• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Any weird ways your gaming console broke?

RemMomori

Nocturnal Scatterbrain
Bells
Switch
4787-7471-9496
Fortune Cookie
Holiday Candy Cane 2023
Tasty Cake
Squashua
Famous Mushroom
Camp Bell Tree 2023 Patch
Planet Glow Wand
Space Whale Plush
Blue Rocket Pop
Shooting Star Plush
Basically are there any weird ways you broke your console or if your console got broken in some other way, I'll go first.

PlayStation 2: I had a PS2 slim when I was really little and I wasn't a very responsible kid so I left it on the floor in front of my dresser. One day when I went to cut on the tv (on top of said dresser) I forgot the PS2 was there and stepped on it. It stopped working after that.

My first Wii: I got it when I was in second grade and this was when my younger brother was little. One day the discs wouldn't go into the disc drive and I found out that my brother put a playing card in the disc drive! Had to send it to Nintendo to be fixed, got the Wii (and the card) back a couple weeks later. That same Wii ended up not being able to play games later and had to throw it out.

My second Wii: I was more careful to not leave my brother alone with the Wii this time, but I was the one who messed up this time. I was finished playing the Wii for the day and I had to put it back in the living room (I was playing in my room) and was picking it up. I was hungry and my hands where shaky. I ended up dropping the Wii on the floor. I had carpet in my room and the drop was like 3ft(.9 meters) at most but I was SO SCARED that I broke the Wii. I didn't play for a couple days until I worked up the courage to try and it was just fine. It played games for another 2 years until the disc drive stopped working so my mom just hacked some games on there for my brothers to play. It still boots up to this day, although ever since that drop it makes a rattling noise when you shake it...

Wii U: I got my Wii U for my 13th birthday and had it for a few months until I noticed that the discs wouldn't go in. Sent it to Nintendo to be fixed under warranty and when I got it back I found out that my brother put a post it note in the disc drive (the same brother who put the card in the Wii). It was a purple post it note and I know this because I got the note back with the console. I still have this Wii U and it's 7 years old now!

i broke my 3DS XL a few years ago by putting nail polish remover in the cartridge slot. i can’t remember why i did it, i think a game wasn’t working so i tried to clean it. i was 13.

before the 3DS, i had a 2DS that i believe i broke by dropping it. the screen stopped working even after i calibrated it but luckily my mom bought me a new one.

now i have a purple 2DS XL, which i love and it’s my favorite out of all the DS consoles i’ve gone through. i’ve had it for almost 4 years so hopefully it doesn’t break from age soon.

i broke my 3DS XL a few years ago by putting nail polish remover in the cartridge slot. i can’t remember why i did it, i think a game wasn’t working so i tried to clean it. i was 13.
Nail polish remover to, remove the dirt lol? I can kinda see what you were thinking.

Nail polish remover to, remove the dirt lol? I can kinda see what you were thinking.
yeah, i looked it up on the internet and i think someone said that i could use it to clean it but i guess i used it much. it took some paint off too, im never doing that again.

I dropped a DS off a porch and it snapped in half. I’ve also broke a DS because it fell out of my pocket. I was having clothes bought for me and was limited to women’s pants with not so deep pockets. More than half of the system was sticking out of the top. Now that I can buy my own clothing, I have only men’s attire, which is what I like. Plus, the pockets are deep. I broke yet another DS by washing it with soap and water. The screen was in useable because of the bubbles. I’ve had terrible luck with the DS, unfortunately. As hard as it is to believe, I have not broken a phone ever. I take pretty good care of them, likely because I paid for my phone and the service.

One time as a kid I picked up my SEGA Dreamcast and the bottom part of it fell off and it broke? Thinking back it makes no sense since the screws should have kept it in place. And also just because the shell fell off, it should have still worked. I have no idea how it broke. Also I smashed my Gameboy Advance out of rage as a kid from Sonic Battle. Never broke another console out of anger again after I bawled my eyes out.

Luckily the only one of my consoles that died was due to age, but my 3DS "repaired" itself on a funny way.
It had a terrible joystick drift for years; I had tried to re-calibrate it multiple times, cleaning it and nothing worked. Until one day I accidentally dropped orange soda over my console and it made the joystick work again? I still don't know how that fixed it.
After 2 years it started to drift again, but it is way more manageable now (it just makes the characters walk a bit slower sometimes, they dont walk on their own or anything)

Never broke any of my consoles by accident or by my own hand. Only had your typical disc read errors and hardware failures from some of the notoriously touchy systems like PS2 and Xbox 360.

my original DS Lite has a busted lower screen bc a friend of mine was playing it forever ago and pressed too hard with the stylus. it still works but the bottom screen is mostly black and it's hard to tell where anything is.

I also don't know how but my pink 3dsxl has a nasty crack in the right hinge. still works fine but one wrong move could prob damage it permanently and idk how to get it fixed lol.

Like many people, the kickstand on my Switch broke off. I tapped the top of my system too hard while it was up and the entire thing snapped. I ended up replacing it with a Switch dock that can also be used as a kickstand.

My childhood 3DS XL's circle pad became stiff over several years of use. I'm one of those people who always pushes analog sticks to the end, so my controllers often become stiff (with some exceptions). It's at the point where the system is barely playable. Once I got a New 3DS XL I immediately transferred everything over.

I used to have a Blue Lagoon 3DS on which I was playing TLOZ: Spirit Tracks. In this game you need to blow in the microphone to play the Pan Flute. However for some reason it wouldn't work correctly and it drove me completely insane and I bit on my DS and threw it across my room. It still worked after but the wireless connection stopped working.

While not really weird, it was a bad day for me. Back when I had the original X360 during the RRoD, it happened to me while I was playing a game and I was really upset and hungry so I decided to worry about it later and make myself a sandwich. When I went to get the ham, it was expired and didn't look right so that's a memory I think about whenever I think about broken systems lol

My cousin split strawberry soda on my PS1 and it still worked for years until I gave it away

My game boy advance when I was 11… embarrassingly, I rage threw it on the ground after I couldn’t beat a level in some game. It hit the hamster ball (empty) and destroyed the lcd screen. I’ve taken care of all my electronics since 😣

I don't have anything interesting to say about me, but my dad told me a story about when he was a kid. He got angry while playing on his SNES and broke the shell. It still worked, but it was just a chunk of hardware that he would just leave in a dresser. "It dispersed a lot of heat." He says. I'm not really sure what game he was playing that made him that angry, though.

I probably further damaged my Wii Remote by throwing, hitting, or biting it during my Wii Sports sessions. XP
I also broke my Wii Motion Plus accessory one time because I was angry while playing Wii Sports Resort and threw my Wii Remote. The things that attached to the Wii Remote broke off and can only work if I tape the two together. :v

I worked at a daycare while I was in college and I'd bring my own 3DS on electronics day so I could play with the kids (they thought I was the best counselor, lol! 😋). One of my boys accidentally spilled chocolate milk on it and it fried it. I got it back to functional by leaving it in a bag of rice for a couple of days, but the control pad never fully recovered.

The weirdest way I've ever broken a console was as a child, where my first DSi broke due to water damage, because I was in such a rush to get back to it that I repeatedly didn't dry my hands properly.

My friend however, broke their DS out of smash bros induced rage, and bit the console in half, which proceeded to catch fire to her sister's shirt.

Back