• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

64 Reasons why the Nintendo 64 is the best home console

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
The Nintendo 64 turned 20 years old this year. I know it's been past its 20th Anniversary in June and its 20th Anniversary in September, but we still celebrate for Pokemon when it turned 20. VC copies of Red, Blue and Yellow, Pokken Tournament, Pokemon GO, and Pokemon Sun and Moon have been released this year. Super Mario 64 and the home console it came from also turned 20 this year.

As a result, I came up with a reasons blog for the Nintendo 64. I call this - 64 Reasons why the Nintendo 64 is the best home console. I ranked the GameCube and 3DS really high in best video game platforms, but neither of them could beat the N64. Forget that the 3DS had the best Animal Crossing games. Forget that the GameCube had a decent library (including Super Mario Sunshine, my favorite 3D Mario). Forget that the newer games have better graphics. The Nintendo 64 will always be the best console.

Normally, I detail every reason, but 64 is a lot of reasons, so I'm just going to say the summary of the reason and move on.

1. N64 units can last 20 years and still work, unlike modern consoles.
  2. N64 units were sturdy and almost unbeatable.
  3. N64 units and controllers come in many different colors.
  4. Blowing the cartridge slots make it work better.
  5. It rarely overheats.
  6. Loading times were very short or infinitesimal.
  7. It was the first console to have four players.
  8. Controllers are wired, which means no need to worry about battery life in controllers.
  9. No motion controls.
  10. Back in the N64 era, Rare ltd (which made Banjo Kazooie) worked for Nintendo.
  11. No DLC or expansion packs. All content can be unlocked by playing.
  12. No internet connection - more privacy.
  13. No online multiplayer.
  14. Games had no updates that created bugs.
  15. No games could be downloaded, which mean less hardware memory is used.
  16. No restrictions on used games.
  17. No home menu. Turn on your 64 and your game automatically starts.
  18. Internet outages have no meaning to the N64.
  19. No need for memory cards.
  20. No gamepads or touchscreens. Just regular controllers with actual buttons.
  21. Better 3D platformers.
  22. Better racing games.
  23. First person shooters were simpler.
  24. Multiplayer games were a lot better on the N64.
  25. Super Mario 64
  26. Mario Kart 64
  27. Mario Tennis
  28. Mario Golf
  29. Paper Mario
  30. Mario Party 1
  31. Mario Party 2
  32. Mario Party 3
  33. Pokemon Stadium
  34. Pokemon Stadium 2
  35. Pokemon Snap
  36. Pokemon Puzzle League
  37. Hey You Pikachu (minus voice calibration issues)
  38. Original Super Smash Bros
  39. Ocarina of Time
  40. Majora's Mask
  41. Yoshi Story
  42. Star Fox 64
  43. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  44. Snowboarding 1080°
  45. Wave Race 64
  46. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
  47. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
  48. Star Wars: Pod Racer
  49. Goldeneye 007
  50. Diddy Kong Racing
  51. Banjo Kazooie
  52. Donkey Kong 64
  53. Banjo Tooie
  54. Perfect Dark
  55. Jet Force Gemini
  56. Conker's Bad Fur Day
  57. Other great games on the N64 not listed above
  58. Super Mario 64 had no gimmicks in gameplay and was open-world.
  59. You can play as Adult Link or Child Link in Ocarina of Time. There's even a dungeon that requires using both of them.
  60. Pokemon Stadium games had color-coded players.
  61. Ocarina of Time and Paper Mario 64 had great soundtracks.
  62. Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 64.
  63. Paper Mario 64 had the best Paper Mario sidekicks.
  64. Best logo for a console.

Just letting you know, most of these reasons don't relate to my childhood. I listed the stuff many people liked about the N64. But some are personal reasons as well. You may not agree, but this sums up the 64 reasons why Nintendo 64 is the best console.

Well you did need Expansion Pak/memory thing for Majora's Mask, but yeah I agree it has a lot of great games.

Agrees with #62, that old-school rainbow road was the best.

Sheila;bt13064 said:
Well you did need Expansion Pak/memory thing for Majora's Mask, but yeah I agree it has a lot of great games.

Agrees with #62, that old-school rainbow road was the best.

Expansion Pack like I said in one of my reason wasn't the Expansion Pak for DK64 and MM, but it's another term for downloadable content. Like the expansion packs for iOS/Android games. Basically, all N64 games are full games.

Agreed 100℅ though I highly don't recommend blowing into your cartridges. It'll rust the connector pins in both the system and the cartridge faster. Instead try to hit the bottom of the cartridge lightly in your palm and put it back in. (Feel free to take my advice or not, just trying to help extend your cartridges life span longer to last you 20 more years. That and I have two n64s that both work and I had for pokemon stadium mini game competitions with friends to this day)

Last edited:
good list but it needs Goemon's Great Adventure literally the best game ever made

Back