were claiming that mario sounds different in the new game, if they're right then whoever they hired as a replacement is doing it right bc i couldnt tell 😭, I doubt they would hire someone and let them do mario differently, he's no different than mickey mouse or bugs bunny at this point. they'll just get someone to do charles style

Imagine if they pull a Sonic and used a woman to voice him (yes sonic was voiced by a woman once, and it was only for one game). I would burst out laughing but I hope this doesn't happen.

image.png

I pray that Martinet will continue to voice the heated political discourse in my head.

I recall people commenting that some of the lines from Mario and Wario sounded different during the last direct. It's possible this is related to that. Perhaps someone was already filling in lines or Charles was losing his iconic voice and had to step down. It's sort of like how Homer and Marge from Simpsons have the same VA but it's so obvious Marge's voice is so different now because the VA's vocal chords have been ruined doing Marge's raspy voice for like 30 years? It's possible Charles is finding himself in the same boat.

I recall people commenting that some of the lines from Mario and Wario sounded different during the last direct. It's possible this is related to that. Perhaps someone was already filling in lines or Charles was losing his iconic voice and had to step down. It's sort of like how Homer and Marge from Simpsons have the same VA but it's so obvious Marge's voice is so different now because the VA's vocal chords have been ruined doing Marge's raspy voice for like 30 years? It's possible Charles is finding himself in the same boat.
Nintendo has already confirmed that Martinet won't be reprising his roles in Wonder, so it stands to reason that the voice we heard during that Direct was that of his replacement.

I was hoping to that Wonder and the Super Mario RPG remake would be a proper send-off for him, as they are the two games I am most looking forward to this year, but alas.

I'm a bit sad about it. I met Charles Martinet when he was visiting the UK and he was such a genuinely nice guy, and probably the only one who was offering to sign items and photos for free. Felt surreal hearing 'Luigi' say my name and tell me I'm number one. I'm glad that he's staying on as the Mario ambassador at least.

Hopefully the Wonder voices are the new ones, since they don't seem too bad at all.

Well, this is sad. I can’t believe this is happening. He was amazing, but I guess all good things have to come to an end 😭. No, I’m not crying, what makes you think that?

i went back to watch the super mario bros. wonder trailer and i don't know if i'm gaslighting myself into hearing a tiny tinge of a difference with mario's voice....but that could also me looking for inconsistences after the fact (it's probably that to be honest know me LOL) i don't think i would have noticed that mario's voice is different until maybe playing the game myself for a bit?

part of me was kinda hoping that they could just use almost like a voice bank? of like, mario-isms? the man doesn't really talk much aside from y'know, wah hoos and what not. so i kinda feel like it could have been done... but maybe that's just me being sad and wistful....oh mario

Nintendo has already confirmed that Martinet won't be reprising his roles in Wonder, so it stands to reason that the voice we heard during that Direct was that of his replacement.

I was hoping to that Wonder and the Super Mario RPG remake would be a proper send-off for him, as they are the two games I am most looking forward to this year, but alas.
Right. I just remembered some interview where the VA for Bowser was talking about how he lost/hurt his voice during a recording for Bowser with the cat-power up. Apparently his throat actually bled from the recording of the intense cat-lion like growls he did. So that and how Marge's raspy voice ruined the VA vocal cords just made me wonder earlier if Charles had to step down for the same reason.

But it looks like he was looking to just retire, which is fine. It's better that it happened on a happy note and on his own terms rather than being forcefully removed. He definitely has down enough and left enough of a legacy to just kick back and relax and let someone else take the reins.

i thought mario sounded different in the new super mario wonder trailer but i didn't think too much about it. i wonder what "mario ambassador" entails? he definitely deserves a good retirement.

Well, that told us absolutely nothing.
Charles is probably going to go around to key places to promote the games like he had done during previous game releases. Super Mario Sunshine had him dressed up in a tropical vacation like getup as he promoted the game at cons. The ambassador role is just him stepping down just as PR role during big events. Probably for Nintendo to show honor/respect to someone who has been with their company and helped pave the voice of Mario for so many years. It would just be in poor taste for them to give the boot all the way to Charles and they know it.

Plus they never gave a live statement that I am aware of. So it'd also be in poor taste not to do that for his legacy.

i went back to watch the super mario bros. wonder trailer and i don't know if i'm gaslighting myself into hearing a tiny tinge of a difference with mario's voice....but that could also me looking for inconsistences after the fact (it's probably that to be honest know me LOL) i don't think i would have noticed that mario's voice is different until maybe playing the game myself for a bit?

part of me was kinda hoping that they could just use almost like a voice bank? of like, mario-isms? the man doesn't really talk much aside from y'know, wah hoos and what not. so i kinda feel like it could have been done... but maybe that's just me being sad and wistful....oh mario
Audio recording quality in the future may be what Nintendo is thinking about, or a noticable voice difference between movies and games from different voice actors since Mario is getting so much attention now. Plus, Nintendo would have to sign a contract with Martinet to continue use his voice and stuff. Nintendo may not want to do limits and conditions that come with it, lock in time, and expense. Martinet may not want to for various reasons.

Back