• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Bush problem?

in-a-pickle

likes apples
Bells
Tasty Cake
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Pear (Fruit)
Cake
Cherry (Fruit)
Cake
Mailbox
Alright, so I'm building a maze consisting of various bushes, and something weird happened. I am aware of the "13th bush rule" where if you plant a connected line of bushes the bush will wilt at 13. Today, when I went to check on them, I found a couple had wilted for no apparent reason.

I made sure that all bushes were:
-not touching the river bank
-had less then 13 in a line
-were not next to rocks, trees, or PWPs.

Yet these five or so bushes still wilted? I'm really confused...

I never heard about the 13 rule, but there are dead spots where bushes and trees will never grow.

Dead spots...hmm.
As in...never grow? And there's nothing you can do about it? What kind of idiotic...

Nintendo baffles me sometimes xD

Last edited:
Dead spots...hmm.
As in...never grow? And there's nothing you can do about it? What kind of idiotic...

Nintendo baffles me sometimes xD

the dead spots are there so you can't trap your villagers or have most of your town covered in trees/bushes

anyway its ?? ive never heard of 5 dead spots in a row. usually there will be just one.
im not sure if walking over bush starts actually ruins them like trees tho

But I thought that the 13th bush thing was created to prevent trapping your villagers houses. Seems the dead spot thing is kinda useless.

Regarding five dead spots in a row...I dunno, maybe I'm just horribly unlucky. The problem is my maze won't really work now...argh..

But I thought that the 13th bush thing was created to prevent trapping your villagers houses. Seems the dead spot thing is kinda useless.

Regarding five dead spots in a row...I dunno, maybe I'm just horribly unlucky. The problem is my maze won't really work now...argh..

well like even if you have the 13 rule you could still cover your town in trees/bushes and have some holes.
idk did you walk over your bushes??

hehe, looks like you're in-a-pickle.

anyways, i doubt that making a side character and planting bushes fixes it, but it's worth a try. another thing you can try is to plant them 1 at a time and wait for them to grow the next day.

Last edited:
Thank you for this post because I didnt not know about that 13 rule.

Hmm, I had no idea that the game purposely had dead spots...
That sucks...

Like Lurrdoc said, try cascading the planting (so plant one per day).

It's tedious, but from what I've been reading, cascading the planting helps avoid wilted trees/bushes.

Alright, looks like planting one per day is what I will try, hopefully it will work! Otherwise...I might just have to dig up my whole maze *sob sob sob*

there was a thread a while back where someone had an inconvenient dead spot, so they build a PWP over it, then decided they no longer wanted it there and tore it down. Afterwards it was no longer a dead spot. You might want to try that (the dried rice decoration is the cheapest PWP to build, I think :p)

there was a thread a while back where someone had an inconvenient dead spot, so they build a PWP over it, then decided they no longer wanted it there and tore it down. Afterwards it was no longer a dead spot. You might want to try that (the dried rice decoration is the cheapest PWP to build, I think :p)

Ahh...that might be an idea. Though with the building cost, and then the wait, and then demolition, and then repeating that for each spot will take a while. But hey, if it's works that's awesome!

dried rice is less that 18k, which is like 2 bug's worth. the build+demolition time would be annoying, yes, but you can always time travel a day ahead then go right back

Back