• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Can you change the language?

caitlin1245

Bells
Animal crossing happy home designer is out in Japan in July but its not out in my country til October, if I order the game from Japan when it comes out will I be able to make the language English or will it be in Japanese? My 3DS is English so will it automatically change the language?

You won't be able to change the language for the reasons that the game is simply in Japanese without fully being translated in English and because an English 3DS can't show Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji/Furigana characters in a way as it needs to with a game.

Last edited:
It won't work because the 3DS is region locked. You say it comes out in October so I'm guessing your region is Europe/Australia? That would be the PAL region so you can only play European or Australian games on your 3DS.

If you bought the game from Germany or France, it will translate the game to English for you but you probably will get a German box and it comes out in October there as well.

It won't work because the 3DS is region locked. You say it comes out in October so I'm guessing your region is Europe/Australia? That would be the PAL region so you can only play European or Australian games on your 3DS.

If you bought the game from Germany or France, it will translate the game to English for you but you probably will get a German box and it comes out in October there as well.

Indeed, Germany and France always somehow have the advantage of getting a native language-fitting version with almost every nintendo game.

Animal crossing happy home designer is out in Japan in July but its not out in my country til October, if I order the game from Japan when it comes out will I be able to make the language English or will it be in Japanese? My 3DS is English so will it automatically change the language?

It would be useless importing the Japanese version if you don't have a Japanese 3DS (which you seem to be implying), because Nintendo is still at the age of region locking.
This doesn't really seem to be a dialogue-oriented game, so if you still want to spend the money getting both a new 3DS and a game, go ahead if you want.

It would be useless importing the Japanese version if you don't have a Japanese 3DS (which you seem to be implying), because Nintendo is still at the age of region locking.
This doesn't really seem to be a dialogue-oriented game, so if you still want to spend the money getting both a new 3DS and a game, go ahead if you want.

I'm importing it, but I've been thinking about if I can't translate the "style" house the villager wants :p

I'm importing it, but I've been thinking about if I can't translate the "style" house the villager wants :p

Since the whole game is about following people's directions basically, it might be hard if you don't have basic Japanese skills. But the Japanese version of ACNL doesn't use a lot of kanji since it's targeted to both kids and adults so it won't be hard to translate, it'll just take a lot of time.

Since the whole game is about following people's directions basically, it might be hard if you don't have basic Japanese skills. But the Japanese version of ACNL doesn't use a lot of kanji since it's targeted to both kids and adults so it won't be hard to translate, it'll just take a lot of time.

I know basic Japanese and I have a translator on my phone, plus the villagers give you an idea with the item they provide :)

Like others said, there's not an option to change the language in the Japanese 3DS, and Happy Home Designer doesn't seem to include more than one, so you'll be stuck with that language forever. As if I can't stress it enough, it's a very tricky language to learn in the eyes of an average English person due of its intricacies that aren't normally found in pretty much any Latin language, especially the kanjis when you don't have a good-enough learning method of them. Here, commitment is a must if you really wish to be able to fluently master the language.

Language barrier isn't the only thing that's potentially going to dampen the enjoyment of playing a Japanese-only game, but there's also the cost of importing the system, games and whatnot outside of your region, especially on anything related to current-gen video games. Japan normally price them a bit higher than in Europe, and you'll most likely have to pay fees on getting your import orders shipped all the way to your home, depending on where you live and the method of shipping. A Japanese standard 3DS and a typical import 3DS game compatible with the system's region will run you for at least $175 USD without the shipping fees, the latter of which may go up by at least $20 or even more. I don't have an accurate idea on the exact pricing due of the complexity of the customs that depends entirely on which country you're from and where you bought the product. One thing that's for certain, is that you'll end up paying more than you would if you just buy the same game in Europe for less.

Are you really importing everything you'll need just for one game? If that's the case, then I don't see that your import would worth much. Consider getting a few noteworthy 3DS games that are exclusive to Japan as well, such as E.X. Troopers, Taiko no Tatsujin games, Daigasso Band Brothers P, Puyo Puyo Tetris, any of the Dragon Quest Monsters remake, Time Travelers, Beyond the Labyrinth, Retro Game Challenge 3, Fire Emblem if (basically Fates in Japan), Inazuma Eleven 1・2・3!!, and more.

For further information on importing anything related to 3DS, check this NeoGAF thread. Do some research before taking a decision.

Sorry if I somehow got off-topic, but that much of information is worth mentioning to further help you enjoying your import.

Back